+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit for part-time CPA program

PrettyKitty

Jun 18, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a question about my study permit for a 2-year part-time CPA program. I already applied for a Post-graduation Work Permit in June 8, 2016 and I'm still waiting for the decision to be made. I believe I'm qualified for a 3-year work permit. Meanwhile, I got a letter from the CPA saying that I'm qualified to enter the CPA program (start from Core 1 in this September). However, I am not enrolled in the program yet. I am now on Step 4 to register as a CPA Ontario Student. After this step, I will be enrolled in the CPA program. The CPA gives me 2 options:

Option 1: Register now and pay a fee of $819.25
Option 2: Register after June 30 and pay a fee of $480.25

My problem is my study permit. My Study Permit will be expired in July 31, 2016. In order for me to renew my study permit, I need the acceptance letter from the CPA, but it may take awhile and I need to renew my study permit at least 30 days before it will be expired. If I choose Option 1, I don't know how long it will take for the CPA to process the acceptance letter so that I have enough time to renew my Study Permit. If I choose Option 2, I cannot renew my old Study Permit, instead I have to request a new Study Permit. I don't know which option is better...

Is it ok if I request a new Study Permit for my part-time study while waiting for my Post-graduation Work Permit?

Thank you very much. All advice appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I doubt you need a study permit for the CPA. If the program is six months or less full time, you can study without a study permit.

PrettyKitty

Jun 18, 2016
scylla said:
I doubt you need a study permit for the CPA. If the program is six months or less full time, you can study without a study permit.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. It's a 2-year part-time program.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Winnie1234

Sep 19, 2018
Please give me some advice if you know about this matter. Thanks so much! :(
Hi. I’m in the exact situation right now. Can you please tell me what you did or a piece of advice? I am going through Recruit now and it’s frustrating to know if I can’t pursue the CPA dream after going through all the hard work

So my situation is:
1) I’ll probably receive a post-graduate work permit of 1-3 years because I only came to Canada for the prep courses.
2) I want to know if I can be enrolled in PEP courses on a part time basis for 2 years (apply for student permit??) while working

Thank you so much!

huuunili

Jan 22, 2020
Hi. I’m in the exact situation right now. Can you please tell me what you did or a piece of advice? I am going through Recruit now and it’s frustrating to know if I can’t pursue the CPA dream after going through all the hard work

So my situation is:
1) I’ll probably receive a post-graduate work permit of 1-3 years because I only came to Canada for the prep courses.
2) I want to know if I can be enrolled in PEP courses on a part time basis for 2 years (apply for student permit??) while working

Thank you so much!

Hi! I'm in the same situation now and was wondering what you did and how you did! I currently have a valid post graduation work permit and I would like to register for Core 1 this Spring. Please give me some advice if you ended up getting the part-time study permit and enrolled into PEP.

Thank you so much!!!!