+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Onyx20

Jun 8, 2020
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers
Good morning dear, please I am a graduate of biochemistry (2015) and just got admission at University of Newfoundland for advanced diploma in food safety. The total cost of living and tuition all through the program is 19000CAD. I have been working since 2017 but I don't have any fund in my possession.my brother is my sponsor but the account is in his name and wife's own, the fund available is about 30,000 CAD which is in a fixed deposit. Do you think using his account can be a sign for visa denial. If yes what else can I do

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Good morning dear, please I am a graduate of biochemistry (2015) and just got admission at University of Newfoundland for advanced diploma in food safety. The total cost of living and tuition all through the program is 19000CAD. I have been working since 2017 but I don't have any fund in my possession.my brother is my sponsor but the account is in his name and wife's own, the fund available is about 30,000 CAD which is in a fixed deposit. Do you think using his account can be a sign for visa denial. If yes what else can I do
Yes and no its up to you to write to the vo why he wants to sponsor you and what he stands to gain....the second reason for a rejection is you graduate with a bachelor's degree and you are going for an advance diploma it's a red flag you need to go for something higher not lower....

Reactions: Onyx20

Onyx20

Jun 8, 2020
Yes and no its up to you to write to the vo why he wants to sponsor you and what he stands to gain....the second reason for a rejection is you graduate with a bachelor's degree and you are going for an advance diploma it's a red flag you need to go for something higher not lower....
I don't think it's lower than a Bsc bcos you must have a bsc or a 3years degree to be able to apply for admission. I also stated reason in my study plan that I have been denied a promotion at work and higher job opportunities because I don't have any qualification in a food related course. Also I am only granted a one year leave plan so going for two years course will lead to termination of my employment

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings Everyone,

Sincere apologies for being away from the forum for a while. I have been busy with other personal matters; also the embassy is yet to be open due to COVID-19 matters. I have responded to those who DMed me. We are praying that the embassies open soon and international airports open as well.

I wish everyone the best with their visa application plans.

Have a blessed day.

Omofar

Reactions: Ahamira

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Good day
Greetings Everyone,

Sincere apologies for being away from the forum for a while. I have been busy with other personal matters; also the embassy is yet to be open due to COVID-19 matters. I have responded to those who DMed me. We are praying that the embassies open soon and international airports open as well.

I wish everyone the best with their visa application plans.

Have a blessed day.

Omofar
Good day Mr omofar and everyone here pls i applied for a visa with a particular school for a bachelor's and was given the 4yrs visa unfortunately due to this pandemic, the school's admission would expire this September 2020 failure to resume, so I did think of applying to another school for advance diploma for may 2021 admission, exactly the same program but would take a year lesser to complete my question is this if am given admission can I travel with this visa or reapply for another........thanks your answers are highly appreciated..

Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day

Good day Mr omofar and everyone here pls i applied for a visa with a particular school for a bachelor's and was given the 4yrs visa unfortunately due to this pandemic, the school's admission would expire this September 2020 failure to resume, so I did think of applying to another school for advance diploma for may 2021 admission, exactly the same program but would take a year lesser to complete my question is this if am given admission can I travel with this visa or reapply for another........thanks your answers are highly appreciated..
If I get you correctly, you got the visa, congratulations!

You have a few options

1. There is a policy on ground now that International students can start their studies online pending when they can travel to Canada, and if they choose to follow this route, then they must ensure they are in Canada by December 2020, and there will be no problem.

2. Request for the admission to be deferred until January or May 2021 whichever is preferable to you. Once the dust of the pandemic settles and travel resumes you can proceed to resume.

3. I am not clear why you want to change from a Bachelors degree to Advanced diploma, but it makes no difference to your ability to pursue your studies with the visa you have.

Finally, the visa you have is called a TRV (travel visa), it is only required to facilitate your Travel and Residence in Canada. When you get to the port of entry in Canada, that is when the immigration at the border will issue you your Study Permit and the conditions attached to it on an A-4 piece of paper. The study permit issued will be based on the LOA you present to the border officer. He/She may ask you why you are changing from the Bachelors to the Advanced Diploma, if you justify the change then you have no problem. However, if you present the Bachelors LOA, you get a four year study permit, if you present the AD LOA you get 3 years study permit.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Omofar

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Hello, Omofar
I applied for study visa on june 7th and have gotten an invitation to go do my biometrics, and i have a 3months time to do so, my admission will expire in September 15th 2020. My question is, while i have not done my biometric, will my application still be processed since the VFS office is temporarily closed. Thanks

Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, Omofar
I applied for study visa on june 7th and have gotten an invitation to go do my biometrics, and i have a 3months time to do so, my admission will expire in September 15th 2020. My question is, while i have not done my biometric, will my application still be processed since the VFS office is temporarily closed. Thanks
I honestly do not think it's your fault, so when the lock stopped, you can go and do the biometrics..

All the best.

Omofar

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
Hey everyone,
I recently got admitted into a graduate certificate program and plan on applying for a student visa. However I have some concerns.

I'm 37, no kids and graduated from a US university in 2015. I worked through 2019. I lived in the US for ~17 years and had leave as my status was no longer valid. Before I returned to Nigeria, I got married to my wife who is currently on H1B. I have applied twice for a dependent visa to the US but have been denied. I suspect they think it's a sham marriage.

In light of the above, how might I present my case to the VO? Also, i haven't worked in Nigeria since i returned but I do have a registered business. I also currently share a joint US Bank account with my wife with over $50K . My wife also has a separate account with significantly more in it.

1. Would you advise as far proof of income, I self sponsor or have my wife sponsor me?
2. Do you suppose my stay in the US might present some challenges?
3. Would my age also be a concern?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Hey omofor

Hey I'm from Tanzania (east africa) n currently 25 . As we all know the rejection rates are not only high In Nigeria but all over africa so we all African students are sailing on the same boat .... I completed my bachelor's in banking n finance in the year 2018 n thereafter completed my internship in an international auditing firm n currently working for the last 1 year. I have applied for business analytics course at Seneca for sept intake my visa is still under process. The timeline of my visa process is as follows
Application status and messages

Check the status, review the details and read messages for your application.

Application status

We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Latest update:
Review of medical results - May 11, 2020:You passed the medical exam.

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility

We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results

May 11, 2020 You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents

We do not need additional documents.

InterviewHelp - Interview

You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

BiometricsHelp - Biometrics

April 7, 2020 Completed.

Background checkHelp - Background check

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decisionHelp - Final decision

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

For my financial documents I have shown few FDs which are over 6 months n can be liquidated any time have very well exceeded the minimum requirement and my parents employment letter with their income details.

For my purpose I could easily relate the course which I have decided to undertake to my past education and mainly the difference in methods of studying in both the countries.. (my country is more theoretical n canada is actually application basis)

My intentions to return back after studies as this course is in high demand in both public sector n pvt sector (bank,insurance,accounting firms) n will give me a good job opportunities in my home country. Here i mainly focused n job prospects

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey omofor

Hey I'm from Tanzania (east africa) n currently 25 . As we all know the rejection rates are not only high In Nigeria but all over africa so we all African students are sailing on the same boat .... I completed my bachelor's in banking n finance in the year 2018 n thereafter completed my internship in an international auditing firm n currently working for the last 1 year. I have applied for business analytics course at Seneca for sept intake my visa is still under process. The timeline of my visa process is as follows
Application status and messages

Check the status, review the details and read messages for your application.

Application status

We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Latest update:
Review of medical results - May 11, 2020:You passed the medical exam.

Details about your application status

When we get your application, there are a series of steps it may go through before we make a decision. Use the following table to find out the current status of each application step.

Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility

We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.

Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results

May 11, 2020 You passed the medical exam.

Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents

We do not need additional documents.

InterviewHelp - Interview

You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.

BiometricsHelp - Biometrics

April 7, 2020 Completed.

Background checkHelp - Background check

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Final decisionHelp - Final decision

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

For my financial documents I have shown few FDs which are over 6 months n can be liquidated any time have very well exceeded the minimum requirement and my parents employment letter with their income details.

For my purpose I could easily relate the course which I have decided to undertake to my past education and mainly the difference in methods of studying in both the countries.. (my country is more theoretical n canada is actually application basis)

My intentions to return back after studies as this course is in high demand in both public sector n pvt sector (bank,insurance,accounting firms) n will give me a good job opportunities in my home country. Here i mainly focused n job prospects
Hello Yash1995,

Thanks for visiting this thread. You are correct that the refusal rates across Africa is extremely high. All you can do now that you have submitted your application is to wait and hope for the best.

Cheers.

Omofar

Akuoma2020

Apr 28, 2020
H
Hello, Omofar
Hello,
Please I would like to know when you received the invitation to go for your Biometrics. How long did it take after you submitted your application before you got the invitation to go for your biometrics. I also submitted mine but yet to get an invitation.
I hope to hear from you.
thanks and Goodluck in your application.

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
H

Hello,
Please I would like to know when you received the invitation to go for your Biometrics. How long did it take after you submitted your application before you got the invitation to go for your biometrics. I also submitted mine but yet to get an invitation.
I hope to hear from you.
thanks and Goodluck in your application.
I submitted my application on 7th june 2020 and my biometric letter was issued on 8th june 2020. It was an online application. I hope this was helpful