+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension to get work permit

bela111

Jun 16, 2019
Hi,

I am planning to start my post graduation diploma in Canada as a foreign student. Most of the colleges and universities are offering 1 year post graduation diploma program, which means I will get only 1 year work permit. However, I was told that if I extend my study permit and study for another year, I will be able to get 3 years work permit. My question is, does extending study permit for another one year give me 3 years work permit? or the visa personnel will only count the first 1 year study duration and give me 1 year work permit ?

Please help!

Thanks

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi,

I am planning to start my post graduation diploma in Canada as a foreign student. Most of the colleges and universities are offering 1 year post graduation diploma program, which means I will get only 1 year work permit. However, I was told that if I extend my study permit and study for another year, I will be able to get 3 years work permit. My question is, does extending study permit for another one year give me 3 years work permit? or the visa personnel will only count the first 1 year study duration and give me 1 year work permit ?

Please help!

Thanks
If you take two 1 year programs back to back and they are both elligable you will get 3 years pgwp. It is normal for almost every student to get pgwp after completing school here and perfectly legal.

bela111

Jun 16, 2019
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

If you take two 1 year programs back to back and they are both elligable you will get 3 years pgwp. It is normal for almost every student to get pgwp after completing school here and perfectly legal.