+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension at US/Canada border

garrettp

Nov 28, 2019
Hello,

I am an international student at Concordia University and I am hoping to get my study permit extended since it expires on 31/12/2019. I was only given this term of what should've been until 08/2020 because of a document error with Concordia when applying at the Montreal airport office.

Since time is running out and online processing says 99 days, I am thinking about going to the Quebec/US border to flagpole in order to receive my extension. I haven't done this before and I'm originally from California and not the eastern US. I am nervous about being rejected or even how to do this process since I'd be doing this alone in an unfamiliar area.

Has anyone successfully done this at the St Bernard-de-Lacolle and St-Armand/Philipsburg border? Concordia told me I could buy a bus ticket that stops at the border and I can take a bus back to Montreal. All info and tips are welcome! Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I am an international student at Concordia University and I am hoping to get my study permit extended since it expires on 31/12/2019. I was only given this term of what should've been until 08/2020 because of a document error with Concordia when applying at the Montreal airport office.

Since time is running out and online processing says 99 days, I am thinking about going to the Quebec/US border to flagpole in order to receive my extension. I haven't done this before and I'm originally from California and not the eastern US. I am nervous about being rejected or even how to do this process since I'd be doing this alone in an unfamiliar area.

Has anyone successfully done this at the St Bernard-de-Lacolle and St-Armand/Philipsburg border? Concordia told me I could buy a bus ticket that stops at the border and I can take a bus back to Montreal. All info and tips are welcome! Thanks
You can just apply online. You will have Implied Status and can continue your studies after Dec 31 while waiting for your new study permit.

garrettp

Nov 28, 2019
You can just apply online. You will have Implied Status and can continue your studies after Dec 31 while waiting for your new study permit.
I was going to do that and might very soon. It's just that my international student's office strongly recommended this method because I am a US citizen. But they also said that if I apply and I am refused, I'd have to reinstate my student status and that's more trouble. I am graduating in June 2020.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was going to do that and might very soon. It's just that my international student's office strongly recommended this method because I am a US citizen. But they also said that if I apply and I am refused, I'd have to reinstate my student status and that's more trouble. I am graduating in June 2020.
As long as you show proof of your program end date, you should have no issues with an extension.