+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Akuoma2020

Apr 28, 2020
I submitted my application on 7th june 2020 and my biometric letter was issued on 8th june 2020. It was an online application. I hope this was helpful
Thank you for your kind response. I have just gotten an invitation letter for the Biometrics. Mine is an online application too.

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Hey everyone,
I recently got admitted into a graduate certificate program and plan on applying for a student visa. However I have some concerns.

I'm 37, no kids and graduated from a US university in 2015. I worked through 2019. I lived in the US for ~17 years and had leave as my status was no longer valid. Before I returned to Nigeria, I got married to my wife who is currently on H1B. I have applied twice for a dependent visa to the US but have been denied. I suspect they think it's a sham marriage.

In light of the above, how might I present my case to the VO? Also, i haven't worked in Nigeria since i returned but I do have a registered business. I also currently share a joint US Bank account with my wife with over $50K . My wife also has a separate account with significantly more in it.

1. Would you advise as far proof of income, I self sponsor or have my wife sponsor me?
2. Do you suppose my stay in the US might present some challenges?
3. Would my age also be a concern?

Thanks.
1. I will advise that you sponsor yourself, if you can. It saves you from unnecessary explanations about reasons for being sponsored by your wife.

2. Honestly no one can determine this than the VO. I will say, you should apply and hope for the best. I mean is not like you’ve got other options I guess? US already denied you twice and closest place with fair PR system is Canada. Australia is too far & may not work for you guys. Try as much as possible to explain your reasons of wanting to study in Canada etc

3. Well age doesn’t matter in education but at times, it matters in immigration (when you’re from a red flagged country eg Nigeria). Again, I will say you should just apply and hope for the best. You’re going for a post study programme which suits the age. I will say you should also give detailed reasons as to (i) why you want to study this certificate program, (ii) what you stand to gain after acquiring the certificate, (iii) how your current or ex work experience has influenced your choice in choosing the particular program you’ve applied for, & (iv) employment prospects.

I’m not sure how you can prove home ties but maybe you have parents in Nigeria? A house or land or something? Just try to provide a home tie.

All the best in your application

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Hey omofor

Hey I'm from Tanzania (east africa) n currently 25 . As we all know the rejection rates are not only high In Nigeria but all over africa so we all African students are sailing on the same boat .... I completed my bachelor's in banking n finance in the year 2018 n thereafter completed my internship in an international auditing firm n currently working for the last 1 year. I have applied for business analytics course at Seneca for sept intake my visa is still under process. The timeline of my visa process is as follows
Application status and messages

Check the status, review the details and read messages for your application.

Application status

We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Latest update:
Review of medical results - May 11, 2020:You passed the medical exam.

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility

We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results

May 11, 2020 You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents

We do not need additional documents.

InterviewHelp - Interview

You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

BiometricsHelp - Biometrics

April 7, 2020 Completed.

Background checkHelp - Background check

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decisionHelp - Final decision

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

For my financial documents I have shown few FDs which are over 6 months n can be liquidated any time have very well exceeded the minimum requirement and my parents employment letter with their income details.

For my purpose I could easily relate the course which I have decided to undertake to my past education and mainly the difference in methods of studying in both the countries.. (my country is more theoretical n canada is actually application basis)

My intentions to return back after studies as this course is in high demand in both public sector n pvt sector (bank,insurance,accounting firms) n will give me a good job opportunities in my home country. Here i mainly focused n job prospects
Just remain positive and I’m sure it will end in praises - coming from Tanzania.

notkenny

Jun 27, 2020
Hi guys. I don't know if anyone can help me with this.

I am planning to apply for a study permit in the next few weeks or so and i was wondering about a few things:
1. Should I pay all my tuition fees for the first year or is a single semester sufficient?
2. Should I deposit my living costs in GIC? I am probably going to stay on campus and I would need that money to pay for accommodation. So i guess i'm asking if the money i deposit in GIC would be readily accessible?
3. Is it better to just pay for the accommodation yourself and show your receipt in your application?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For study visa application, can I turn in a copy of my WES assessment in place of copies of my transcript>?
Hi Bojangles,

I hope well. If you put in your application online, you will be made to answer a questionnaire, based on your answers, a checklist will be generated for you. You are to submit your application based on the checklist. Please use the checklist to confirm what you can submit and what you cannot submit.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: Happiluv

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys. I don't know if anyone can help me with this.

I am planning to apply for a study permit in the next few weeks or so and i was wondering about a few things:
1. Should I pay all my tuition fees for the first year or is a single semester sufficient?
2. Should I deposit my living costs in GIC? I am probably going to stay on campus and I would need that money to pay for accommodation. So i guess i'm asking if the money i deposit in GIC would be readily accessible?
3. Is it better to just pay for the accommodation yourself and show your receipt in your application?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi notkenny,

1. If you can afford to pay for the 1st session, please do, if not, payment for the 1st semester is reasonable.

2. Unless you are using the SDS route, but if you are appling normally, there is no need to do that. Simply live the funds for your living costs in your personal account. But also show the source of the income such as employment records, payslips, gifts, etc

3. Do not make payment for accommodation until you get your study permit approval.

All the best.

Omofar

notkenny

Jun 27, 2020
Hi notkenny,

1. If you can afford to pay for the 1st session, please do, if not, payment for the 1st semester is reasonable.

2. Unless you are using the SDS route, but if you are appling normally, there is no need to do that. Simply live the funds for your living costs in your personal account. But also show the source of the income such as employment records, payslips, gifts, etc

3. Do not make payment for accommodation until you get your study permit approval.

All the best.

Omofar
Thank you so much!

Mr B.

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

Please does anyone have any information regarding VFS Global Lagos and the ability to book for biometric appointment??? I have been trying to book an appointment since 4am 1st of July but not possible till now. I need any information that would help me moving forward.

thatniceboy

Aug 29, 2019
please is canada opened to those whose study permit application was approved before march 18th......mine has been approved since feb. and am yet to travel due to Lagos international airport closure

Reactions: Happiluv

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Please does anyone have any information regarding VFS Global Lagos and the ability to book for biometric appointment??? I have been trying to book an appointment since 4am 1st of July but not possible till now. I need any information that would help me moving forward.
Hello Mr. B,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

I some information for you, but I don't think it will help move your situation forward.

The Canada Visa Application Centres in Lagos and Abuja, Nigeria will remain closed until further notice due to the Covid-19. Please visit this website for further updates.

That is the message on the VAC website. The reason you cannot book an appointment is because they are not yet opened for business.

All the best with your application when they eventually open up.

Omofar

Reactions: Mr B.

Bence

Jul 2, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm 25 years of age and from Nigeria. I'm currently a National Diploma holder (OND) in secretarial studies. I intend to start an undergraduate program in Business administration in Canada next year January (2021). Please I need help on our to get admissions in any of the Canada Universities that charge less or not more 10000CAD for international students. Thanks

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
Hi notkenny,

All the best.

Omofar

Does the SDS also apply to Nigerians?

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Recently applied To MEng Civil Eng. UoM for May 2021 intake. my profile is
Last 2years CGPA= 80.56% or 79.07% If 6months IT is removed.
Overall CGPA is 67%.
8yrs of Construction experience.
1 academic research
2 academic seminars

My profile moved from check between 1-2 weeks to under review in department. Please my what's my chance of been accepted into the university and what other colleges can I apply to gain admission be it diploma. your suggestion is highly needed. Thanks.