+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit denied - need help

JBen

Feb 15, 2020
My brother got his permit denied from inside of Canada because according to CIC he should have applied from outside of Canada. However, we provided proof in the application that he needed to complete a course in person in order to get admitted into the program.

Now he is going to apply from outside of Canada to meet their requirements. However, is needs to do it from the US.
Long story short, he was told that he needed to cross the border back into Canada to renew his visitor status and when coming back the officers returned him to the United States.

has anyone experienced this? He can stay in the US for up to 3 months because he has an European passport . We are planning to apply to the LA office. Anyone with experience on this? Is it harder to get approved once you have been denied ?
Anyone experience sending their documents to LA office while being a visitor to the US

thank you !
Jen

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot answer specifically but one of the reasons for refusals often posted on here is ties to home country which is generally why people are encouraged to apply from their home country not from somewhere where they have no status beyond visitor. IRCC need to be convinced someone is planning to leave once they have completed their course.

Why was he refused entry into Canada ? Did he depart voluntarily, that is did he voluntarily withdraw application to enter ? For the study permit rejection what were the actual reasons quoted apart from where applied from ?

JBen

Feb 15, 2020
That’s the only reason. That he needs to apply outside of Canada.

Problem will be to truly proof that he will go back to Spain when he is done. I don’t want to buy him a return flight without knowing dates. Also, he had to quit his job in Spain in order to come to Canada, I can’t really prove they will hire him again. Anything that could help prove it? He obviously wants to go back because this program is to better his education and give him a better salary when he goes back to Spain. But how to prove this?

I also heard that it would be hard for him to now apply from Spain now that he has been gone for so long and again they may see it as not having ties to his residence.

really upsetting because we submitted all the proof and even went to the extent of including letters explaining why he was applying from within Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Problem will be to truly proof that he will go back to Spain when he is done. I don’t want to buy him a return flight without knowing dates. Also, he had to quit his job in Spain in order to come to Canada, I can’t really prove they will hire him again. Anything that could help prove it? He obviously wants to go back because this program is to better his education and give him a better salary when he goes back to Spain. But how to prove this?

I also heard that it would be hard for him to now apply from Spain now that he has been gone for so long and again they may see it as not having ties to his residence.

really upsetting because we submitted all the proof and even went to the extent of including letters explaining why he was applying from within Canada.
He would have been best off to apply from Spain while he was still working there.

He can apply from the US but probably lower chances of approval given he's only there temporarily and given he can't demonstrate strong ties to Spain.

IMO it would be best if he returned to Spain and applied from there. When he applies, make sure he declares the first study permit refusal and also the refusal to enter Canada.

JBen

Feb 15, 2020
He would have been best off to apply from Spain while he was still working there.

He can apply from the US but probably lower chances of approval given he's only there temporarily and given he can't demonstrate strong ties to Spain.

IMO it would be best if he returned to Spain and applied from there. When he applies, make sure he declares the first study permit refusal and also the refusal to enter Canada.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, he could have applied from Spain but he needed to first complete the pre-requisite to be admitted and he thought it would be better to just apply while he was in Canada.

He is attaching both the refusal of the study permit and refusal to enter Canada in a letter of explanation to the office in Los Angeles. We will try it and if not, he will go back to Spain.

JBen

Feb 15, 2020
Cannot answer specifically but one of the reasons for refusals often posted on here is ties to home country which is generally why people are encouraged to apply from their home country not from somewhere where they have no status beyond visitor. IRCC need to be convinced someone is planning to leave once they have completed their course.

Why was he refused entry into Canada ? Did he depart voluntarily, that is did he voluntarily withdraw application to enter ? For the study permit rejection what were the actual reasons quoted apart from where applied from ?