March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Hello,

Has anyone here experience with applying for study permit for a minor accompanying an international student?
When your child got their permit after you were granted the study permit, did you have to show funds to pay for them in school. Children accompanying international students attend elementary and high school without paying extra.

According to rules, a TRV would be an option but those applications are not being accepted at this time.

Thanks.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello,

Has anyone here experience with applying for study permit for a minor accompanying an international student?
When your child got their permit after you were granted the study permit, did you have to show funds to pay for them in school. Children accompanying international students attend elementary and high school without paying extra.

According to rules, a TRV would be an option but those applications are not being accepted at this time.

Thanks.
I applied with my 4 kids, 3 of which needed study permits (above 5 years old). I didn't need to show funds for their fees. On the forms, for tuition fees I input "0". For my youngest who is only 2 years old, I applied for a TRV. We were all approved together.

Reactions: Vicksy and Dymanita

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
I applied with my 4 kids, 3 of which needed study permits (above 5 years old). I didn't need to show funds for their fees. On the forms, for tuition fees I input "0". For my youngest who is only 2 years old, I applied for a TRV. We were all approved together.
Thank you for this response.
The circumstances here are that parent now has a study permit, but did not apply for the son. Does applying after for a study permit for the child mean they have to show new funds?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you for this response.
The circumstances here are that parent now has a study permit, but did not apply for the son. Does applying after for a study permit for the child mean they have to show new funds?
I think you should at least show funds for living expenses.

maya08

Jul 1, 2021
Is it mandatory to apply study permit for children age above 5?
Cant visit visa fulfil the requirements?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Is it mandatory to apply study permit for children age above 5?
Cant visit visa fulfil the requirements?
I initially applied for TRV for my kids but IRCC emailed me and said they needed SPs so I paid the additional fees for SP. You should apply for SP to avoid issues.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Also, if you have a minor who only requires a TRV (younger than 5 years old) make sure you do medicals for them as well, cos their TRV will be for an extended period, more than 6 months.

maya08

Jul 1, 2021
I initially applied for TRV for my kids but IRCC emailed me and said they needed SPs so I paid the additional fees for SP. You should apply for SP to avoid issues.

6 minutes ago
Thanks for the prompt reply.
That means, IRCC asked you update the same application by paying additional fees for children's SPs ? Or they asked you to submit again.
Secondly, how long did it take to get decision after paying additional fee ?

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
6 minutes ago
That means, IRCC asked you update the same application by paying additional fees for children's SPs ? Or they asked you to submit again.
Technically TRV is enough but some VO ask for study permits. You will need to show that you have the extra funds to care for your child. Even with free schooling you may have extra childcare costs since school ends relatively early, higher housing costs, etc. Visas/permits are never guaranteed for family members of international students. There seems to be a much higher rate of approval if you are doing a more advanced degree like a masters or PhD.

Reactions: charliem

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
6 minutes ago
I just paid additional fees on my portal. All our applications were processed together and decision took 6 weeks.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Technically TRV is enough but some VO ask for study permits. You will need to show that you have the extra funds to care for your child. Even with free schooling you may have extra childcare costs since school ends relatively early, higher housing costs, etc. Visas/permits are never guaranteed for family members of international students. There seems to be a much higher rate of approval if you are doing a more advanced degree like a masters or PhD.
TRV is technically not enough anymore if your child requires a study permit and you are applying outside Canada. Virtually everyone I encountered on the FB groups in similar situation were asked to submit SP application for children older than 5 years. Some even had their application cancelled and asked to reapply from scratch.

Dymanita

Aug 20, 2019
I applied with my 4 kids, 3 of which needed study permits (above 5 years old). I didn't need to show funds for their fees. On the forms, for tuition fees,, I input "0". For my youngest who is only 2 years old, I applied for a TRV. We were all approved together.
Thanks for this. I've been having stress trying to figure out what to apply for my children. I've deleted the application twice now because I wasn't sure if I should apply for permit for them or visiting visa. This jas just cleared my confusion.

Did you apply for your partner too?

Do you know if they accept loans as proof of funds? That's another thing I haven't been able to figure out.

Please help me out with the relevant information you think will help my application successful.

Thank you.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks for this. I've been having stress trying to figure out what to apply for my children. I've deleted the application twice now because I wasn't sure if I should apply for permit for them or visiting visa. This jas just cleared my confusion.

Did you apply for your partner too?

Do you know if they accept loans as proof of funds? That's another thing I haven't been able to figure out.

Please help me out with the relevant information you think will help my application successful.

Thank you.
My spouse applied for his SOWP after we got our permits. He applied in May and it took 5 weeks for him to get his approval.
I think loan should be acceptable (I've seen a few people that used educational loans as PoF). I did not use loans though.

All the best!

Aug 25, 2022
I need a small assistance . My daughter is 5 years old, and both the parents are on Open work permits. When I'm trying to fill out the application form "imm1294e.pdf" there is a section "Details of Intended Study in Canada" , i want to know what did you mention for the School name, address, and Duration of the expected. study .
While answering the questionnaire, I also noticed that there is one question where i have to say yes for getting acceptance from school in Canada . What should i do over here ?

Regards,
Kishore.