+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension???

harmeet1986

Jun 17, 2012
I am a student of Humber college, Toronto. My course duration is 8 months from Jan to August but its ending on 25 july now. My visa is till 31st Aug. Should i apply for study permit extension to keep myself on safe side???

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
harmeet1986 said:
I am a student of Humber college, Toronto. My course duration is 8 months from Jan to August but its ending on 25 july now. My visa is till 31st Aug. Should i apply for study permit extension to keep myself on safe side???
When you apply for a study permit extension, your institution has to issue an official departmental letter confirming the duration of your program of study. Since your program is terminating, they shall not be able to issue it. The same applies for an off-campus work permit, which even if you apply for now, you must return it to CIC when you cease to be a student, as instructed by the guide here.

sanity

Jun 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th July 2011
IELTS Request
Empirical-Scientist,

The study permit is usually issued for 3 months ahead of the course end date.
Would the OP be able to continue working on the OCWP for a while ( 90 day period) before he apply for the PGWP?

for eg: If the course duration is until Dec 12 & the study permit is issued until March 13 then should he surrender the off campus work permit at the end of Dec 12 ? My understanding is that he can continue to work full time (as the course is over) after dec 12 and apply for PGWP within 90 days of the study permit being expired i.e March 13 - Did I get this right?

thankyou!

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
I think the 90-day period is a valid buffer time to apply. However, once the study is over, the International Affairs Office at the participating institution normally verifies that the study permit is not valid and may advise CIC. As for the OCWP, it must be surrendered when the studies terminate, not when it expires (because then it's invalid by default). Applying for a PGWP seems reasonable at the end. I, for instance, applied for a PGWP two months before I officially convocated. My PGWP arrived roughly a month after I convocated. I was still legal because I was covered by the 90-day period since convocation :).