+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Holarjoseph

Sep 3, 2021
Hello everyone,

I finally received PPR & BVL this morning! So excited. When am I supposed to receive the letter of introduction? Do they send this after they’ve received your passport? I’m not too sure how that works.
Please help, thank you
Congratulations

Please did you pursue undergraduate degree and did you write IELTS?

Your response will be appreciated

Reactions: Mobobo96

Obinnakaka

Star Member
Jun 7, 2021
Ondo
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abuja
Con
Hello guys. Hello Omofar. I have over the months monitored this thread and wish to commend you and other contributors for the quality of the advice. Unfortunately, I applied to Canadian Immigration before I discovered this thread but I am not new to visa applications so it was not a problem applying for a SP for the first time in Canada. By way of background, I'm 40 years old, male, a lawyer practicing in Lagos, Nigeria. I'm married with 3 kids. My last study was in 2010 in the UK where I obtained a LLM with distinction.

Here is my timeline:

Application submission: May 12
Biometrics: (from previous application. Was issued a 4 years visit visa to expire in mid 2023)
Medical: Upfront approved June 12
Eligibility review: September 13
BVL: September 13
PPR: September 13

I observed that different opinions are expressed on the need to pay deposit or full tuition fees before applying. In my case, I didn't see the need to pay the deposit when my visa application was pending. I just did a good job of explaining why I'm applying for a second masters and how it will positively impact my new law partnership after working for many years in top law firms upon returning to Nigeria after my first LL.M in the UK. The truth is, the course is important for my career aspirations and Ottawa University will help me achieve this.

I wish everyone waiting for decision good luck and remember to do a good job of writing an exemplary Letter of Explanation when the need arise. Please note that I can only give tips and won't share my LoE.

All the best.
Congrats dear. My own review started yesterday and they requested for my medicals which I already submitted earlier via web form. I have resubmitted yesterday though. I believe God is working something out for me just like he did for you.

Obinnakaka

Star Member
Jun 7, 2021
Ondo
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abuja
Hello everyone,

I finally received PPR & BVL this morning! So excited. When am I supposed to receive the letter of introduction? Do they send this after they’ve received your passport? I’m not too sure how that works.
Please help, thank you
Congrats dear. The God that did it for you, will do it for me.

Mobobo96

Aug 16, 2021
Congratulations

Please did you pursue undergraduate degree and did you write IELTS?

Your response will be appreciated
Thank you so much!
I actually applied for a masters’ degree. I didn’t write IELTS because I studied in the US for my undergraduate degree. I got a waiver

Dr Salt

Jan 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

Please help, thank you
Congratulations!! This is great news!
Kindly share your timelines. Thank you.

Reactions: Mobobo96

Mobobo96

Aug 16, 2021
Congratulations!! This is great news!
Kindly share your timelines. Thank you.
Thank you very much!

application submitted: May 15th
Upfront medicals: May 24th
Biometrics completed: July 8th
BVL & PPR received: September 14th

My eligibility review started the same day I received BVL & PPR. Goodluck to everyone waiting!

Holarjoseph

Sep 3, 2021
Please guys help
I'm 18 years i got to know on this forum that IELTS is not mandatory for study permit in Canada since I'm from Nigeria. Now that I have done IELTS with overall band 6.5 LRWS( 7,6,5.5,6.5) and I don't want to waste my money, does uploading it reduces my chances to get study permit for undergraduate course provided that I have gotten admission without it?

Oladimeji2208

Apr 10, 2021
Hello everyone,
I urgently need advice on my situation. I applied to st. Clair college, paid the full tuition fee and i got my ppr yesterday and sent my passport today, but i just got an email now from the college that my admission has been revoked due to unavailability of seats for the winter intake and this is the second time they revoked my admission, because they deffered it from September to January.
I don't what to do now, do i request for a refund (how long might it take) and apply to other colleges for the winter intake.

Obinnakaka

Star Member
Jun 7, 2021
Ondo
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abuja
Please guys help
I'm 18 years i got to know on this forum that IELTS is not mandatory for study permit in Canada since I'm from Nigeria. Now that I have done IELTS with overall band 6.5 LRWS( 7,6,5.5,6.5) and I don't want to waste my money, does uploading it reduces my chances to get study permit for undergraduate course provided that I have gotten admission without it?
I think it would boost your chances if you are using the NSE route.

Mobobo96

Aug 16, 2021
Hello everyone,
I urgently need advice on my situation. I applied to st. Clair college, paid the full tuition fee and i got my ppr yesterday and sent my passport today, but i just got an email now from the college that my admission has been revoked due to unavailability of seats for the winter intake and this is the second time they revoked my admission, because they deffered it from September to January.
I don't what to do now, do i request for a refund (how long might it take) and apply to other colleges for the winter intake.
This is horrible! If you already paid your full tuition then they shouldn’t revoke your admission due to unavailability of seats. Usually, students lose their place in a program when they don’t pay the required deposit on time. I’d advice you to reach out to your school’s international students office or registrar’s office to make a complaint. You can also send a confirmation of your tuition payment.
I’m not too sure if schools are still accepting application for January intake but you can try. However, I think you’d have to apply for a new study permit since you’re changing schools.