+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension and Work Off-campus

May 29, 2020
Hello,
I finished my 2-year diploma in Canada DLI college and I have failed 1 subject, I was supposed to finish my studies in April 2020, the course that I have failed is only offering in January 2021 and my study permit expires in December 2020.
My question is, I have no study in the upcoming September intake and for 1 course that I will take in January 2021, I have to apply for a study permit extension. Can I work off-campus?, also can I extend my study permit? will any of this impact when I apply for PGWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I finished my 2-year diploma in Canada DLI college and I have failed 1 subject, I was supposed to finish my studies in April 2020, the course that I have failed is only offering in January 2021 and my study permit expires in December 2020.
My question is, I have no study in the upcoming September intake and for 1 course that I will take in January 2021, I have to apply for a study permit extension. Can I work off-campus?, also can I extend my study permit? will any of this impact when I apply for PGWP?
You are no longer allowed to work and as you will not be studying for over 150 days, you must either change your status to visitor or leave Canada and then apply for a new study permit.

Yes, expect that you will be refused a PGWP.

May 29, 2020
You are no longer allowed to work and as you will not be studying for over 150 days, you must either change your status to visitor or leave Canada and then apply for a new study permit.

Yes, expect that you will be refused a PGWP.
Hello, thank you for your reply.
I was wondering that, if I take some upgrading courses or open studies in fall intake in order to be a full-time student, will that help me get my study permit extension and can I work as well? because if I take this step then I will be free without study less then 150 days.

if this won't work than do you have any better suggestions which can be helpful for me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, thank you for your reply.
I was wondering that, if I take some upgrading courses or open studies in fall intake in order to be a full-time student, will that help me get my study permit extension and can I work as well? because if I take this step then I will be free without study less then 150 days.

if this won't work than do you have any better suggestions which can be helpful for me.
You can't work, as you are no longer on a scheduled break from your program.

You can take more classes and apply for an extension.