+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension

RedBerry

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,

I have a study visa related question.

I started my college in Sep 2017 in Toronto and my 2nd semester will complete by end of April 2018 and it does not have a Co-OP. I have applied for another study program which will start in Sep 2018. My current study permit and TRV expires May 31, 2018. I am not planning to go out of country in 2018. and my college transcripts will be available by July 2018.

My question is - since I will get a new study permit for the new course starting Sep 2018, should I extend my current study permit for the 3 months from June to Aug ?

I plan to work full time in summer and I have landed some interviews. If I get a full time job with a company who is ready to sponsor me then will I have to apply for PGWP or can I work full time on the extended study permit? How does it work?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
if your first program completes April 2018 and the next program starts September 2018 you cannot work during the summer. The ability to work on a study permit applies when it is a scheduled course break not a break between 2 different course programs.

See same question asked before by someone else

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/taking-a-gap-between-two-courses.524712/

As for the PGWP you need to apply for that whilst your study permit is still valid and also when you have a completion letter from the course finishing April 2018 so and others can correct me you will probably need to extend the study permit anyway from a timing viewpoint. Only completing the first course does somewhat restrict the potential length of the PGWP.

Reactions: PARAM-

Anujoy143

Nov 12, 2017
Hi there,
my spouse is in canada. Her visa and study permit expires on july 30th, but she got her classes till August'18 end.. We have also applied her for another 1 yr course(and got offer letter a week back) to join from sep'18 intake..

Seniors requests your help to clarify how I could also do the visa and study permit extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,
my spouse is in canada. Her visa and study permit expires on july 30th, but she got her classes till August'18 end.. We have also applied her for another 1 yr course(and got offer letter a week back) to join from sep'18 intake..

Seniors requests your help to clarify how I could also do the visa and study permit extension.
She needs to apply for a study permit extension. You can also apply for an owp based on her study permit but there is no guarantees that it will be approved.

Reactions: Anujoy143

Anujoy143

Nov 12, 2017
She needs to apply for a study permit extension. You can also apply for an owp based on her study permit but there is no guarantees that it will be approved.
Thanks for the response @canuck78.
As her current course will complete only by Aug'18..how should i go about filling the form5709 for extension..as the section 'detail of intended study in canada' got space to fill the details of 1 college only..
So in this case..shen will need to apply for extension based on the current course and then apply again with the new college, after securing extension for current course? OR is there a way we can apply both in one go ?

Krishna13

May 19, 2018
if your first program completes April 2018 and the next program starts September 2018 you cannot work during the summer. The ability to work on a study permit applies when it is a scheduled course break not a break between 2 different course programs.

See same question asked before by someone else

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/taking-a-gap-between-two-courses.524712/

As for the PGWP you need to apply for that whilst your study permit is still valid and also when you have a completion letter from the course finishing April 2018 so and others can correct me you will probably need to extend the study permit anyway from a timing viewpoint. Only completing the first course does somewhat restrict the potential length of the PGWP.
Hi Bro...

I need your precious suggestions... I have a situation which I would like to discuss with you... If anyone has recently completed 1yr studies in canada... and again wants to get himself enrolled for another 1 year program... it means 1 + 1 yr program... just because to obtain 3 years PGWP...

My current study permit expires in december 2018 and plans on attending a different school in Manitoba (still a DLI) however it will be for a January 2019 Intake.

So now the query is..

1. Should I apply for study permit extension even though it starts in January Or I will need a new study permit..???? And what is the success rate.. that officer would again issue Or allow us for a study permit extension?

2. How easy to obtain study permit extension if applying within Canada?

3. More importantly, do we again need to show the proof of funds.. It is reflecting as one of the options which is mandatory to show while trying to apply online on CIC's website... For example, if another one year program cost us $15,000 then do we again have to show money in my bank account ... like In the same manner.. I showed them when I first applied from India .??
And suppose.. if I am not having enough balance in my back account then I would not be issued an extension...? funds available, i am quite not sure what to put, as my bank statements show a total balance of $500 and i already paid ONLY 1 semester fees, I dont want the cic thinnking i cannot sustain myself as my available balance is low.

4.Is getting an extension approved easier than when you apply for the first time ? As in are they less likely to refuse (as long as you have all the documentation of course) ?

Please note : (Previous study permit not expired)

I am sure you could assist ...it would be a great help...
Thanks in advance... :)