+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit for candidate holding visitor visa

GetToCanada91

Aug 7, 2019
Hi

I have a multiple entry visitor visa and had a complication(you could know more about it in the other thread), after this happened like in few weeks i had to visit Canada again, after few hours sitting in the booth, i was admitted inside with a letter stating the same; as i mentioned to officer as it was emergency and i would return anyways in day or two because i had my flight back to home from USA within four days. If you follow the other thread i mentioned that i am in express entry pool (profile expired 2 days ago) and was waiting to give IELTS again to get a 7 band in writing section (in other sections i had 9,8,7.5). Following up if and when i get that, i was planning to get into a information security research lab (my previous job field) at an university to pursue PhD, I emailed to couple of professors and one of professor gave a positive reply and said she promised that they could take me into Jan 2020 intake with 20000 funding for each year for masters and then phd. Which pushed my time frame ahead and open to suggestions.
would i need to apply to study permit and if so what is difference between normal process and student direct stream?
would i get chance to explain about the complication (now that i will show sufficient funds and university funding) or would my profile just get rejected when i drop the application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have a multiple entry visitor visa and had a complication(you could know more about it in the other thread), after this happened like in few weeks i had to visit Canada again, after few hours sitting in the booth, i was admitted inside with a letter stating the same; as i mentioned to officer as it was emergency and i would return anyways in day or two because i had my flight back to home from USA within four days. If you follow the other thread i mentioned that i am in express entry pool (profile expired 2 days ago) and was waiting to give IELTS again to get a 7 band in writing section (in other sections i had 9,8,7.5). Following up if and when i get that, i was planning to get into a information security research lab (my previous job field) at an university to pursue PhD, I emailed to couple of professors and one of professor gave a positive reply and said she promised that they could take me into Jan 2020 intake with 20000 funding for each year for masters and then phd. Which pushed my time frame ahead and open to suggestions.
would i need to apply to study permit and if so what is difference between normal process and student direct stream?
would i get chance to explain about the complication (now that i will show sufficient funds and university funding) or would my profile just get rejected when i drop the application?
Of course you need a study permit and you would need a formal offer letter from the school. I am confused, were you given a specific time period to leave Canada by CBSA? Is it written in your passport? Am I right in saying you didn’t leave.

GetToCanada91

Aug 7, 2019
The initial incident/complication was not allowing me entry with nothing mentioned on passport, the later one border agent gave me some paperwork with specified intended period of stay and i had to submit when i drive back to USA to any Canadian border agent which i did. Nothing is on my passport expect the different visas i hold and travel stamps, i know there are some comments left on my profile about the initial incident.

I have an offer letter with the school.

GetToCanada91

Aug 7, 2019
i applied for masters i already have masters in usa, i was hoping to get into phd through the cyber lab but prof said as i didn't have thesis in that degree the university wouldn't accept me and suggested to apply for masters with full funding if i get good grades. i got the letter with these reasons

• I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions asked of you.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your history of having contravened the conditions of admission on a previous stay in Canada.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications, previous studies, missing marksheets, academic record, level of establishment/available financial resources, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i applied for masters i already have masters in usa, i was hoping to get into phd through the cyber lab but prof said as i didn't have thesis in that degree the university wouldn't accept me and suggested to apply for masters with full funding if i get good grades. i got the letter with these reasons

• I am not satisfied that you have truthfully answered all questions asked of you.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your history of having contravened the conditions of admission on a previous stay in Canada.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications, previous studies, missing marksheets, academic record, level of establishment/available financial resources, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.
You've been spending too much time in Canada as a visitor (living rather than visiting). I would recommend you wait 6-8 months before reapplying and establish stronger ties to your home country.

GetToCanada91

Aug 7, 2019
The study permit came in between it was never my intent. I was hoping to enroll to school only after PR but i am still in pool and however hard i try I cannot get past 6.5 in writing even though i have 9. & 8 in others.. the last time I gave it i did better than previous attempt in writing which was also 6.5 i was confident that 7.5 would be my score with the improved words and spelling but scorers had other ideas.. so I went ahead with study permit and Professor was hoping I would join in January as lab needed researchers with previous skills

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The study permit came in between it was never my intent. I was hoping to enroll to school only after PR but i am still in pool and however hard i try I cannot get past 6.5 in writing even though i have 9. & 8 in others.. the last time I gave it i did better than previous attempt in writing which was also 6.5 i was confident that 7.5 would be my score with the improved words and spelling but scorers had other ideas.. so I went ahead with study permit and Professor was hoping I would join in January as lab needed researchers with previous skills
Unfortunately that isn’t going to be possible. It was really unclear from your other post but it seems like you overstayed the amount of time CBSA allowed you to enter Canada. You also may have not mentioned a visa refusal. Did you receive a ban for not answer questions truthfully? The fact that you already have a masters and are applying for PR are other problems. Would recommend that you work hard to retake your IELTS, you can try applying to other PhD programs or look at PNP options.

GetToCanada91

Aug 7, 2019
i never overstayed in canada (5 months). i did not get any ban and i did not have any visa refusal. i was not allowed to enter at port of entry was given allowed to leave voluntary withdrawal form there were no bans or remarks on passport. i did mention the exact to officer in a explanation letter.