+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Denied - Family Ties

Erbil

Feb 2, 2022
Thank for the message. Actually I am trying to get a Diploma in Business Accounting. I need EAP because I only have a high-school certificate. This is a new branch for the Ministry so there is limited approaches of how Accounting can be learned. I need to learn Business Accounting in English for a new English Branch for the Ministry. Other organizations are only Kurdish or Arabic.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank for the message. Actually I am trying to get a Diploma in Business Accounting. I need EAP because I only have a high-school certificate. This is a new branch for the Ministry so there is limited approaches of how Accounting can be learned. I need to learn Business Accounting in English for a new English Branch for the Ministry. Other organizations are only Kurdish or Arabic.
As stated, order GCMS and see reasons for refusal. Then reapply if you can address VO concerns. Your biggest issue is having a PR brother and coming from a country that has a high rate of asylum applications.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Still doesn’t make sense why a Kurdish ministry requires employees to take an accounting diploma in English all the way in Canada.. The accounting calculations will be the same as they were in any other language. Think GCMS notes will highlight the various concerns already brought up in these posts.

Mame Akibu

Apr 19, 2021
Hello Erbil,

Sorry to her that your application was refused,
I will be very much interested in knowing what the VO stated on the GCMS notes. Did you get it or not yet?

I can share my experience,

My under age (16 years old) cousin applied for a study permit recently and his application was refused. I am a permanent resident of Canada who went through the asylum process. i was his IRCC custodian , i also was covering half of his tuition and his expenses and the rest half was to be covered by his uncle. (i have a very stable income here 100K annually, we paid the tuition etc) and did everything possible, but they refused his application because of

- Personal assets and financial status
- family ties in Canada and your country of residence

we have ordered GCMS and waiting to get it. we are working to re apply. we organized more evidences to show that he has all the funds available. we wrote down an explanation that my presence here with a very stable income is gonna help him financially and academically so that he will be a genuine student.

BUT I wondered if my presence would have affected him because i was refugee claimant my self. i guess in theory yes, but theonly way to find that out is by reading the GCMS notes.

The crazy thing is i know at least 2 -3 people who are currently approved for a study permit while their siblings are here in Canada on protected person status. this was what motivated me to be his sponsor/custodian. I am waiting the GCMS notes , but i think it is very much dependent on the visa officer.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Erbil,

I will be very much interested in knowing what the VO stated on the GCMS notes. Did you get it or not yet?

My under age (16 years old) cousin applied for a study permit recently and his application was refused. I am a permanent resident of Canada who went through the asylum process. i was his IRCC custodian , i also was covering half of his tuition and his expenses and the rest half was to be covered by his uncle. (i have a very stable income here 100K annually, we paid the tuition etc) and did everything possible, but they refused his application because of

we have ordered GCMS and waiting to get it. we are working to re apply. we organized more evidences to show that he has all the funds available. we wrote down an explanation that my presence here with a very stable income is gonna help him financially and academically so that he will be a genuine student.

BUT I wondered if my presence would have affected him because i was refugee claimant my self. i guess in theory yes, but theonly way to find that out is by reading the GCMS notes.

The crazy thing is i know at least 2 -3 people who are currently approved for a study permit while their siblings are here in Canada on protected person status. this was what motivated me to be his sponsor/custodian. I am waiting the GCMS notes , but i think it is very much dependent on the visa officer.
If your cousin reapplies then the reasons for refusal will need to be addressed. There is no sponsorship, and you are the guardian.

- Personal assets: Your cousin and his family need to show the funds. You are not considered immediate or extended family so officers want to see funds from his family. Having siblings approved is not comparable to a cousin.
- Residence: Does he live in his country of residence with his family? If so he needs to show ties to his country and a reason to return after his studies.

Mame Akibu

Apr 19, 2021
If your cousin reapplies then the reasons for refusal will need to be addressed. There is no sponsorship, and you are the guardian.

- Personal assets: Your cousin and his family need to show the funds. You are not considered immediate or extended family so officers want to see funds from his family. Having siblings approved is not comparable to a cousin.
- Residence: Does he live in his country of residence with his family? If so he needs to show ties to his country and a reason to return after his studies.
he lives in his country of residence with his parents (we have included some property possession paper from his parents for re application). but his is being sponsored by his Uncle and ME. we both are to share his tuition and expenses.

we have prepared very well to address the financial concern. Still waiting the GCMS report before re applying, just to be on the safe side

That is what i figured, Cousin is not an immediate family

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Erbil,

It there an opportunity for his parents to fund his studies? Having non-immediate family members show the funds and fund the studies reduces the chances of approval. It would be ideal if his parents could be the sponsors in the next application.

Are you the only extended family member in Canada or are there others here? The fact you claimed refugee status could have impacted his application but there may also be other factors like the number of extended family members currently living in Canada and also your cousin's current country of residency and his status there.

You are doing the right thing by ordering GCMS notes and waiting for those to arrive before reapplying.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
he lives in his country of residence with his parents (we have included some property possession paper from his parents for re application). but his is being sponsored by his Uncle and ME. we both are to share his tuition and expenses.

we have prepared very well to address the financial concern. Still waiting the GCMS report before re applying, just to be on the safe side

That is what i figured, Cousin is not an immediate family
His family must show the majority of the funds for his studies. There is no such things as sponsorship. Having non-immediate and non-extended family members show that his studies can’t be funded by his immediate family and lessens his chances for approval.

Is this for post secondary or high school since he is a minor? Is he living with you to study? Did you show the funds in your bank account. Your income is not liquid funds.

Mame Akibu

Apr 19, 2021
It there an opportunity for his parents to fund his studies? Having non-immediate family members show the funds and fund the studies reduces the chances of approval. It would be ideal if his parents could be the sponsors in the next application.

Are you the only extended family member in Canada or are there others here? The fact you claimed refugee status could have impacted his application but there may also be other factors like the number of extended family members currently living in Canada and also your cousin's current country of residency and his status there.

You are doing the right thing by ordering GCMS notes and waiting for those to arrive before reapplying.
I know, It would have been great his if parents funded his education, but they don't have the level of income required to fund their child's education abroad. That is why we are stepping up to fund his education. I believed the fact that he is under age and going to high school would make it less complicated. I am the only one in Canada who is somehow related to him.

I know every case is individual but there are cases i know which are approved despite funded by Uncles, aunts etc..
But i will be curious to find out what is written on the GCMS. that will give us more insight

Reactions: scylla

Mame Akibu

Apr 19, 2021
His family must show the majority of the funds for his studies. There is no such things as sponsorship. Having non-immediate and non-extended family members show that his studies can’t be funded by his immediate family and lessens his chances for approval.

Is this for post secondary or high school since he is a minor? Is he living with you to study? Did you show the funds in your bank account. Your income is not liquid funds.
I understand, but ,his parents don't have the level of income required to fund their child's education abroad.
What i mean by sponsorship is - Me and his uncle from his country of residence are covering the cost of tuition and expenses

he is going to high school and he will be living with me. i showed my bank statement and employment letter, and annual income.
probably the fund from the other half (his uncle) was not enough, so we have prepared more strong financial evidences which was not previously submitted.

i made a bank draft payable to the student which he can deposit to his own account upon arrival (because of his country of residence, he needs a study permit before opening an account) and we paid the semester fee. Hoping it would be helpful.

But still i preferred to wait for the GCMS before re applying. they say it would take 30 days to get it but i do not know if that takes more

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know, It would have been great his if parents funded his education, but they don't have the level of income required to fund their child's education abroad. That is why we are stepping up to fund his education. I believed the fact that he is under age and going to high school would make it less complicated. I am the only one in Canada who is somehow related to him.

I know every case is individual but there are cases i know which are approved despite funded by Uncles, aunts etc..
But i will be curious to find out what is written on the GCMS. that will give us more insight
You're right. Some applications are certainly approved with extended family sponsors. But more difficult and we definitely see a higher rate of refusals here in these situations (i.e. vs. parents being the sponsors).

IMO it's actually easier to make a case for studying here at the post-secondary level. It can make less sense to IRCC for someone to spend so much money on a high school education rather than saving these funds for post-secondary studies. But by all means try.

Let us know what the GCMS notes say once you get them and good luck.

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand, but ,his parents don't have the level of income required to fund their child's education abroad.
What i mean by sponsorship is - Me and his uncle from his country of residence are covering the cost of tuition and expenses

he is going to high school and he will be living with me. i showed my bank statement and employment letter, and annual income.
probably the fund from the other half (his uncle) was not enough, so we have prepared more strong financial evidences which was not previously submitted.

i made a bank draft payable to the student which he can deposit to his own account upon arrival (because of his country of residence, he needs a study permit before opening an account) and we paid the semester fee. Hoping it would be helpful.

But still i preferred to wait for the GCMS before re applying. they say it would take 30 days to get it but i do not know if that takes more
FYI - in many cases GCMS notes are taking closer to 90 days right now.

Mame Akibu

Apr 19, 2021
You're right. Some applications are certainly approved with extended family sponsors. But more difficult and we definitely see a higher rate of refusals here in these situations (i.e. vs. parents being the sponsors).

IMO it's actually easier to make a case for studying here at the post-secondary level. It can make less sense to IRCC for someone to spend so much money on a high school education rather than saving these funds for post-secondary studies. But by all means try.

Let us know what the GCMS notes say once you get them and good luck.
that is a very good point,

But you know what i find interesting, a lots of high school cases being approved, i personally know 6 cases within the last few month's from the same country of residence and 4 of them were approved.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
that is a very good point,

But you know what i find interesting, a lots of high school cases being approved, i personally know 6 cases within the last few month's from the same country of residence and 4 of them were approved.
But are the cases approved those who are not immediate and extended family members, and family shows little to no funds? You are cousin’s so not considered either.