+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Nagato_

May 13, 2020
hello @Omofar i recently read that IRCC will not be processing paper applications for now , i want to ask , what about people who submitted months before the lock down (February).
p.s webforms have been sent no reply or anything.
kindly advise. thanks in anticipation

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
1. I will advise that you sponsor yourself, if you can. It saves you from unnecessary explanations about reasons for being sponsored by your wife.

2. Honestly no one can determine this than the VO. I will say, you should apply and hope for the best. I mean is not like you’ve got other options I guess? US already denied you twice and closest place with fair PR system is Canada. Australia is too far & may not work for you guys. Try as much as possible to explain your reasons of wanting to study in Canada etc

3. Well age doesn’t matter in education but at times, it matters in immigration (when you’re from a red flagged country eg Nigeria). Again, I will say you should just apply and hope for the best. You’re going for a post study programme which suits the age. I will say you should also give detailed reasons as to (i) why you want to study this certificate program, (ii) what you stand to gain after acquiring the certificate, (iii) how your current or ex work experience has influenced your choice in choosing the particular program you’ve applied for, & (iv) employment prospects.

I’m not sure how you can prove home ties but maybe you have parents in Nigeria? A house or land or something? Just try to provide a home tie.

All the best in your application
Hi
Thanks for your response. Would you advise that reasons include being closer to my wife? Also, my entire family resides in the US except my dad. One of the forms is asking to list all my siblings and addresses etc. I feel like if I come clean, this would make my case even more difficult.
Can Nigerians go the SDS route.
Thanks,

Last edited:

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello @Omofar i recently read that IRCC will not be processing paper applications for now , i want to ask , what about people who submitted months before the lock down (February).
Hi Nagato,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

I recently read somewhere that they will be returning such applications (paper), my understanding of the statement is that they want to discontinue paper applications.

Please do some more research to confirm this.

All the best.

Omofar

Mr B.

Jul 1, 2020
Hello Mr. B,

I some information for you, but I don't think it will help move your situation forward.

The Canada Visa Application Centres in Lagos and Abuja, Nigeria will remain closed until further notice due to the Covid-19. Please visit this website for further updates.

That is the message on the VAC website. The reason you cannot book an appointment is because they are not yet opened for business.

All the best with your application when they eventually open up.

Omofar
Thank you very much for the information

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
For study visa application, can I turn in a copy of my WES assessment in place of copies of my transcript>?
I would advise you try as much as possible to use a transcript. But if not possible to obtain because of COVID-19, use WES and in your letter of explanation, explain the reason you could not use a transcript.

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
COVID-19 is posing an incredibly difficult situation for IRCC. Most of the staff are working from home and nobody wants to catch COVID by touching papers transported across various countries. Besides, they can’t take bundles of documents home to process. This is the reason online application is now the only acceptable form of application.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would advise you try as much as possible to use a transcript. But if not possible to obtain because of COVID-19, use WES and in your letter of explanation, explain the reason you could not use a transcript.
I can't remember how many study permit applications i have obtained approval for I have submitted since I started doing so, I have never submitted transcripts or WES assessment of any academic credential. It is not a requirement, I don;t know why people want to include academic credentials for visa applications. The only academic thing required is the standardized LOA.

In simple terms

1. DLI requires Academic transcripts, WES evaluation (depending on the school, not all of them) and Degree certificates.

2. IRCC only requires LOA from DLI. That is the only academic document required.

I hope this clears it up.

All the best.

Omofar

• Love
Reactions: Happiluv

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
I can't remember how many study permit applications i have obtained approval for I have submitted since I started doing so, I have never submitted transcripts or WES assessment of any academic credential. It is not a requirement, I don;t know why people want to include academic credentials for visa applications. The only academic thing required is the standardized LOA.

In simple terms

1. DLI requires Academic transcripts, WES evaluation (depending on the school, not all of them) and Degree certificates.

2. IRCC only requires LOA from DLI. That is the only academic document required.

I hope this clears it up.

All the best.

Omofar
Omofar,

With all due respect, I would strongly recommend including a transcript. It’s better to err on the side of caution. You may have not included it in the past without issues, and I have seen applicants who didn’t include it and they were successful. However, those applications may have been approved based on other strong factors in their favour.

Away with the fact that Study Permit applications are now processed in Nairobi office, it’s still a Nigerian application and they treat the application as if though they were being processed in Lagos. Although the general study permit application checklist does not indicate that a transcript is required, the Lagos Office Study Permit application checklist requires you to include your academic transcripts.

To be in the right, I would recommend it for any student who is making the application themselves. A rogue visa officer may hold on to that as one of the justifications to give a stupid decision. Besides, he/she may delay your application because you don’t have it and he/she would be justified for doing so because your country-specific checklist requires it. Having said that, a lawyer who is good at writing a strong submission letter to support a study permit application or an immigration consultant may get away with not including one or two things, as your submission letter may be persuasive enough to convince the visa office to give a positive decision. However, this may not always be the case for all applicants who are making their applications themselves.

In summary, anyone who is including the Lagos Office Checklist as part of their application package should endeavour to, as much as possible, include all required documents.

My humble submission!

• Angry

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Omofar,

With all due respect, I would strongly recommend including a transcript. It’s better to err on the side of caution. You may have not included it in the past without issues, and I have seen applicants who didn’t include it and they were successful. However, those applications may have been approved based on other strong factors in their favour.

Away with the fact that Study Permit applications are now processed in Nairobi office, it’s still a Nigerian application and they treat the application as if though they were being processed in Lagos. Although the general study permit application checklist does not indicate that a transcript is required, the Lagos Office Study Permit application checklist requires you to include your academic transcripts.

To be in the right, I would recommend it for any student who is making the application themselves. A rogue visa officer may hold on to that as one of the justifications to give a stupid decision. Besides, he/she may delay your application because you don’t have it and he/she would be justified for doing so because your country-specific checklist requires it. Having said that, a lawyer who is good at writing a strong submission letter to support a study permit application or an immigration consultant may get away with not including one or two things, as your submission letter may be persuasive enough to convince the visa office to give a positive decision. However, this may not always be the case for all applicants who are making their applications themselves.

In summary, anyone who is including the Lagos Office Checklist as part of their application package should endeavour to, as much as possible, include all required documents.

My humble submission!
I am sure you have been following the thread that the IRCC is now requesting only online applications and no longer paper. Before I started doing online applications, the ignorant officers at the VAC would ask for things that were not required, making me carry unnecessary bulk of paper for individual applications.. infact they drove me towards online application. This made life easy for me, the online application creates a checklist, and it is this checklist that should guide one's application. Again, no where on the checklist is transcripts or degree certificates required.

But if anyone feels they must submit those documents, they should feel free to do so. But recall that online applications can only accept a maximum of 4MB per each document.

All the best to those applying.

Cheers.

Omofar

• Love

Nagato_

May 13, 2020
Hi Nagato,

I recently read somewhere that they will be returning such applications (paper), my understanding of the statement is that they want to discontinue paper applications.

Please do some more research to confirm this.

All the best.

Omofar
Thank you for your reply, i'll try and do more research on it

kishi9

Jul 13, 2016
Hello,

I would like to put all chances aside for my future application for a study visa in fall 2021. Your advises will be much appreciated.

I would like to do a bachelor's degree in administration in order to work in the banking sector in the DRC. It is a sector where employment opportunities are strong. Possessing a Canadian diploma is an added value that will allow salary and material advantage over the latest Congolese diplomas. The banking project for the population is a priority in the DRC. There are only 3 pc of the population banked.

Indeed I was refused a visitor's visa to spend 2 weeks in Canada during the Christmas holidays. I would like to put all my chances aside.

The reason for the denial:

Low employment prospects: I live in DR Congo

Insufficient funds:
My doctor aunt took care of everything, plane tickets and accommodation.
As proof I send pay slip, letter of acceptance, proof of employment, etc.

Travel abroad too recent:
Last 3 trips during school holidays before the visa application:
Schengen: summer 2019
Zambia: Spring 2019
South Africa: Christmas 2018

My personal history:
I'm 18 years old and was born in 2001.
I study at the French Consular School in DR Congo. My father is a permanent resident in Canada, entering through a study permit in 2001. My mother is a permanent resident in England.

My parents have me at 18 years old. They separated and let me live with my grandparents in Congo.

My father is married to his Canadian wife and they have two Canadian children.
My father did not include me as a child in his application for PR.

My mother who lives in England is married to an Englishman and they have an English son together.

Paternal side:
-2 aunts a Canadian doctor and a Permanent Resident living in Canada for more than 20 years
-1 Canadian uncle living in Canada for over 20 years.
- grandparents got visitor visa since 2016

Maternal side:
-1 Canadian aunt who has lived in Canada for more than 10 years
-1 Congolese aunt visitor visa for Canada since October 2019
-Congolese grandmother has a visitor visa since October 2019

Thank you in advance

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hello,

I would like to put all chances aside for my future application for a study visa in fall 2021. Your advises will be much appreciated.

I would like to do a bachelor's degree in administration in order to work in the banking sector in the DRC. It is a sector where employment opportunities are strong. Possessing a Canadian diploma is an added value that will allow salary and material advantage over the latest Congolese diplomas. The banking project for the population is a priority in the DRC. There are only 3 pc of the population banked.

Indeed I was refused a visitor's visa to spend 2 weeks in Canada during the Christmas holidays. I would like to put all my chances aside.

The reason for the denial:

Low employment prospects: I live in DR Congo

Insufficient funds:
My doctor aunt took care of everything, plane tickets and accommodation.
As proof I send pay slip, letter of acceptance, proof of employment, etc.

Travel abroad too recent:
Last 3 trips during school holidays before the visa application:
Schengen: summer 2019
Zambia: Spring 2019
South Africa: Christmas 2018

My personal history:
I'm 18 years old and was born in 2001.
I study at the French Consular School in DR Congo. My father is a permanent resident in Canada, entering through a study permit in 2001. My mother is a permanent resident in England.

My parents have me at 18 years old. They separated and let me live with my grandparents in Congo.

My father is married to his Canadian wife and they have two Canadian children.
My father did not include me as a child in his application for PR.

My mother who lives in England is married to an Englishman and they have an English son together.

Paternal side:
-2 aunts a Canadian doctor and a Permanent Resident living in Canada for more than 20 years
-1 Canadian uncle living in Canada for over 20 years.
- grandparents got visitor visa since 2016

Maternal side:
-1 Canadian aunt who has lived in Canada for more than 10 years
-1 Congolese aunt visitor visa for Canada since October 2019
-Congolese grandmother has a visitor visa since October 2019

Thank you in advance
Is your father still unwilling/unable to sponsor you for PR? He could do it until you're 22 as far as I'm aware.

In the meantime you will need to show proof of funds. It needs to be clear you can afford your studies in Canada. Letters of support from your Canadian relatives may be useful, but at the same time you need to make it clear you will not stay with them illegally afterward. You can add your own letter of explanation to say why a Canadian degree will help your career prospects in the DRC. It shows that you understand the rules and your intentions are genuine.

kishi9

Jul 13, 2016
Thank you for your advice

On the subject of sponsorship, I understand that since my father did not register me as a child when he applied for permanent residence, he no longer has the right to sponsor me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think that's true.
It is correct unfortunately. The OP can never be sponsored by his/her father for PR. Because the father failed to declare the OP in his application when he immigrated through an economic immigration stream, the OP is forever excluded as a dependent and cannot be sponsored by his/her father for PR.