+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit for apprenticeship program?

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
Hi I am a 21 year old American student trying to find a way to stay in Canada with my girlfriend. I was originally looking at registering for a 6 month program in Canada and obtain a study/work permit and than a post school permit to work after I finish my program. I was advised by this forum that a 6 month program would probably not work and it was too short and I should try to get into a 8 month or longer program.

I am now looking at a 10 month program but it is part of a 4 year apprenticeship program. Once I finish the 10 month program it will be equivalent to completing the first 2 years of a 4 year apprenticeship (practical/technical) program. Will I be approved for this? What are my chances to obtain a study/work permit for the program so I can work while going to school and will I be approved for a post study work permit? Do they even approve apprenticeship programs for international students?

Thanks so much for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Rkfletch said:
Hi I am a 21 year old American student trying to find a way to stay in Canada with my girlfriend. I was originally looking at registering for a 6 month program in Canada and obtain a study/work permit and than a post school permit to work after I finish my program. I was advised by this forum that a 6 month program would probably not work and it was too short and I should try to get into a 8 month or longer program.

I am now looking at a 10 month program but it is part of a 4 year apprenticeship program. Once I finish the 10 month program it will be equivalent to completing the first 2 years of a 4 year apprenticeship (practical/technical) program. Will I be approved for this? What are my chances to obtain a study/work permit for the program so I can work while going to school and will I be approved for a post study work permit? Do they even approve apprenticeship programs for international students?

Thanks so much for your help.
1. You would only get a 10 month PGWP if the course was recognized by IRCC, not all Designated Learning Institutions programs are eligible for a PGWP.
2. Most provinces require registered apprentices to be PRs or Canadian citizens.
3. Have you looked into SWAP? http://www.swap.ca/in_eng/

Rkfletch

Sep 8, 2016
I didn't thin the IEC program was not available for U.S. citizens? When I look at the Canada Immigration site it does not list USA