+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please I'm planning to apply to a Canadian University and I have a CGPA of 3.38/5.00 and when I tried converting it to the 4.00 Canadian scale, it's 2.70/4.00. Now my question is will I have schools I'm Canada that will take that for Masters I should go for a Graduate Diploma course.
Hi,

Graduate Diploma.

All the best.

Omofar

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Greetings everyone,

Things are not rosy with the Canadian embassy at the moment, and here are my thought on why:

1. I am seeing indiscriminate refusals of applications for Canadian Study Permit for genuine applicants from Nigeria.

2. I suspect The Embassy has begun to lack transparency and fairness in the way they apply the immigration rules to applicants from Nigeria.

3. I suspect that they may have started a quota system, and once that has been met all subsequent applications, whether genuine or otherwise will be refused.

Which way forward now?

I am open to ideas.

Many thanks

Omofar
I have also noticed these the best we can do is our best with our documents. I'm about to share my story on this thread as well that'll prove what you said above.
However before that I have a question please how long does stamping of passport take now, as I was told average of 10 working days while earlier this year I was told a week or less ??

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have also noticed these the best we can do is our best with our documents. I'm about to share my story on this thread as well that'll prove what you said above.
However before that I have a question please how long does stamping of passport take now, as I was told average of 10 working days while earlier this year I was told a week or less ??
We would be keen to hear your story.

As per the number of days for visa stamping, I cannot say. Everything about Canadian study permit application has become so unpredictable, lacking any sort of transparency..

Omofar

Last edited:

Olumaty

Sep 5, 2019
Am HND graduate here in Nigeria and I want to apply post graduate diploma in Canada but am looking for school that is not expensive. Any response will be highly appreciated

Maaze

Aug 21, 2019
Hello, my name is Adeyosola..I applied online for visa into Canada on the 4th of June and went for biometrics on the 11th. So far since then I've not recieved any message except my tracking number..and I heard that if you aren't contacted for medicals it spells doom for ones application..I just want to ask...is there anyone here that has ever been granted visa without submitting medicals?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, my name is Adeyosola..I applied online for visa into Canada on the 4th of June and went for biometrics on the 11th. So far since then I've not recieved any message except my tracking number..and I heard that if you aren't contacted for medicals it spells doom for ones application..I just want to ask...is there anyone here that has ever been granted visa without submitting medicals?
Hello Maaze,

Thanks for visiting this thred.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a study permit approved without medical request. Don't give up yet, perhaps they are still reviewing your documentation and checking your eligibility. If you are eligible, you will get the medical request, if not, then unfortunately, they will be declining your application.

All the best.

Omofar

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
No you can't get without medicals as @Omofar said below. They'll review your application and if you get a medical request it means they're satisfied with every other thing and you have an extremely high chance of getting the visa. You can also do the medicals now (upfront medicals) if you are in a hurry (which I don't think you will be as September resumption is all but gone), you will get Proof of having done the upfront medicals from the hospital and you should send it immediately via web form to your visa processing centre (if you already know it) or you can send it to the centres in Canada, Nairobi and London (if you don't know your proceeding centre), if you have their mails you can send it by mail. In the mail or web form include your Unified client identifier number (UCI), your application number, your names and date of birth. I think you'll be asked this questions if you do it via web form which is preferable to mail

GustyUS

Aug 12, 2019
Good day @Omofar
Thanks for the excellent job!!
May God bless you abundantly!!
I applied for Jan 2020 summer admission!
Am still waiting for response!!
But just want to start preparing myself before the acceptance letter comes by Godsgrace. Please immediately am granted the admission , what am I to do?? Sorry for drawing you back!! Thanks , anticipating your response!!

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GIS #5: HAS THE CANADIAN EMBASSY BLACKLISTED NIGERIAN APPLICANTS?

I think so!

Today I got a notification for a client, the application was refused a second time.....:(:(:(:(:(

(I am definitely quitting this business, it's becoming embarrassing!) :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This client wanted to travel for holiday, runs a business with an annual turnover of over N1bn, had over N100M in their account balance, had travelled to several countries... Yet the application was refused a second time.

What the f@#$ is this?!

Take note, it was an online application that was sent to the London Office. The most vindictive, inefficient, slowest in processing applications. Took over two months just to reject a genuine application. I am still investigating.

In the meantime, I strongly suggest you stop online applications that will send your applications to Kenya or London.

Package your application properly, carry yourself to Ghana, and submit at the VFS office there. No GUARANTEES, but at least you might stand a better chance..

We are still observing.

All the best.

Omofar.

Last edited:

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada rejects most African students

Three of every four African students who applied for a permit to study in Canada were rejected this winter and spring by Canadian immigration officials.

An analysis of study permit refusal trends found that students from African nations were far more likely to be refused a permit than students from any other region.

Canadian immigration officials rejected 39 per cent of all study permit applications worldwide in the first five months of 2019. The refusal and approval rates vary dramatically by where the students are from and what kind of education they seek in Canada. For example, only four per cent of study permit applications from Japan and Korea were rejected this year, compared to 81 per cent of applications from Nigeria and 86 per cent of applications from Algeria. However, students from Japan and Korea were also more likely to apply for a study permit to attend an English-as-a-second-language (ESL) program. The refusal rates for ESL programs is lower than for college or university programs.

Overall, immigration officials refused 75 per cent of the applications from Africa. The figures only include applications for new study permits, not extensions. The figures do not include applications that were withdrawn.

Officials can refuse a study permit for many reasons: if they suspect the student may not return to their home country after graduation; if the student doesn’t have sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs while in Canada; if the student poses a health or security threat to Canada, if the officer doesn’t think the student’s academic plan makes sense; if the application is incomplete or inaccurate or if there is evidence of fraud in the application. Harpreet Kochhar, assistant deputy minister of immigration, warned last fall that fraud has become a significant problem in study permit applications.

Untapped potential

Six African nations regularly generate more than 2,000 study permit applications to Canada a year, and Nigeria is in the top-five source countries, generating more than 12,000 study permit applications to Canada each year.

Two African countries are about to be added to a special system that fast tracks study permit applications. The student direct stream offers a streamlined process to students from China, Vietnam, India, the Philippines and Pakistan. The program will be available to students from Morocco and Senegal starting Sept. 9, 2019. Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen suggested in June, 2018, that the system would also be expanded to Kenya, but that has not happened.

Alain Roy, vice president of Colleges and Institutes Canada, said his organization has lobbied Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to expand the student direct stream and to find ways to improve the study permit approval rate for applicants from African nations.

“There are regions where we see a lot of potential where study permit approvals are very low,” he said.

“Africa has a lot of potential for growth but approval rates are low despite the fact that when we do get students to Canada, African students do quite well.”

Robert Summerby-Murray is president of Saint Mary’s University in Halifax and chair of the Canadian Bureau of International Education. He said his university has not had any significant problems with study permit refusals for students from Africa. Foreign students make up about one third of total enrolment at Saint Mary’s, with students coming to the Halifax university from 115 different countries this year.

He suggested Saint Mary’s might have fewer problems because it has long-standing relationships with Canadian consular officials in Africa and elsewhere and because the university works with local recruiters who are known and respected in the field.

Universities Canada declined to comment on the study permit refusal trends.

11 new favourite nations

Canada recently announced a new five-year strategy to support and grow international education. A key part of the new strategy is to attract students from a more diverse range of countries to study in Canada. Global Affairs identified 11 countries where it will focus marketing efforts for Canadian education. Morocco is the only African nation on the list.

Some of the countries identified as high potential in the strategy also had higher than average refusal rates in 2019, including Vietnam (55%), Morocco (51%), Ukraine (41%) and the Philippines (40%).

Source: https://studentimmigration.ca/four-in-10-international-students-turned-away-by-canadian-immigration/

Reactions: cimci

MAYANA2019

Sep 6, 2019
Hlo Omafar
I applied for my student permit on may 30.. Got medical request June 28
Medical passed July 28....
Till now they have only sent correspondence letter stating my biometrics valid for ten years....
And also am to resume Jan 2020....
Any advice??????

Officialhkm

Aug 29, 2019
Lagos
Category........
QSW
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers
I'd really appreciate if you can assist me on what to do sir. And the following are the reasons I was refused according to the embassy.
I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of
residence.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can
demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be
accompanied by a new processing fee. I am planning to put in for a reapplication but I don't know what to do. Please assist me.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hlo Omafar
Till now they have only sent correspondence letter stating my biometrics valid for ten years....
Any advice??????
I am sorry, but I do not have any advice that could possibly change your situation. Your best bet is to wait and hope for the best. I have seen some one who was asked to do medical exam, after doing it, he was rejected.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd really appreciate if you can assist me on what to do sir. And the following are the reasons I was refused according to the embassy.
I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of
residence.
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can
demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be
accompanied by a new processing fee. I am planning to put in for a reapplication but I don't know what to do. Please assist me.
Please read the preceding posts to yours.

I am sorry there is nothing I can do.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hlo Omafar
Any advice??????
Just make Sure you don't tamper with the accounts you used to show your. Financial status and pray they verify that all your documents are true. Naturally anyone who gets medical request has an extremely high chance of success, but it's a bit worrying that you've passed the medical since July 28 and they haven't approved your permit. They're meant to approve your permit like 2 weeks after you pass your medical (provided it's requested), perhaps they didn't want to give you your study permit as early as August because you're resuming in January, but you should get it this month. When did you get the correspondence letter?