+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Lily222

Oct 25, 2021
Hello everyone, am kinda confused about the pof, please anyone with clear details can help me out.
Does it have to be in the account not touched for 4 to 6 months? Or money can be going in and out as long as the required amount is there at the time of printing out statement?

Reactions: Tmflag

FavourBibi

Sep 17, 2021
Good day all, pls considering my low CRS score of 420, i want to opt for study in Canada Masters degree but my CGPA Is less than 3. Which is second class lower division. Pls what should I do since almost all Canadian schools require A CGPA of 3 above to be admitted for Masters. Nerasha Pather pls you candid advise is needed. Or does anyone know schools that accept second class lover division?

Also is it possible for me, my spouse and son (2years old) to go together then I ll be the one schooling while is dependent? Can we get such visa? Or is it after schools that I can invite them?

Reactions: Ĺexykayb

Ade60

Oct 28, 2021
Good day everyone,

Hope we are doing well.
I applied for my permit on the 6th of August, as at Tuesday, my eligibility review changed from “in progress” to “reviewing your eligibility”. With this, my request for medical exam has not been updated. Whereas, my brother who applied on the 8th of August, got his eligibility under review and request for medicals as at last week Thursday.
Should I go ahead with carrying out my medicals also? Or I should be patient till I am requested to do so.
Thank you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone, am kinda confused about the pof, please anyone with clear details can help me out.
Does it have to be in the account not touched for 4 to 6 months? Or money can be going in and out as long as the required amount is there at the time of printing out statement?
Best practise is 3 months operating period, provided closing balance meet Pof requirement. In some regions, they may require 6 months.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Good day all, pls considering my low CRS score of 420, i want to opt for study in Canada Masters degree but my CGPA Is less than 3. Which is second class lower division. Pls what should I do since almost all Canadian schools require A CGPA of 3 above to be admitted for Masters. Nerasha Pather pls you candid advise is needed. Or does anyone know schools that accept second class lover division?

Also is it possible for me, my spouse and son (2years old) to go together then I ll be the one schooling while is dependent? Can we get such visa? Or is it after schools that I can invite them?
Its hard to tell but yes with second class lower, your chances are slim. There are some private Uni that may admit you but you need to convince visa officer to approve your application. Getting LOA doesnt take away ability of VO to do academic ability test. Your second question, yes you can apply both as a family or they can join you letter. Will they get visa? depends on how strong your profile is.

Reactions: Johnsnow 007

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Good day everyone,

Hope we are doing well.
I applied for my permit on the 6th of August, as at Tuesday, my eligibility review changed from “in progress” to “reviewing your eligibility”. With this, my request for medical exam has not been updated. Whereas, my brother who applied on the 8th of August, got his eligibility under review and request for medicals as at last week Thursday.
Should I go ahead with carrying out my medicals also? Or I should be patient till I am requested to do so.
Thank you.
if you do upfront medical test, all you need to do is upload results. I would do upfront test and upload results

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its hard to tell but yes with second class lower, your chances are slim. There are some private Uni that may admit you but you need to convince visa officer to approve your application. Getting LOA doesnt take away ability of VO to do academic ability test. Your second question, yes you can apply both as a family or they can join you letter. Will they get visa? depends on how strong your profile is.
Hello @Simba112,

Thanks for your input as usual, however, @FavourBibi does not have to prove any academic test to the VO. It is not required. This is a mistake people make. You do not need to share or discuss your academic profile with the VO once you already have admission from a DLI. What the VO needs to see is the standardized LOA, and the applicant's clear description of how relevant the intended program of choice is to their future career, ability to fund the program and intention to return to their home country upon completion of the program. No need to submit academic credentials for any study permit application.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: Obinnakaka

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello @Simba112,

Thanks for your input as usual, however, @FavourBibi does not have to prove any academic test to the VO. It is not required. This is a mistake people make. You do not need to share or discuss your academic profile with the VO once you already have admission from a DLI. What the VO needs to see is the standardized LOA, and the applicant's clear description of how relevant the intended program of choice is to their future career, ability to fund the program and intention to return to their home country upon completion of the program. No need to submit academic credentials for any study permit application.

All the best.

Omofar
Hi Omofar. I value your contribution but i would like to be more precise from my experience. Missing Marksheet or previous academic records is one of the common refusal reason as per the IRPA 219. Proposed Detailed Plan, simply Study Plan will detailed your previous academic and future prospect. Yes, it may seem not required from the checklist, but it is required as per the guidelines. I fail to understand when you say you only need standardized LOA, and then you say "applicant clear description of how relevant the intended program of choice is to their future career", I want to believe that statement means Study plan though it lacks previous background aspect.

We both know there are decisions based on previous academic background or work experience. and we both know VO have wide descreation to ask any documents apart from the basic one. My point is, if you have transcript but you chose not to submit because as you said you dont need to submit academic credentials for SP application, that can be misleading. Plus we are not here to give hopes or wrong advice. Another example, what does proof of traveling history has to do with SP? but again it is required to submit.. one member in this same group was refused SP because she was asked to provide IELTS results but she chose not to, and opt for general route. once you have refusal, it takes efforts to overcome another refusal..

Familiarize with below reason, and if you have time, Judicial Review Determination and members posted on this forum. You dont just need LOA, you need to include your previous academic records. There are basic requirements, and guidelines. From personal experience, in 2016 i submitted my application with LOA but I did not attach previous academic transcripts, and i was given 14days to upload through link, and i did so

Refusal Based on Qualifications, Previous Studies, Missing Mark Sheets, Academic Record, Level of Establishment, Language Abilities

"Sometimes the application may miss to provide any of the mark sheets resulting in refusal because the case officer might think that you may be hiding some information which is a serious issue"

Last edited:

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Omofar. I value your contribution but i would like to be more precise from my experience. Missing Marksheet or previous academic records is one of the common refusal reason as per the IRPA 219. Proposed Detailed Plan, simply Study Plan will detailed your previous academic and future prospect. Yes, it may seem not required from the checklist, but it is required as per the guidelines. I fail to understand when you say you only need standardized LOA, and then you say "applicant clear description of how relevant the intended program of choice is to their future career", I want to believe that statement means Study plan though it lacks previous background aspect.

We both know there are decisions based on previous academic background or work experience. and we both know VO have wide descreation to ask any documents apart from the basic one. My point is, if you have transcript but you chose not to submit because as you said you dont need to submit academic credentials for SP application, that can be misleading. Plus we are not here to give hopes or wrong advice. Another example, what does proof of traveling history has to do with SP? but again it is required to submit.. one member in this same group was refused SP because she was asked to provide IELTS results but she chose not to, and opt for general route. once you have refusal, it takes efforts to overcome another refusal..

Familiarize with below reason, and if you have time, Judicial Review Determination and members posted on this forum. You dont just need LOA, you need to include your previous academic records. There are basic requirements, and guidelines. From personal experience, in 2016 i submitted my application with LOA but I did not attach previous academic transcripts, and i was given 14days to upload through link, and i did so

Refusal Based on Qualifications, Previous Studies, Missing Mark Sheets, Academic Record, Level of Establishment, Language Abilities

"Sometimes the application may miss to provide any of the mark sheets resulting in refusal because the case officer might think that you may be hiding some information which is a serious issue"
I disagree!

1. I have NEVER included an applicant's academic credentials with a SP application and I have gotten countless approvals. Academic evaluation of an applicant is done by the DLI, it's not the job description of the VO. Once a standardized LOA is in place, it is understood that the applicant has met the academic requirement for the program of interest. It has nothing to do with the VO.

2. You asked how is previous travel history related to SP application, well I will tell you. The third thing that must be demonstrated to the VO by the applicant which you missed in my last post is *intention to return to one's own country upon completion of studies*. One of the ways this can be shown is through previous travel history. If the applicant demonstrates significant travel history and obedience to rules guiding previous visas, then that is counted as a positive indicator that he/she will do the same with a Canadian visa, and as such is likely to return to his/her country upon completion of their studies.

3. Study plan, missing marksheets etc are raised as an issue once the applicant got the VO involved in the first place by submitting their academic credentials.

I still stand by my position, CV, degree certificates, etc are NOT required for SP application. The VO does not have the requisite training to evaluate an applicant's academic credentials as to ascertain if that applicant can perform well at the program or not, what does the VO know about aatrogeophysics for example, or philosophy of thought or molecular pathogenesis of rotavirus? Nothing, so how can he/she be in a position to say if an applicant qualifies for a certain program or not? That is the job of the admission team of the DLI, not the VO.

All the VO needs is the LOA, and a simple LOE to describe what program is bring pursued, why and how it is relevant to previous study or work experience or both and how useful for the applicant's future career.

That being said anyone wishing to add academic credentials to the SP application should feel free to do so, that's their own cup of tea. I am stating it here that it is not required, not necessary, its an over-kill that is usually counterproductive especially if the applicant has a not so stellar result.

Cheers.

Omofar.

Reactions: Johnsnow 007

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I disagree!

1. I have NEVER included an applicant's academic credentials with a SP application and I have gotten countless approvals. Academic evaluation of an applicant is done by the DLI, it's not the job description of the VO. Once a standardized LOA is in place, it is understood that the applicant has met the academic requirement for the program of interest. It has nothing to do with the VO.

2. You asked how is previous travel history related to SP application, well I will tell you. The third thing that must be demonstrated to the VO by the applicant which you missed in my last post is *intention to return to one's own country upon completion of studies*. One of the ways this can be shown is through previous travel history. If the applicant demonstrates significant travel history and obedience to rules guiding previous visas, then that is counted as a positive indicator that he/she will do the same with a Canadian visa, and as such is likely to return to his/her country upon completion of their studies.

3. Study plan, missing marksheets etc are raised as an issue once the applicant got the VO involved in the first place by submitting their academic credentials.

I still stand by my position, CV, degree certificates, etc are NOT required for SP application. The VO does not have the requisite training to evaluate an applicant's academic credentials as to ascertain if that applicant can perform well at the program or not, what does the VO know about aatrogeophysics for example, or philosophy of thought or molecular pathogenesis of rotavirus? Nothing, so how can he/she be in a position to say if an applicant qualifies for a certain program or not? That is the job of the admission team of the DLI, not the VO.

All the VO needs is the LOA, and a simple LOE to describe what program is bring pursued, why and how it is relevant to previous study or work experience or both and how useful for the applicant's future career.

That being said anyone wishing to add academic credentials to the SP application should feel free to do so, that's their own cup of tea. I am stating it here that it is not required, not necessary, its an over-kill that is usually counterproductive especially if the applicant has a not so stellar result.

Cheers.

Omofar.
I am totally fine with your position, and i stand by mine. Im not a consultant, but it seems like you are trained visa officer at one point when you say VO does not have the requisite training to evaluate an applicant academic credential. I like your scientific example though, lol as if all applicants academic background are so unique for trained officer to make some reference, or refer to others. IRCC have resources from diversed background. Anyway, i like how you dispute the fact right away without doing research. But i guess applicants are not dummy enough not to make their own judgement. I was graduate student before, i went through process, and i was asked my previous Msc transcript when i applied for MBA. If i had another chance to apply Study Permit ( Though i cant ) i would attach previous academic transcripts. Thank you

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am totally fine with your position, and i stand by mine. Im not a consultant, but it seems like you are trained visa officer at one point when you say VO does not have the requisite training to evaluate an applicant academic credential. I like your scientific example though, lol as if all applicants academic background are so unique for trained officer to make some reference, or refer to others. IRCC have resources from diversed background. Anyway, i like how you dispute the fact right away without doing research. But i guess applicants are not dummy enough not to make their own judgement. I was graduate student before, i went through process, and i was asked my previous Msc transcript when i applied for MBA. If i had another chance to apply Study Permit ( Though i cant ) i would attach previous academic transcripts. Thank you
Like I said, to each his own. Every case is treated on its own merits. I have applied for high school students, undergraduate students and graduate students following the simple protocol, supply only the information required and its worked well for me. Your credentials don't really matter, and I don't like to brag about mine. So living in Canada does not mean you are the know-all of the SP process. Since you did yours how many people have you done for? I do this on a routine basis bro. I don't like to open my mouth if I don't know something, but will shout to heaven and back of I am proficient in the matter. Been doing this since 2013 as a side hustle, it's not my primary work.

B.Sc Biochemistry (LASU)
M.Sc Bioscience (University of Nottingham)
Ph.D Molecular Virology (UKZN, S.A)
Scientist (Emory University)

Bro no be today abeg.

Cheers

Omofar

Tmflag

Oct 29, 2021
HI Omofar. I want to apply for masters program in Canada for 2022 session. It's a 2 years program and I would like to go with my wife and kids. How do I prove ties back home, or should I apply first then apply for them if I get visa approval. Though I think I have enough economic tie. As I will get study leave with pay from my place of work ( federal government agency) and other property's like lands and buildings to mention a few. Please enlighten me more. Thanks in anticipation.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI Omofar. I want to apply for masters program in Canada for 2022 session. It's a 2 years program and I would like to go with my wife and kids. How do I prove ties back home, or should I apply first then apply for them if I get visa approval. Though I think I have enough economic tie. As I will get study leave with pay from my place of work ( federal government agency) and other property's like lands and buildings to mention a few. Please enlighten me more. Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Tmflag,

Hope well.. Kindly refer to the page 155 of this thread. Read through and get back to me if you have other queries.

Cheers.

Omofar

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Like I said, to each his own. Every case is treated on its own merits. I have applied for high school students, undergraduate students and graduate students following the simple protocol, supply only the information required and its worked well for me. Your credentials don't really matter, and I don't like to brag about mine. So living in Canada does not mean you are the know-all of the SP process. Since you did yours how many people have you done for? I do this on a routine basis bro. I don't like to open my mouth if I don't know something, but will shout to heaven and back of I am proficient in the matter. Been doing this since 2013 as a side hustle, it's not my primary work.

B.Sc Biochemistry (LASU)
M.Sc Bioscience (University of Nottingham)
Ph.D Molecular Virology (UKZN, S.A)
Scientist (Emory University)

Bro no be today abeg.

Cheers

Omofar
Of course its a cultural thing to shout and brag. Do what you do for a living, do it right especially in public and free forums. Previous academic record is beyond “basic requirement”, it doesnt need to be a routine thing since 2013 especially from one region. I would prefer not to disclose in public forums if im doing this routinely and or whether im trained and regulated or not.
This has been determined all the way up to JR for TRV (intention), PGWP (FT-status), PR(Proof of CRS Score) and Citizenship Applications for some residence requirement. Cheers!

Last edited: