+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Mar 19, 2021
After studying Computer Science as BSc would it be wise to apply for Economics as Masters program. I have 3 years working experience in a Retail company

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good afternoon Omofar and other members here.
I recall that I had requested for advice in January when I had a visa refusal. I have a degree but applied for a diploma course and got rejected. The GCMS notes state that I have a higher qualification than the diploma and that it doesn't show career progression. Now I have admission for a postgraduate certificate program, it is for one year and I had paid for the tuition deposit of CAD$2,650.
I have received the acceptance letter.
Now, I want to apply for study permit. The total school fees is about CAD$17400. Do you think paying for the first semester tuition will improve my chances? I have sufficient fund and may not need a sponsor since it is for a year.
I will appreciate your candid advice.
Hello Oyioche1,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

1. I don't have the full information about your application, so I cannot make any judgement call about your chances of success. Furthermore, regardless of how well your application is put together, no one can tell you whether it will be successful or not, you just need to try your best.

2. I disagree with @Simba112 whos says that going for a graduate diploma after a first degree does not show career progression. Career progression is a function of your current job experience or your bachelors degree or both. For example, if you have a first degree in Microbiology, but working in a Bank for the past 3-4 years, you can apply for a post graduate diploma in Business Management. The post-graduate diploma is above your first degree, and it is also related to your most recent work experience.

3. Please refer to my earlier posts on self-evaluation. If cannot evaluate yourself before putting in your application, then you will be wasting your own time. You need to understand the logic behind your application and help the VO to see it as well.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Omofar
The tuition fees for masters program at Windsor University is CAD 9, 375 for one term. The program duration is 4 terms in 16 months. Please if my bank statement balance show CAD 30,000 is it sufficient for paper application?
Hello Blixdon,

I hope well.

I would suggest you find someone who knows what they are doing to assist you with your application. If you are still talking about paper application in 2021, it means you do not know what you are getting yourself into. Please find a reputable agent to assist you.

Bank statement alone is insufficient to determine the outcome of your application.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Recommend interview simply means that a senior VO would have to review your file
you don’t need to go for any interview
And most times hopefully,it comes with a positive response
All the best.
Hi,

Thanks for the insight. However, can you show where you got this interpretation for '''recommend for interview'' from?

Cheers.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings!

A lot of people have been asking questions that I feel they should have done some research on, and that is simply self evaluation.

I have in the past posted in details how to to do. I have gone back to look for where it is.

Here is the link

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/study-permit-challenges-for-nigerian-applicants.610910/page-155#post-8743470

Please take time to review it, so you are better prepared for your application.

All the best.

Omofar

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello Oyioche1,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

1. I don't have the full information about your application, so I cannot make any judgement call about your chances of success. Furthermore, regardless of how well your application is put together, no one can tell you whether it will be successful or not, you just need to try your best.

2. I disagree with @Simba112 whos says that going for a graduate diploma after a first degree does not show career progression. Career progression is a function of your current job experience or your bachelors degree or both. For example, if you have a first degree in Microbiology, but working in a Bank for the past 3-4 years, you can apply for a post graduate diploma in Business Management. The post-graduate diploma is above your first degree, and it is also related to your most recent work experience.

3. Please refer to my earlier posts on self-evaluation. If cannot evaluate yourself before putting in your application, then you will be wasting your own time. You need to understand the logic behind your application and help the VO to see it as well.

All the best.

Omofar
My comment relates to that of VO on the gcms notes detailing reasons for his previous refusal, having a degree and applied for diploma or certificate does not show career progression..Unfortunately you tried clarify but visa officer want to be convinced not to invoke invoke section 216. Change from 2yrs diploma to 1yr PG Certificate how is that address reasons on gcms notes of his previous refusal?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My comment relates to that of VO on the gcms notes detailing reasons for his previous refusal, having a degree and applied for diploma or certificate does not show career progression..Unfortunately you tried clarify but visa officer want to be convinced not to invoke invoke section 216. Change from 2yrs diploma to 1yr PG Certificate how is that address reasons on gcms notes of his previous refusal?
Hi Simba112,

I get what you are saying now. You were referring to this specific application, while I was speaking generally. You are correct that the change may not convince the VO. However, if he is able to properly explain that the initial application was done in error, perhaps he may get a pass with the VO.
Furthermore, I have also explained that once an initial application has been messed up, it's always had to rectify it with a second application, but it's not impossible.

Cheers.

Omofar

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi Simba112,

I get what you are saying now. You were referring to this specific application, while I was speaking generally. You are correct that the change may not convince the VO. However, if he is able to properly explain that the initial application was done in error, perhaps he may get a pass with the VO.
Furthermore, I have also explained that once an initial application has been messed up, it's always had to rectify it with a second application, but it's not impossible.

Cheers.

Omofar
Absolute right Omofar. Convincing VO second times takes some efforts, he needs to address all the reasons for refusal and revisit his SOP. Hopeful he gets approval next after reapply. Cheers

Reactions: Omofar

Emmanuel22

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for the insight. However, can you show where you got this interpretation for '''recommend for interview'' from?

Cheers.

Omofar
I didn’t get interpretations , I just knew people that were in this same shoes
My friends to be exact also got this “recommended interview “ not one nor two on their gcms didn’t go for any interview whatsoever and they were approved
That’s why it’s eligibility: it’s either you fail, pass or the vo would recommend another senior vo to check the file
I Stand to be corrected tho
All the best.

Last edited:

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
@Omofar please I need your input on this. If one has bachelor's in Engineering, but then after NYSC service, started working as a teacher, then obtained pgd in Education during her teaching career. After teaching for 7yrs, lost the job and started working in family distribution company. Then later got an offer for Masters in Education.

What's her chances of approval, as she last practice as a teacher in 2019, but working in a family drinks distribution company?

Royality

Star Member
May 28, 2020
Absolute right Omofar. Convincing VO second times takes some efforts, he needs to address all the reasons for refusal and revisit his SOP. Hopeful he gets approval next after reapply. Cheers
What about a high school graduate going for a diploma course,is there progression ??

Mamus1

May 7, 2020
Good morning,
please I need assistance, I’m suppose to re-apply for my study but I just got an information that international student have been exempted from entry Ontario.I want if it’s gonna affect online application. Can I still apply for my study permit. In my ircc profile I was surprised to see that I have17 days to complete my application.

Femiiiiiii

May 2, 2021
Good Afternoon All,
I’m new here,I need advice on what my chances are.
-I studied computer science as bsc
- working as an app manager in a bank,currently have about 3years work experience ,I’m 26years
-I’ve been offer admission in uWindsor for applied computing ,also paid the 4000cad deposits to accept my offer
-my sponsor is my dad and he’s small business man,he’s account has about 10m or less
-I have some certifications in IT
-I didn’t do IELTS as it’s not required by my school(hope it won’t affect me)
With the above info, what area do I need to work on or state in my SOP in other to increase my chances in getting my student visa pls .

Thanks