+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension with no extra 90 days to apply for PGWP + medical exam required

reshah

May 26, 2018
Hi all,

I am an international master student, and I will be finishing my master degree in August. My study permit expires on May 30th. I applied for a study permit extension, for the duration of the summer semester, on April 20th and I got my extension approved yesterday (May 25th).

However, the extension I got was only for 3 months (until August 31st), which expires the same day as I finish my studies. I was not granted the 90 extra days needed to apply for PGWP.
I'm concerned since after defending my thesis in August, I will need at least a couple of weeks to finalize my papers and get the final transcript or the degree certificate, needed to apply for PGWP. However, by that time I will be out of status.

Furthermore, my extension has a condition that I have to do an immigration medical examination, although I wasn't asked to do one for my study permit application in 2016, and I didn't leave Canada since I landed.

Anyone who has been in similar situations?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: