+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit expires the same month as the end month for course

sadia jalil

Star Member
May 5, 2013
I have got my visa valid till april 2015..this is the same month for the end of my masters course...I am worried when I would have to apply for post graduate work permit? can anyone guide me what to do with it plz?

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hi there,

I've been through this situation so let me give you some information. First, double check that your passport is not getting expired closed to that period which is April 2015. Now my recommendation is that you should send a request to the International Office for the issuance of "Letter of Attendance - PGWP" and apply for the PGWP as soon as you receive your unofficial results. Now when you will apply for PGWP through CIC, submit all the documents showing your unofficial results. You can take PDF prints of your online record and combine them into one file. Also provide a "Letter of Explanation" letting them know of your situation.

Now International Office will take about 10-15 days to process your request for the graduation letter. Meanwhile, you will get a notification from CIC asking you to submit the graduation letter from your institute after about 10-12 days. You will have that letter by then and you can complete the application. If it goes as per the plan, you will receive your PGWP within 25 days from the date you posted your application with CIC originally.

Mine was received on the 20th day. But make sure you provide every information to CIC clearly. Also follow-up with the international office so that your request is processed on urgent basis.

Good luck!

sadia jalil

Star Member
May 5, 2013
Thanks Umair for your kind suggestions....I still want to bother you a little more....I want to know if I can apply for PGWP before the final semester exam?...are there any chances of rejection of PGWP also?how to avoid chances of rejection?would I have to send application along my unofficial result to cic...online or in paper?what documents did you submitted?till yet I haven't met anyone with similar situation....whats bridgr work permit?is it of any importance here?kindly reply in detail and Thanks again:)

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hi there,

Let me try to answer your questions below:

- As the name of Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) suggests, it can only be applied after the completion of your studies - after you've given proof that you will be graduating.

- If you will apply before your final result, CIC will definitely reject your application. As you failed to provide any kind of proof to say otherwise.

- To avoid rejection, like I mentioned in the previous comment, you have to provide everything that you will help CIC understanding your position.

- Take a PDF print or screen shot of your unofficial result and your "Academic Requirements" page that shows how many credits you have completed.

- Everything is online. Go to think link for more information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

- Bridge Work Permit doesn't apply to your situation. It is to extend a work permit in order to switch between employers. More info:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/extend-stay.asp

Hope that helps.

Regards,

sadia jalil

Star Member
May 5, 2013
umairq00 said:
Hi there,

Let me try to answer your questions below:

- As the name of Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) suggests, it can only be applied after the completion of your studies - after you've given proof that you will be graduating.

- If you will apply before your final result, CIC will definitely reject your application. As you failed to provide any kind of proof to say otherwise.

- To avoid rejection, like I mentioned in the previous comment, you have to provide everything that you will help CIC understanding your position.

- Take a PDF print or screen shot of your unofficial result and your "Academic Requirements" page that shows how many credits you have completed.

- Everything is online. Go to think link for more information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

- Bridge Work Permit doesn't apply to your situation. It is to extend a work permit in order to switch between employers. More info:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/extend-stay.asp

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Umair...thanks for detail reply:)...you know what I tried...I talked to visa officer at airport right after landing regarding expiry of visa the same month of ending my course and requested to extend it atleast a month more...and he added 3 more months there...so no worries..it sorted out alhamdolillah...

AABH

Sep 8, 2013
sadia jalil said:
Umair...thanks for detail reply:)...you know what I tried...I talked to visa officer at airport right after landing regarding expiry of visa the same month of ending my course and requested to extend it atleast a month more...and he added 3 more months there...so no worries..it sorted out alhamdolillah...
So the vise-officer extend your stay permit, what about visa stamp in your passport is till same (valid till april 2015) ??

now you have a study permit (valid till april 2015 + 3 months) and visa stamp just valid till aprill 2015 , Is this right ?? ::)

Sweetalker

Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, Canada.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Ontario.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2014
Doc's Request.
PER: 20th August 2014
IELTS Request
8.0 Overall (7.5 Minimum)
File Transfer...
15-09-2014
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2015
LANDED..........
10-04-2015
umairq00 said:
Hi there,

I've been through this situation so let me give you some information. First, double check that your passport is not getting expired closed to that period which is April 2015. Now my recommendation is that you should send a request to the International Office for the issuance of "Letter of Attendance - PGWP" and apply for the PGWP as soon as you receive your unofficial results. Now when you will apply for PGWP through CIC, submit all the documents showing your unofficial results. You can take PDF prints of your online record and combine them into one file. Also provide a "Letter of Explanation" letting them know of your situation.

Now International Office will take about 10-15 days to process your request for the graduation letter. Meanwhile, you will get a notification from CIC asking you to submit the graduation letter from your institute after about 10-12 days. You will have that letter by then and you can complete the application. If it goes as per the plan, you will receive your PGWP within 25 days from the date you posted your application with CIC originally.

Mine was received on the 20th day. But make sure you provide every information to CIC clearly. Also follow-up with the international office so that your request is processed on urgent basis.

Good luck!
Very well xplained brother..
Thanks..

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Thank you very much Sweetalker! Appreciate that. Might as well give me a "Plus Rating". Just kidding! It's not about the ratings - it's about helping people as per your experiences and the mistakes you made in the past. :)

As for the question posted above, I think there's a slight confusion. Make it clear that the stamp on the passport is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which is valid and good for about 6 months. The study permit on the other hand is issued when a student lands on the Canadian airport. Study permit is valid for the length of the program that student is taking.

Regards,

Sweetalker

Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, Canada.
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Ontario.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2014
Doc's Request.
PER: 20th August 2014
IELTS Request
8.0 Overall (7.5 Minimum)
File Transfer...
15-09-2014
Med's Request
06-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2015
LANDED..........
10-04-2015
There u go broo.. :)

AABH

Sep 8, 2013
umairq00 said:
Thank you very much Sweetalker! Appreciate that. Might as well give me a "Plus Rating". Just kidding! It's not about the ratings - it's about helping people as per your experiences and the mistakes you made in the past. :)

As for the question posted above, I think there's a slight confusion. Make it clear that the stamp on the passport is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which is valid and good for about 6 months. The study permit on the other hand is issued when a student lands on the Canadian airport. Study permit is valid for the length of the program that student is taking.

Regards,
The visa stamp on my passport is valid till 30/12/2015 (Multiple re-entry)
The LOI is also valid till 30/12/2015

So they'll issue a study permit valid till 30/12/2015, right ??

I just want to know if sadia jalil extend her study permit at POE more than in her LOI ??

sadia jalil

Star Member
May 5, 2013
sorry for late reply, yes my study permit length got extended at POE, I talked to one of officer there, telling them situation and he extended 5 months further,now my prog is at end.