+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit extension and visa restoration - Complicated case

Diljot Kaur

Sep 24, 2018
Please find below the detailed explanation of my application:
I applied for my study permit extension and my status restoration. I am a student residing in Montreal and my institution is CDI college. My previous CAQ and study permit expired on 15th Mar 2021. I applied for renewal of CAQ almost 3 months before its expiration on Dec 24, 2021. Due to certain reasons, there was a temporary suspension of certain foreign student program applications on Dec 30, 2020 for some colleges and CDI college was one of the institutions concerned. Finally on Jan 12, 2021, there was a resumption of processing of applications for temporary studies which caused a delay in processing my CAQ.

After a long wait for my CAQ, I decided to apply for my study permit on 19th Mar 2021(my study permit already expired by then) without a new CAQ which I received on 24th Mar 2021. I was asked to submit the additional document that was CAQ on 9th May 2021 which I submitted on 11th May 2021. It has been more than 3 months since I submitted my additional document and almost 5 months since I applied my for my study permit extension and status restoration, but I haven’t received an update. I have raised several webforms and ATIP requests but to no avail.

My study is on pause which is having an impact on my educational career. Also, my new CAQ will expire in October and I am just left with one course of my studies. Do i need to apply for CAQ again in case i don't get my study permit and extension by that time. Is there anything my college can help with? How long does it take for Study permit extension and visa restoration? Please advise.
I am so stressed. I have raised several web forms and requested GCMS notes twice but to no avail. Please help.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Please find below the detailed explanation of my application:
I applied for my study permit extension and my status restoration. I am a student residing in Montreal and my institution is CDI college. My previous CAQ and study permit expired on 15th Mar 2021. I applied for renewal of CAQ almost 3 months before its expiration on Dec 24, 2021. Due to certain reasons, there was a temporary suspension of certain foreign student program applications on Dec 30, 2020 for some colleges and CDI college was one of the institutions concerned. Finally on Jan 12, 2021, there was a resumption of processing of applications for temporary studies which caused a delay in processing my CAQ.

After a long wait for my CAQ, I decided to apply for my study permit on 19th Mar 2021(my study permit already expired by then) without a new CAQ which I received on 24th Mar 2021. I was asked to submit the additional document that was CAQ on 9th May 2021 which I submitted on 11th May 2021. It has been more than 3 months since I submitted my additional document and almost 5 months since I applied my for my study permit extension and status restoration, but I haven’t received an update. I have raised several webforms and ATIP requests but to no avail.

My study is on pause which is having an impact on my educational career. Also, my new CAQ will expire in October and I am just left with one course of my studies. Do i need to apply for CAQ again in case i don't get my study permit and extension by that time. Is there anything my college can help with? How long does it take for Study permit extension and visa restoration? Please advise.
I am so stressed. I have raised several web forms and requested GCMS notes twice but to no avail. Please help.
Im not sure what i am about to say, but you shouldnt have let your study permit expired whilst you had only one course left. You could have applied without CAQ, finish that one course. Now i dont know what comes first, but i suppose restoration then you apply for SP after restoration…. But seems like you did both at the same time

Diljot Kaur

Sep 24, 2018
I had no idea initially that we could have applied without CAQ, but then someone advised to apply without CAQ. I am stressed and I don't know what to do!

Diljot Kaur

Sep 24, 2018
Should i reapply for CAQ again well before hand as my new issued CAQ will also expire on 31st October?
or all I can do is wait for my study permit and visa restoration?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I had no idea initially that we could have applied without CAQ, but then someone advised to apply without CAQ. I am stressed and I don't know what to do!
You could have done that. Never run out of status!! Rule number 1. If you did that then you would have “implied status” and continue with your studies, finish and apply for pgwp

Reactions: Diljot Kaur

Diljot Kaur

Sep 24, 2018
Hi All,

I have finally restored my status as a student and my new study permit is valid till 31st Oct 2021(till the expiry of my CAQ). I am left with just one course which I have requested my college to examine me and give away the completion certificate for my studies at the earliest. Now the question is that I just have 12 days and my status again may be lost in case I don't reapply for either PGWP or study permit. Can anybody advise me if I can apply for the Work permit if even I am left with one day of active status i.e. Can I apply for the work permit on 30th Oct 2021? or is there a condition that your study permit needs to stay valid till I acquire a work permit? Can anybody help here, please?

Reactions: parisi

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi All,

I have finally restored my status as a student and my new study permit is valid till 31st Oct 2021(till the expiry of my CAQ). I am left with just one course which I have requested my college to examine me and give away the completion certificate for my studies at the earliest. Now the question is that I just have 12 days and my status again may be lost in case I don't reapply for either PGWP or study permit. Can anybody advise me if I can apply for the Work permit if even I am left with one day of active status i.e. Can I apply for the work permit on 30th Oct 2021? or is there a condition that your study permit needs to stay valid till I acquire a work permit? Can anybody help here, please?
Yes you can apply for PGWP even on the last day provided you meet eligibility requirement....

Reactions: Johnsnow 007