+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Convention refugee

danjay

Jul 30, 2017
I was once in ur shoes. I never applied for a study permit. I just applied for university. There are special provisions in place for protected persons. This was back in 2017 though. Not sure if they have made changes.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
You do not need a study permit if you are a convention refugee aka protected person
Protected persons who do not have PR status have always needed a permission from IRCC to study or work in Canada (even in 2017), unless it was a language course I believe. Some universities treat non-PR protected persons as PR and as a result don't ask to see a study permit, therefore the burden is on the protected person to ensure that they have the right documents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/refugees-protected-persons.html
Whether you apply for a study permit or not is totally up to you, but you reap what you sow.

danjay

Jul 30, 2017
All documentation that was need to inform IRCC that I was in school was sent by the school. Immigration was totally aware that I was in school. No study permit was needed for me. Entering my 3rd year September

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Are you a PR?
I would advise you to stop trying to game the system. Not many people get Domestic tuition if they are not Canadians. Stop trying to look for holes and angles; just get a study permit the right way. After all I am paying for you via my taxes while you try to scam the system. I think you should maybe go to Germany where University is free.

Look at this: https://europe.graduateshotline.com/free-education.html

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
I would advise you to stop trying to game the system. Not many people get Domestic tuition if they are not Canadians. Stop trying to look for holes and angles; just get a study permit the right way. After all I am paying for you via my taxes while you try to scam the system. I think you should maybe go to Germany where University is free.

Look at this: https://europe.graduateshotline.com/free-education.html
Not getting a study permit was never an option. I have already applied and now waiting for it. I do not understand how asking a question related to study permit automatically means that you are trying to scam the system? Domestic fees or not, does not matter. Education is equally important for refugees as for Canadian citizens. Please keep that in mind.

Hi123fmfncjr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2019
Goodluck to you, my study permit is being processed now aswell and i'll be paying international fees this coming fall!

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Not getting a study permit was never an option. I have already applied and now waiting for it. I do not understand how asking a question related to study permit automatically means that you are trying to scam the system? Domestic fees or not, does not matter. Education is equally important for refugees as for Canadian citizens. Please keep that in mind.
I am concluding that you may be scamming the system becuase of your approach of combining education and refugee status. This happens; but is rarely planned for. It is, I think it is downright bizarre. So consequently, you know the old saying, "where there is smoke there is fire"? Your approach is pretty smokey thats why I am on the the guard for fire. I'm not saying you ARE scamming the system BUT.....? Only you know. Just be advised you will attract attention from people like the CBSA with such, "goings on". I guess I just think like a cop. As far as education being equally important; I agree. Just lets remember who is paying the bills. Again up comes the smoke. You feel entitled to come here. You are not entitled. I am Canadian; you are not, as simple as that. See if you can wrap this around your head. Guests are welcome and may even become Canadians. Someone working the angles, Canadians; just don't like them. Remember, your audience here is not only like minded countrymen but the people you will have to deal with. Even worse than that you are taking their money. (big tech labs are expensive). They are generous, almost to a fault, but do not go to the edge of insulting them. Think of yourself sure; but give a bit of thought to the recipient of your message too. A word to the wise and a possible future Canadian! Just do it by the book.

Last edited:

danjay

Jul 30, 2017
If IRCC is aware of what your doing how is that not doing it by the book???? No one's scamming the system or doing anything illegal. As soon as I became i protected person I applied for a work permit i started working and paying taxes. We all share in paying taxes, we all pay the bill, not just Canadians but individuals who strive everyday to become Canadians by doing the right thing. Protected Persons do pay taxes (I thought being a Canadian you would know that). We've been through so much just to get here so do not belittle us by thinking we are here just to take, we have given so much and continue to give to Canada

Reactions: squreshi04

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
I am concluding that you may be scamming the system becuase of your approach of combining education and refugee status. This happens; but is rarely planned for. It is, I think it is downright bizarre. So consequently, you know the old saying, "where there is smoke there is fire"? Your approach is pretty smokey thats why I am on the the guard for fire. I'm not saying you ARE scamming the system BUT.....? Only you know. Just be advised you will attract attention from people like the CBSA with such, "goings on". I guess I just think like a cop. As far as education being equally important; I agree. Just lets remember who is paying the bills. Again up comes the smoke. You feel entitled to come here. You are not entitled. I am Canadian; you are not, as simple as that. See if you can wrap this around your head. Guests are welcome and may even become Canadians. Someone working the angles, Canadians; just don't like them. Remember, your audience here is not only like minded countrymen but the people you will have to deal with. Even worse than that you are taking their money. (big tech labs are expensive). They are generous, almost to a fault, but do not go to the edge of insulting them. Think of yourself sure; but give a bit of thought to the recipient of your message too. A word to the wise and a possible future Canadian! Just do it by the book.
Sir, just because someone flee from their country due to unforseen circumstances, does not mean that they are not entitled to education anymore. They do no have to spend the rest of their lives in refugee concentration camps and ultimately, dying there. How will CBSA start doubting me because of the fact that i am getting out there, against the odds, and trying to get myself a better education, so that YOUR country can prosper. People like you kill other peoples dreams with their negativity and hatred. A cop, can never think the way you're thinking. There's a reason why you're not one of them. :) I will be taking OSAP in form of loan. Will I be keeping all the money you canadian worked so hard for and wasting it? Do I not know what the source of this money is? Am I not grateful for the Canadian government for protecting me and my family, and also giving a bright future? I guess you wouldn't know since you are sitting behind a mobile screen judging people because of a question they asked. Is this what is called being a canadian? The major percentage of Canadians are welcoming, loving, supportive and motivating. But you on the other hand, are spreading such darkness. If I was trying to "scam" the system, why did the Canadian government accepted ny refugee case? Are you calling your own government incompetent?
Overall, I kind of understand where you're coming from. But rememeber, one day i will be in your shoes too. I will be paying the same taxes you do, but the only difference would be that I would not be bullying unknown people behind the screens like this. Have a nice day

Reactions: sss12345 and danjay

danjay

Jul 30, 2017
Well said squreshi04. Just remember also that convention refugee/protected persons are considered domestic students so you dont have to pay international fees. Make sure to talk to the admissions office at the university your applying to.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Well said squreshi04. Just remember also that convention refugee/protected persons are considered domestic students so you dont have to pay international fees. Make sure to talk to the admissions office at the university your applying to.
Yeah sure thing! I think they're already considering me a domestic student as it shows on my account inquiry on the student account. Should I still talk to them?