+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

stanoyiga

Jul 11, 2020
Lagos
Category........
STUDY
Hello gurus, please has anyone that applied in August gotten their AIP? I applied on the 4th and am yet to receive any feedback on approval or rejection from IRCC. I don't know if I should take this as refusal and just defer my admission.

Last edited:

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Thank you very much for your response. The program i applied for is a post graduate certificate program of one year studies.
The documents i attached were;
1. The 3 forms
2. My sister bank statement USA citizen.
3. Admission documents
4. Police clearance certificate
5. Bsc, NYSC and WAEC certificate.
6. SOP
7. Study leave from the company
(i didn't attached my bank statement because my work is a contract job, money dont usually come to my account from the company account, most time my boss transfer from his on account and not uniform or on a specific date. )
Zoe44,

First, Your choice of program after BSc don't show progression to my own knowledge, so as stated by others, try go for masters then reapply.

Secondly, your sponsor account is in another country and not your country of application. this may tell the VO you wont return after studies. So my advice here is, take ur time apply for masters for may or Sept 2021 , if possible let your sponsor send the money to your account and wait till after 4 months with LOE to back it up when applying.

Lastly, don't you have properties in your name that will stand as home ties, which with explanation in SOP will help convince them you will come back. I believe attaching leave letter from a company works if its a well known company, but still that not enough as you don't have pay slips.

My humble opinion though.

All the best.

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Zoe44,

First, Your choice of program after BSc don't show progression to my own knowledge, so as stated by others, try go for masters then reapply.

Secondly, your sponsor account is in another country and not your country of application. this may tell the VO you wont return after studies. So my advice here is, take ur time apply for masters for may or Sept 2021 , if possible let your sponsor send the money to your account and wait till after 4 months with LOE to back it up when applying.

Lastly, don't you have properties in your name that will stand as home ties, which with explanation in SOP will help convince them you will come back. I believe attaching leave letter from a company works if its a well known company, but still that not enough as you don't have pay slips.

My humble opinion though.

All the best.
Thank you very much for your response, ibdo appreciate. I have an inherited property from my dad after his death, the property are all in his name. Can i use this, it is a gas station and a house, also a landed property but all in my dad's name.

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
I think it will be best if you apply with a Masters program when you reapply and bank Statement should be in your name (given the fact that you are 27yrs), it will make your case stronger.
I did education in my under graduate and now I'm working as an assistant project manager, should i apply for master's in education field or project management. i got 2.2 in my under graduate. Will i be able to get a master with this grade in education?

Oreoluwatemi

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
I did education in my under graduate and now I'm working as an assistant project manager, should i apply for master's in education field or project management. i got 2.2 in my under graduate. Will i be able to get a master with this grade in education?
You can apply for project Management, since you have work experience. But you have to clearly state how the Masters program will benefit you back in Nigeria and why you cannot study this course in Nigeria also. Yes, there are some universities that will accept a 2.2 but it won’t be the high ranking Universities tho. And like others suggested, this has to be backed with a strong financial proof.

I hope this helped!

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Thank you very much for your response, ibdo appreciate. I have an inherited property from my dad after his death, the property are all in his name. Can i use this, it is a gas station and a house, also a landed property but all in my dad's name.
If actually it was willed to you, there ought to be proof of that from family lawyer that fact. So you can use that but I don't know the strength it will carry in demonstrating proof of home ties.

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
In this scenario, some universities request for 70% in last 2 years or last 60credits, so I wouldn't know. some universities in Canada have their own range of %GPA calculation. for instance I saw at UoM, they classify 60%-64% as B with second class upper denotation and 65%-69% as B+ with second class upper denotation, then 50%-54% as C with second class lower denotation and 55%-59% as C+ with second class lower denotation. All this for Nigeria degree Equivalence for UoM. So please take time to research schools you love to apply for masters and start your application.

Akuoma2020

Apr 28, 2020
Hello gurus, please has anyone that applied in August gotten their AIP? I applied on the 4th and am yet to receive any feedback on approval or rejection from IRCC. I don't know if I should take this as refusal and just defer my admission.
I applied in June and have not gotten my AIP.

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
You can apply for project Management, since you have work experience. But you have to clearly state how the Masters program will benefit you back in Nigeria and why you cannot study this course in Nigeria also. Yes, there are some universities that will accept a 2.2 but it won’t be the high ranking Universities tho. And like others suggested, this has to be backed with a strong financial proof.

I hope this helped!
Thank you, please can you suggest the Universities, i have been looking for master's in project management but could not find it. IInstead it's available in a College.

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
If actually it was willed to you, there ought to be proof of that from family lawyer that fact. So you can use that but I don't know the strength it will carry in demonstrating proof of home ties.
There is no family lawyer or a written will. On the company registration, i was the second highest share holder aside from my dad and the rest on the company board of directors (my brother and my two cousins.) Totalling 5 persons on the board of directors. My dad also own some landed property which i inherited but no paper documents showing he willed it to me.