+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
Hey people,

My boyfriend lives in Canada right now as an international student and his study permit ends on July, 2020. In fact, his second semester ends on April, 2020 but he has got co-op which is going to be last till August,2020. To get this, he has to apply for the extension of study permit till August.

He wants to travel to India in the month of march for the purpose of our engagement as I want to apply for PR, can he visit India while his application is under process ? Would the immigration allow him to re-enter to Canada ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Since the study permit doesn't grant him access to Canada, just gives him permission to study there, provided he has a valid visa in his passport he can re-enter.

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
He wants to visit India just for 15 days in March as his semester ends in April.
So he will take permission from college for visiting home country while the term is on going.
But if he comes back after 15 days while his application for extension is on going would they allow him to finish the semester ?

Since the study permit doesn't grant him access to Canada, just gives him permission to study there, provided he has a valid visa in his passport he can re-enter.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're asking me if he'll be permitted to finish his semester, while on an approved break, and before his study permit expires?

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
Yes,
As his application would be in process while his comeback to Canada,
If they let him enter but in any case if they will not allow him to finish his semester, would that be the case you're saying?

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
His semester is on going, so he will take permission from college to have break.

And I understand your point that he has valid study permit but if we file for it's extension due to co-op, would the old study permit be continued?

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
So he will take permission from college for visiting home country while the term is on going.
Is this an authorized break like reading week or he will just ask for 2 weeks off while there are on-going classes for the purpose of the engagement?

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
He does not have any reading break throughout his whole semester, so he has to take 2 weeks off for this purpose as I have put my PR file.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
His semester is on going, so he will take permission from college to have break.

And I understand your point that he has valid study permit but if we file for it's extension due to co-op, would the old study permit be continued?
If it's an approved break, why would the old permit be cancelled?

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
If it's an approved break, why would the old permit be cancelled?
That's where I had doubt, that if his new extension application would be under process, will it cancel the old one ?
You helped so much, I guess I'm clear now.
Thank you.

richmond08

Jan 4, 2020
He does not have any reading break throughout his whole semester, so he has to take 2 weeks off for this purpose as I have put my PR file.
As long as the school approved his break for 2 weeks while there are on-going classes I think he'll be fine. Just provide explanation letter to your application in the future as to why he had to take 2 weeks off break even if it is not semestral break or official school break (reading week, winter break, etc).

And no, I don't see any reason for the old one to be cancelled while the extension is under process.

RutviDalal

Jan 15, 2020
Thank you so much. You helped a lot by analysing and answering.
As long as the school approved his break for 2 weeks while there are on-going classes I think he'll be fine. Just provide explanation letter to your application in the future as to why he had to take 2 weeks off break even if it is not semestral break or official school break (reading week, winter break, etc).

And no, I don't see any reason for the old one to be cancelled while the extension is under process.