+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

STEP_HEN

Oct 14, 2019
Dea|Mr Omafar, if I type your name correctly, please can I still apply for another PhD program after finishing, doctorate in Philippines or can I just apply for conferences or seminar to enter Canada, am from Nigeria but reside in Philippines, thanks

Dspecial1

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hello Omofar, good job! This is a long one though, but it might help someone never to loose hope. I picked interest in responding to this particular post. Pls the mother should not loose hope n reapply. I have been out of school after my 1st degree in computer science from a Nigerian university (part time) for over 13yrs but I've been working for 20yrs in admin dept of my organisation. I decided to take my career further by applying for post grad. Studies in global buss mgnt at Humber College n I was admitted. I applied on March 12 for visa but got rejected on May 25 on reasons that were baseless to me. I've travelled to UK, USA severally, still I was rejected on travel history!!, I have more than enough investment to prove my financial status, still was rejected based on that, I have a very strong family ties, still got rejected on that basis as well. I was furious but never relented. I reapplied with stronger SOP on June 15 and wrote a letter of appeal indicating my displeasure on my basis of rejection, repackaged my application with upfront medical and totally concluded that this time, any rejection will be totally based on sentiment. Lo n behold my visa was approved on Aug 26. I'm in Canada studying at Humber College now. Sometimes IRCC want you to reapply to test the genuinety of your purpose even when they know that you you over qualify for that visa. I'm over 40yrs with over 13yrs study gap. My daughter also applied in July for her uni undergraduate n it was approved . We're both here in Canada now.
Please help me with the sop on how you wrote it

Reactions: Maleek0007

Dspecial1

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
I have submitted my application on Sept 25 in Lagos and ever since then they didnt call me for medical or any update ......
.I applied in lagos vfs

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar, good job! This is a long one though, but it might help someone never to loose hope. I picked interest in responding to this particular post. Pls the mother should not loose hope n reapply. I have been out of school after my 1st degree in computer science from a Nigerian university (part time) for over 13yrs but I've been working for 20yrs in admin dept of my organisation. I decided to take my career further by applying for post grad. Studies in global buss mgnt at Humber College n I was admitted. I applied on March 12 for visa but got rejected on May 25 on reasons that were baseless to me. I've travelled to UK, USA severally, still I was rejected on travel history!!, I have more than enough investment to prove my financial status, still was rejected based on that, I have a very strong family ties, still got rejected on that basis as well. I was furious but never relented. I reapplied with stronger SOP on June 15 and wrote a letter of appeal indicating my displeasure on my basis of rejection, repackaged my application with upfront medical and totally concluded that this time, any rejection will be totally based on sentiment. Lo n behold my visa was approved on Aug 26. I'm in Canada studying at Humber College now. Sometimes IRCC want you to reapply to test the genuinety of your purpose even when they know that you you over qualify for that visa. I'm over 40yrs with over 13yrs study gap. My daughter also applied in July for her uni undergraduate n it was approved . We're both here in Canada now.
Dear Anikky_Law,

Congratulations on your success. I wish you the very best in Canada. I have several clients in that program (a few have graduated already), if you want I can give you their contacts, you may wish to get in touch with them and ask about the kind of fellow I am. Please note that your case is peculiar, it is an exception and not the norm, and I will explain why.

1. You appear to be what is referred to as an HNI (High Networth Individual). You've traveled internationally on several occasions, you have the financial muscle to support yourself, a lot of people here are relying on third party sponsors, which is not an illegal thing, but counts against them during the evaluation process. You also have extensive work experience that is in line with the program you are now applying for, you have also shown the source of your income. I dare say 80-90% of applicants on this forum do not have such a profile. Based on your profile which is not considered 'high risk' the VO is obliged to consider your application and waive other factors we consider for the general population.

2. You also emphasised my point that people can be refused for absolutely no basis. In a fair and just system, the embassy should not be requiring people to apply multiple times to 'test' the genuineness of their intentions. It is unfair and gross discrimination against their person. Folks from other countries are not treated the way Nigerians are treated not just by the Canadian embassy, but my most embassies around the world. Each individual application should be taken on a case by case basis. If the embassy has set out rules or a checklist for application and people meet and in several cases exceed the minimum criteria, it is only ethical and fair to approve their application and not make them apply a second time.

3. Have you heard of the SDS-Student Direct System? This is only opened to students applying from countries like India, Philippines etc. All they have to do is be able to wire $10,000CAD to a bank in Canada, the bank confirms that they have received the funds, they put their application together with the confirmation and submit, they get approved within 2-3weeks. Many Nigerian applicants have much more than that, have paid their tuition and are still refused. How is that not discriminatory or a broken system. Are they saying those Asian students do not have dual intentions too, that they will all happily return to their home countries upon completion of their programs? What is good for the goose should also be good for the gander.

4. Finally, how do you prove 'intent', does the VO have access to an applicant's mind? It is unfair to broadly classify or characterize the intents of a group of people because of the misbehavior of a few from that group? You will certainly agree with me that it is not. Canada is encouraging highly skilled migrants to move into the country, has put in place a system to retain international students who come and study in the country, so they become migrants, why do they then keep refusing genuine applications and citing that such applicants do not demonstrate that they have enough intention to return to their home country, when the study permit is, in fact, a 'dual intent' visa. Meaning, it is not illegal for applicants to have the intention to study and intention to migrate to Canada at the same time. However, if an application emphasizes the applicant's intention to study, a VO cannot at their own biased discretion assign another intention to the applicant without proof.

I am not asking anyone to give up, but for 80-90% of applicants, their best bet is to follow the guidelines I have put here, for the remaining 10-20% like yourself, I am indeed happy for you and wish you the very best in Canada.

Cheers

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok what about this,"AN AGENT WHO DID TOURIST VISA FOR ME WHICH WAS DENIED BECAUSE OF TRAVEL HISTORY,FILLED THE FORM FOR ME AS A STUDENT WITHOUT ME KNOWING ABOUT IT UNTIL I RECEIVED MY CASE FILE,NOW THAT I AM APPLYING FOR STUDY PERMIT,WILL THE VO GO DEEP DOWN TO THE OLD APPLICATION TO SEE THAT?the agent was so careless,I never went to the school he wrote,I will appreciate an advice
You have what is called a UCI (Unique Client Identifier). It is like an account number you already have with the embassy. Once they check your biometrics, every dealing you have had with the embassy will come up. The VO is obligated to go through all such history especially if it was a history of refusal. That will, therefore, be a consideration when assessing this current application. If the agent had been truthful to say that he filled out the wrong form in a previous application then you could have addressed this fact in the current application. To the VO it would appear you are trying to hide something and could count against your application. I can only suggest you wait for the final outcome.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dea|Mr Omafar, if I type your name correctly, please can I still apply for another PhD program after finishing, doctorate in Philippines or can I just apply for conferences or seminar to enter Canada, am from Nigeria but reside in Philippines, thanks
Hi Step_Hen,

Depending on your age, and work experience, there are two options for you upon completion of your PhD.

1. Apply for a post-doctoral position in Canada. By getting the post-doctoral position, it will not be subject to LMIA and so you will apply for a closed work permit which you will get. Once you work as a post-doctoral fellow for at least 2 years, you can then apply for your PR on the condition that you still have a job offer for another year. You will apply under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

2. Depending on your age, if you are less than 35, and have at least 3 years of working experience in a Skilled occupation 0, A, or B.. All you will need to do is take the IELTS, evaluate your credentials and apply for the EE.

Finally, it makes no sense, to do another PhD, imagine all the stress you gone through doing a PhD

Omofar

MAYANA2019

Sep 6, 2019
Canada study permit for Nigerians is pathetic as in they overlook our applications with mere eyes.......

My application took 3 to 4 months before passport request then after passport submission at Vfs on the 2nd of this month... I used Vfs Passport tracking to track my passport...
Tracking ID No???????????? Is still being reviewed by Canada visa office......
So passport stamping also takes time

Zubbydaniels

Oct 14, 2019
Hello Omofar
I applied for students permit on August and it was rejected based on These reasons:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of
residence.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status..

I requested a deferral from the school. And i was offered admission again. Please how do i Address these concerns in my new application ?

STEP_HEN

Oct 14, 2019
T
Hi Step_Hen,

Depending on your age, and work experience, there are two options for you upon completion of your PhD.

1. Apply for a post-doctoral position in Canada. By getting the post-doctoral position, it will not be subject to LMIA and so you will apply for a closed work permit which you will get. Once you work as a post-doctoral fellow for at least 2 years, you can then apply for your PR on the condition that you still have a job offer for another year. You will apply under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

2. Depending on your age, if you are less than 35, and have at least 3 years of working experience in a Skilled occupation 0, A, or B.. All you will need to do is take the IELTS, evaluate your credentials and apply for the EE.

Finally, it makes no sense, to do another PhD, imagine all the stress you gone through doing a PhD

Omofar
Thanks for your advice and hope if you can guide me through this process I will be grateful and how can I get i torch with you via private chat

fatasamz

Oct 23, 2019
Hi , I need your help. I'm nigerian and I applied for a canadian study permit from the Uk because I had a temporary brp. My application had not been replied so I had to defer my admission to january.My brp expired a week ago so I am now back in nigeria. I have contacted the embassy and told them of this update. It's been over 3 months but i still hadn't gotten any reply. I planned to withdraw my application and apply again from nigeria until yesterday when they updated my application to ''we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements''. I am now confused on what to do. Should I continue waiting?. I have also sent quite a few web forms to the embassy.

Dspecial1

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi , I need your help. I'm nigerian and I applied for a canadian study permit from the Uk because I had a temporary brp. My application had not been replied so I had to defer my admission to january.My brp expired a week ago so I am now back in nigeria. I have contacted the embassy and told them of this update. It's been over 3 months but i still hadn't gotten any reply. I planned to withdraw my application and apply again from nigeria until yesterday when they updated my application to ''we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements''. I am now confused on what to do. Should I continue waiting?. I have also sent quite a few web forms to the embassy.
You have to wait.How old are you?