+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I waited and waited after applying and i was getting impatient so around july 2nd i went for my medicals without the request and sent the form i was given to ircc to upload for me and it was a few days later then on the 31st of july i passed the medicals and the next day i was approved
It is very possible they had already sent you an email requesting for your medicals and for whatever reason you either missed it, or deleted it from your email account in error or whatever. I am happy that you had a positive outcome at the end. It appears they were waiting for the medical report.

All the best in Canada.

Omofar

qtonik123

Aug 18, 2018
Hello Amjugab,

Thanks for visiting this thread, you are welcome.

There are two things here.

1. PhD studies

2. Study permit application process

1. PhD Studies in Canada is a very difficult process, especially now that you are already 35. In Canada, you have to get a PI or what we refer to as a supervisor willing to take you as a graduate/PhD student. That is a herculean task depending on the field of study. It is more cost effective for the PI to take a Canadian or PR holder than take an International student. It will be quite difficult, and I am afraid I may not be able to offer any tangible advise in that area.

2. With regards to Canadian Study Permit the process is the same, it does not matter whether its BSc, PhD, College, it all the same. If you ge an offer of admission for your PhD and follow all the advise I have given concerning applying for a study permit, then you should be fine.

I wish you all the best.

Omofar
Dear Omofar,

Thanks for the good job you are doing.

Please i currently have 5 years valid visiting visa to Canada, I got that early part of the year. I also have a good travel history however, i want ot go for my Ph.D and my admission is almost guaranteed as i already got a supervisor. I am 44 years old.

My question is, Do i have a good chances of getting a study permit? Will my existing visa be cancelled if they refuse the study permit? do you foresee any reason not to approve my study permit despite the fact that i have visiting visa? I will pay my fees myself and have funds to show for it.
I am married with 4 kids though they will not join me immediately.

Thanks

Jul 12, 2019
Good day omofar ...Thanks for the continous help in this forum
I would be applying for my visa this month for january 2020 intake for a post graduate program.
I plan using my Dad’s statement of account from both is company and private account which has about 11.7million in it ..
Have also paid part of my fees ...
I have a sister who works in UK , i dont know if it would be good to also use her bank statement or it would reduce my chances of getting the visa ?

Thanks

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Omofar,

Thanks for the good job you are doing.

Please i currently have 5 years valid visiting visa to Canada, I got that early part of the year. I also have a good travel history however, i want ot go for my Ph.D and my admission is almost guaranteed as i already got a supervisor. I am 44 years old.

My question is, Do i have a good chances of getting a study permit? Will my existing visa be cancelled if they refuse the study permit? do you foresee any reason not to approve my study permit despite the fact that i have visiting visa? I will pay my fees myself and have funds to show for it.
I am married with 4 kids though they will not join me immediately.

Thanks
Hello qtonik123,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

Your case is that of a double edged sword. You have two options.

1. Safer option:- I would suggest the following, get your admission and fly to Canada on the tourist visa. Before you fly contact a good immigration lawyer and ask on the process of how to change conditions from visiting to study permit, infact start that process now. That way you are already in the country and the chances of your tourist visa being cancelled is far less.

2. Right but Risky Option:- Get your admission, apply for your study permit, justify why you are just applying for a PhD at this time and hopefully you get your study permit. Bear it in mind that with the volume of application the embassy is getting coupled with the socio-political tension in the country, Canadian visa study approval rates as at 2017 was less than 15%, I don't know if it has come down further since then as they have not released the data.

These are my honest opinions. Please take them with caution, ask God for guidance in all you do.

Wish you the very best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day omofar ...Thanks for the continous help in this forum
I would be applying for my visa this month for january 2020 intake for a post graduate program.
I plan using my Dad’s statement of account from both is company and private account which has about 11.7million in it ..
Have also paid part of my fees ...
I have a sister who works in UK , i dont know if it would be good to also use her bank statement or it would reduce my chances of getting the visa ?

Thanks
Hi Prisca Collins,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

Please do not bring up anything about your sister in the UK, except in the family information form.

All the best.

Omofar

Seunfunmi07

Star Member
Jun 26, 2019
It is very possible they had already sent you an email requesting for your medicals and for whatever reason you either missed it, or deleted it from your email account in error or whatever. I am happy that you had a positive outcome at the end. It appears they were waiting for the medical report.

All the best in Canada.

Omofar
Thank you

Nascoajet2

Aug 2, 2019
So I can do my medical upfront?
No you can do your upfront medicals even after submitting application and without getting the request that is what i did as i waited too long and couldn’t wait any longer so i just decided to go do the medicals even without getting the request all you just have to do is after the medicals you will be given a form indicating you did upfront and you scan it and email it to ircc and th

Oyinodus

Mar 22, 2018
Yes I waited and waited after applying and i was getting impatient so around july 2nd i went for my medicals without the request and sent the form i was given to ircc to upload for me and it was a few days later then on the 31st of july i passed the medicals and the next day i was approved
Thanks, will do same.