+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension and restoration of status

MD1123

May 4, 2024
Hi everyone,
I'm a BSc engineering student at a major university in Canada. I just finished my final semester and got my completion letter a few days ago. My study permit had expired on April 29th. I applied for a 3-month extension so I can wait to get my grades, attend my convocation and then apply for PGWP. I applied for the restoration in March 15th. However just few days ago I realised that I accidently applied on the IRCC portal instead of the correct secure Gckey account because of this l lost implied status. I spoke with an IRCC call center agent and also with my universities advisor and they suggested I make an application for study permit extension + restoration of status in the Gckey account.

I did this, submitted the restoration fee, and provided an explanation letter showing my mistake. I also gave them a job offer that I got from a large electronics company and explained that I wanted to start working there and gain work experience ( its an engineering job and directly in line with what I studied).

So I now have two application (Gckey and IRCC portal). The status on the IRCC portal application now shows "Eligibility requirements needs review"....so I guess they didn't outright cancel my application and hopefully did read my explanation letter (I submitted explanation letter and job offer via webform to the portal application too)

So my question: Is there anything else I can do? I've been in contact with my local MP about this aswell but they can't do much

I'm worried they will just take forever to give me this extension or simply refuse it and ask me to apply for PGWP but since I don't have a valid study permit anymore I won't be able to work if I apply for a PGWP (I will need to wait until my PGWP gets approved....no guarantee they won't refuse that)........worst case I lose my job offers and can't work for 1 year or so while they process everything