+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
I applied for extension and when I left the country, my study permit was valid. I was gonna come back before it expired. But because of the current situation, I couldn't come back. And also, they didn't inform me that I am out of status. They say that I am still in process. Where is this information that I am out of status?
"If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I applied for extension and when I left the country, my study permit was valid. I was gonna come back before it expired. But because of the current situation, I couldn't come back. And also, they didn't inform me that I am out of status. They say that I am still in process. Where is this information that I am out of status?
So I am in Canada right now and say for example my study permit expires before I get extension. Because I am in Canada waiting for the decision to my extension I am allowed to study based on 'implied status'. But if at any time I leave Canada, then I will lose my implied status and therefore lose my status. So i don't know for you if you are out of status then you might need to apply for visitor visa to come back to Canada or Study permit

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
"If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html
You are 'processing' your application but your TRV is out of 'status' i.e. expired

aydongs

May 6, 2020
So I am in Canada right now and say for example my study permit expires before I get extension. Because I am in Canada waiting for the decision to my extension I am allowed to study based on 'implied status'. But if at any time I leave Canada, then I will lose my implied status and therefore lose my status. So i don't know for you if you are out of status then you might need to apply for visitor visa to come back to Canada or Study permit
I need to apply for visa anyways, because I was in Canada when I applied, I had to apply for visa after my extension approved. As soon as I get my approval, I will apply for the visa again. But even though, I lost my imply status, my application should be still on process.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I need to apply for visa anyways, because I was in Canada when I applied, I had to apply for visa after my extension approved. As soon as I get my approval, I will apply for the visa again. But even though, I lost my imply status, my application should be still on process.
Yes, more or less correct. It will only be a problem for you if your application is not approved before your July start date.

aydongs

May 6, 2020
Yes, more or less correct. It will only be a problem for you if your application is not approved before your July start date.
It has been 6 months already. They have to approve it some point. I don't know what to do really. I sent web forms, feedback and talked to the agent but nobody know why it took this long. I am starting to stay sane but it is really hard. Do you think it work, if I work with a lawyer?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
It has been 6 months already. They have to approve it some point. I don't know what to do really. I sent web forms, feedback and talked to the agent but nobody know why it took this long. I am starting to stay sane but it is really hard. Do you think it work, if I work with a lawyer?
6 months.....is unheard of. Even the November folks were going on around 160 days. I would definitely follow up with an agent via phone, something is definitely wrong.

aydongs

May 6, 2020
6 months.....is unheard of. Even the November folks were going on around 160 days. I would definitely follow up with an agent via phone, something is definitely wrong.
I called them. She said that there is no note, no additional documents required, it's on process. I just talked to them yesterday

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Yes, he is out of status and cannot study. He also will need to apply for a TRV to return to Canada if his current one has expired. He needn't wait to get the printed SP, but he will have to show a proof of the same at the POE.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I hope you get a response soon from them. Depending on how the pandemic affects IRCC's operation in your region, you might have to wait for a bit before your visitor's visa is approved. Just be positive and all will turn out well eventually.

Reactions: aydongs

mnsq41

May 11, 2020
Well, to make you guys feel better, my application from Nov 16 is not even under review for eligibility yet. I spoke to an agent this morning, and he said it is indeed way passed the processing time, so he told me to submit a web form explaining that i need my co-op work permit to continue working as an intern. He told me that would definitely help with my application process. I did what he told me to, and a couple hours later, i received yet another generic covid response from CIC.

I am just so dissatisfied, we are paying huge amount of money to study in Canada but this is all we get. The application itself isn't free either, we have to pay 150$ each time to open a new application. I wouldn't have applied in november if i knew they're not processing applications in chronological order. I am tempted to complain on the IRCC website, but afraid that might affect my application decision.

Reactions: aydongs

aydongs

May 6, 2020
Well, to make you guys feel better, my application from Nov 16 is not even under review for eligibility yet. I spoke to an agent this morning, and he said it is indeed way passed the processing time, so he told me to submit a web form explaining that i need my co-op work permit to continue working as an intern. He told me that would definitely help with my application process. I did what he told me to, and a couple hours later, i received yet another generic covid response from CIC.

I am just so dissatisfied, we are paying huge amount of money to study in Canada but this is all we get. The application itself isn't free either, we have to pay 150$ each time to open a new application. I wouldn't have applied in november if i knew they're not processing applications in chronological order. I am tempted to complain on the IRCC website, but afraid that might affect my application decision.
This is incredibly frustrating and no reason at all. I hope you get your approval as soon as possible. But literally, I am having the most stressful times of my life in these days.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I hope you get a response soon from them. Depending on how the pandemic affects IRCC's operation in your region, you might have to wait for a bit before your visitor's visa is approved. Just be positive and all will turn out well eventually.
@kloppity How long after receiving the biometrics correspondence did your SPE get approved?

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Wow!

Considering how frustrated I was that my application - which was made 6 days after yours - took almost 160 days before approval, I can't imagine what you must be going through. I am not sure if it has something to do with the fact that you also need a CO-OP permit. I can't even tell you to keep calm as it is way past the processing times. If it helps, you can contact the IRCC Facebook page directly via messenger. They should be able to help. Alternately, you can contact your local MP (my understanding is they aren't getting much info now) to ask about your application status and what is responsible for the holdup.

My understanding is that the Edmonton office, which processes in-Canada TRV applications, may be understaffed normally (before Corona) since they moved from Vegreville with some staffs choosing not to relocate. Although, I do think they could do more to fasten the SP extension timelines. Might also have something to do with the growing number of international students. I remember extension timelines around 2017-2018 was 45 days on average.