+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit extension

Rigesh lama

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Thimphu
hello guys i am glad to hear about your applications being approved, i wanted to ask some question hoepfully you will be able to help. so i applied for my study permit extension on may 11 paper based. and they said it will take 112days , if it is done online then it takes 35 working days. can i link my paper application online?? does this reduce my processing time or will have no effect. please help i wanted to apply for my spouse open work permit outland and because of my extension it has been stagnant, i would really appreciate your help

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
hello guys i am glad to hear about your applications being approved, i wanted to ask some question hoepfully you will be able to help. so i applied for my study permit extension on may 11 paper based. and they said it will take 112days , if it is done online then it takes 35 working days. can i link my paper application online?? does this reduce my processing time or will have no effect. please help i wanted to apply for my spouse open work permit outland and because of my extension it has been stagnant, i would really appreciate your help
Linking your paper based application online will not provide any help...you can withdraw from your paper based application and apply online

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an answer to my dilemma. Some background, I had applied for a thesis based master's program at Waterloo but was accepted into a course based program. The thesis based program is 24 months and the course based is 16 months. Based on this, I applied for a study permit for 16 months. However, afterwards, I was able to get in touch with a professor who said he will take me on as a student and transfer me to a thesis based masters. This was my ultimate goal, for many reasons.

So, I will have to apply for an extension around 3 months before my permit expires so i can finish up my thesis based degree. My worry is that if if my study permit is denied, I won't be able to graduate with ANY degree as the requirements of course based and research based degrees differ significantly.

So what can I do? I understand that almost every study permit extension applicant probably faces this dilemma; so I'm just here seeking some advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an answer to my dilemma. Some background, I had applied for a thesis based master's program at Waterloo but was accepted into a course based program. The thesis based program is 24 months and the course based is 16 months. Based on this, I applied for a study permit for 16 months. However, afterwards, I was able to get in touch with a professor who said he will take me on as a student and transfer me to a thesis based masters. This was my ultimate goal, for many reasons.

So, I will have to apply for an extension around 3 months before my permit expires so i can finish up my thesis based degree. My worry is that if if my study permit is denied, I won't be able to graduate with ANY degree as the requirements of course based and research based degrees differ significantly.

So what can I do? I understand that almost every study permit extension applicant probably faces this dilemma; so I'm just here seeking some advice.
If you have been passing your courses up to this point and there are no changes in your ability to pay for school there is no reason for your extension to be rejected. You are making a minor change while staying the same school and doing the same level of course. I wouldn't worry too much about the extension.

Mihir1111

Dec 29, 2018
Hi,Guys
Anyone here can help me by telling me the required documents or documnets checklist for study permit extension.If there is anyone, please tell me as soon as possible thank you very much.

Helipatel42

Apr 28, 2018
Go to cic website and see section of how to apply for study permit and in that documents required for the same. I think what you need is
Passport copy
Offer letter from the college
Fee receipt from college
And the letter why you are doing the program
This is my rough knowledge on the basis of my experience but it was long time ago.

Good luck!

manikcheetu

Sep 6, 2017
I applied for study permit extension on March 6th and it hasn't been updated.
Has anyone got any messages or updates on their application?
Thank you
hi can you please tell what to fill in the column of
the cost of my studies and funds available for the stay?
thanks