+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Convention refugee

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.

CadJohn

Star Member
May 21, 2019
"Proof of funds" - sounds like you probably need to show income that you are receiving. Or maybe, a cash bank account or other assets of value. You should ask the office where you got the application, (if someone's passport is expired what they would do).

Interesting refugee news here:
http://igorbnews.com/refugees.html

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
"Proof of funds" - sounds like you probably need to show income that you are receiving. Or maybe, a cash bank account or other assets of value. You should ask the office where you got the application, (if someone's passport is expired what they would do).

Interesting refugee news here:
http://igorbnews.com/refugees.html
But the money I will be recieving is from OSAP, so I was thinking how can I prove that since the OSAP will start releasing the funds in September and you have to apply for the study permit before that. Also, i was thinking if I could just increase a year on the expiry date of the passport so I could apply online, and then attach an explanation letter with it letting them know of the issue that I faced. If you have any more information, please let me know.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
You would probably have to apply on paper. You should not just enter a random expiration date for your passport to enable online submission neither should you renew your passport. In fact, paper application is best for you given your situation. You can attach an explanation for source of funds this way separately to your application. Good luck!
Thanks alot on your input! Do you have any idea how long will it take on paper application? My study session starts in roughly two months! Will I be able to make it with a paper application? Let me know if you know more about the process! Once again, thankyou.

Ahmad Motayed

Aug 14, 2013
Hi there,

I am a convention refugee who has to apply for a study permit as I'll be going to a university is fall 2019. My passport has already expired, so what should i write on the "expiry date" place on the application as the expired dates can not be accepted.
Also, to apply for a study permit, I have to show proof of funds. The only method of paying I have for university is OSAP. What should I be attaching exactly? I haven't recieved any osap confirmation letter whatsoever. Please let me know ASAP.
Hello,
Would you mind to send the study permit application link please, was checking online but couldn't find the link to start, for kind information am also convention refugee.

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html
Click on "how to apply" and you'll either need a Sign in partner (bank account) to sign in or else you will have to make GCkey
I believe applying online shouldn't be an issue. I've heard of people putting the day they submit the application or the day after as the day of their passport's expiry (with uploading a letter of explanation that their passport have expired). Proof of funds shouldn't be an issue either, just upload your bank statement (does not matter what your balance is) and mention in the letter of explanation that you will be applying for student aid since you're eligible as a protected person. Good luck!

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
I believe applying online shouldn't be an issue. I've heard of people putting the day they submit the application or the day after as the day of their passport's expiry (with uploading a letter of explanation that their passport have expired). Proof of funds shouldn't be an issue either, just upload your bank statement (does not matter what your balance is) and mention in the letter of explanation that you will be applying for student aid since you're eligible as a protected person. Good luck!
Thankyou! I've already applied for a study permit and just waiting to hear from the cic! Please pray for me. Thankyou. Xx

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
Hey! Its been 14 days since I applied for my study permit online. On the cic website it says "Submitted" and not "in progress". Should I be worried? I read it on their official processing times website that it taken a month for them to approve or decline your study permit. Should I call them? I am really anxious. Let me know if you know more information a

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hey! Its been 14 days since I applied for my study permit online. On the cic website it says "Submitted" and not "in progress". Should I be worried? I read it on their official processing times website that it taken a month for them to approve or decline your study permit. Should I call them? I am really anxious. Let me know if you know more information a
There's nothing to worry and be anxious about. Don't worry! Since it says on IRCC's website that the processing time is one month and you've only waited for 14 days so far, there is no reason to be anxious. They usually tend to finalize applications on the one month mark exactly or a few days before. If your application happen to exceed the one month mark, you can call them and inquire. Otherwise if you call now they'll probably ask you to wait since it's within the usual processing time.
Good luck!

squreshi04

Jun 14, 2019
There's nothing to worry and be anxious about. Don't worry! Since it says on IRCC's website that the processing time is one month and you've only waited for 14 days so far, there is no reason to be anxious. They usually tend to finalize applications on the one month mark exactly or a few days before. If your application happen to exceed the one month mark, you can call them and inquire. Otherwise if you call now they'll probably ask you to wait since it's within the usual processing time.
Good luck!
Thanks! I already feel better.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It can easily take longer than a month. A month is just an estimate and you have applied in very busy time. You have done all you can. now all you can do is wait like all the other students. This would be a good time to go out and work since OSAP loans only cover so much.