+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension....tricky situation?

French_guy

Jul 27, 2023
Hello,
I'm helping my daughter who will have to file online (form IMM5709) for a study permit extension as soon as she returns to Canada (Montreal) at the begining of September 2024
We are French nationals, leaving in the USA under work visa (my daughter being a dependent)
Our visa expires in July this year (but our I-94 are valid until at least next year)
AND we will be filing for Adjustment of Status at the very beginning of July (green card in process)
My question is about section "Personal details" from form IMM5709, question #8:
"Previous countries or territories of residence: During the past five years, have you lived in any country or territory other than your country of citizenship or your current country or territory of residence for more than 6 months"

- Her country of citizenship is France
- Her country of current residence is Canada since she will be filing from within Canada
So yes, during the last 5 years, she's been living in the USA, and she will have to respond "Yes" to question #8, and mention "Other" in the "Status" cell, and explain in the "Other" cell
But knowing she will file in September when she is back in Canada, our/her visa will have expired.....
So what should be right answer then?
If she put "Visa", she will most likely have to provide a copy of her visa, which will have expired. I don't want IRCC to see this as a problem and reject the extension
If we put "Visa / I-94", the 2 documents will at least show she's always maintained her status in the US
Should we put somehting about the Adjustment of Status being pending?
Thanks for your guidance