+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Huge Delay

amr1235h

Nov 26, 2019
It'with SOWP extension. Yeah hopefully i get update soon.. I have to travel outside that's y i am worrying more and i heard they are taking longer time for vida stamping as well.. Around 20-25 days.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Received my Study permit in mail. It is valid till 31st March 2020.
I need to extend it one more time for my new program (PG certificate) that's gonna start next month (January 2020).
When will be the ideal time to submit it for extension? I was planning it to do by January mid as by that time, I will have the transcripts with grade and course completion letter with me.

Also, do I need to extend my TRV (visa). I don't have any plans to exit the country till 2021. I understand it's okay to have an expired visa but always recommended to update it to accommodate life's uncertainties. Since my SP extension took so much time(almost 5 months), I just want to be on safe side.

I assume it's okay to submit the expired visa (TRV) page when we're submitting the passport category during study permit extension. As of today, I see that students in Canada need to submit their biometrics (the total visa extension fees is now $100 +$85 = $185).

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Received my Study permit in mail. It is valid till 31st March 2020.
I need to extend it one more time for my new program (PG certificate) that's gonna start next month (January 2020).
When will be the ideal time to submit it for extension? I was planning it to do by January mid as by that time, I will have the transcripts with grade and course completion letter with me.

Also, do I need to extend my TRV (visa). I don't have any plans to exit the country till 2021. I understand it's okay to have an expired visa but always recommended to update it to accommodate life's uncertainties. Since my SP extension took so much time(almost 5 months), I just want to be on safe side.

I assume it's okay to submit the expired visa (TRV) page when we're submitting the passport category during study permit extension. As of today, I see that students in Canada need to submit their biometrics (the total visa extension fees is now $100 +$85 = $185).
If no plans to exit, don't extend TRV now.
When does your new PG program start ?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
And it's okay to show expired visa page while submitting documents, right?
You mean TRV ?

TRV is irrelevant to them.

All they care about while extending is Study Permit Copy , New LOA , old transcripts, funds, passport pages etc.

( TRV= Visa Sticker )

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
You mean TRV ?

TRV is irrelevant to them.

All they care about while extending is Study Permit Copy , New LOA , old transcripts, funds, passport pages etc.

( TRV= Visa Sticker )
Hi,
I have another query. I am planning to apply for US Visiting visa though I don't intend to travel any time soon. Is it okay when i am submitting the application, my TRV for Canada is expired?

yogeshborad

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Hii brother. I am waiting for SP extension. It has been 140 days but still in process.. can you help me for this situation.?
Thank u

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Get GCMS notes !
To know why or what happened to your application that is still in process.

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
Get GCMS notes !
To know why or what happened to your application that is still in process.
Can I order by self or I need( is it mandatory) to mention about representative information as well, because Now I appoint a representative on my Stuck Study permit extension application.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

Johncerb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
Hi,
I applied for my study permit extension on July 10, 2019. It's been 138 days (95 Working days) I have been without any status update except for a monthly update to inform me that there has been no update to your application. I called IRCC and sent several webforms, clearly explaining my predicament and problems I have been facing (by educational loan is funded from a nationalized bank in India, it is my duty to present them with updated study permit proof when my original document expires) but the responses were generic like "we're working on it" "can't comment on how long will it take" or "doing verification". One told me that IRCC can even take up to February end, 2020-i.e, the maximum time they are allowed to make a decision.

I myself applied for my first study permit back home (India) and I got it within 20 days (Of course that's a different scenario). I helped many of my peers and classmates to apply for their study permit extensions and they all received within the processing time set by CIC (average: 25-40 days).

My Profile and Timeline

• Came to London, Ontario in September 2018 for a 1 year Information Technology PG certificate program with a Study permit expiring on September 30, 2019
  • Had to withdrew from my program in October 2018 as it was too difficult and my program expectations were different.
  • Joined in a new business PG certificate program in the same college for 2019 January. The new program length is 1 year. Like few programs in our college, it had a scheduled summer break in middle of the program.
  • Completed my first semester in April 2019- with good grades. I also got a part time job in March and worked less than 20 hours every week).Summer break starts and since it is a scheduled break, i worked full time (less than 40 hours per week) during the break.
  • Applied for SP extension on July 10, 2019 as my original Study permit expires on September 30, 2019. Applied with all relevant documents, offer letter that says my program ends on December 26, 2019 transcripts and proof of funds (I confirmed that with the Agent in order to check whether I applied with any missing documents or incorrect proofs- they told me they received everything they need from me).
  • Resumed my 2nd semester in September 2019 and continuing my program now. In 3 weeks our finals exams will be over and the program will be done.
Dilemma and Questions

• I have been in implied status for almost 2 months now. Is there any implication involved in graduating under Implied Status.
  • In August 2019, I took admission for new IT/Business (1 year PG certificate) program that's going to start in January 2020 (in order to take advantage of studying 2 years and to receive maximum 2-3 years PGWP). I received the offer letter in September 2019 and this program ends on August 2020. In my study permit extension I didn't get to present these as I didn't had any of these with me.
  • I was expecting to apply for the new study permit extension for the new program starting on January 2020 when I receive my current extended study permit- no one expected this delay.
  • Can I continue studying and start a new program under implied status. CIC doesn't make any distinction whether to continue studying (in my case starting a new program) on implied status.
  • If it is not a good idea to continue studying after my current program ends and I don't receive my extended study permit, I was planning to defer my admission to next intake (May 2020).
  • I also have to stop working and need to give notice period to my current employer as to part on good terms.
Have you received your study permit extension yet.