+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application with my family

Jan 24, 2024
They asked me about total study cost for five years which is 50085 CAD (PhD)

what should I write at room and lodging for all study years if i am going with my husband and infant??

Then what are the available fund for stay in canada ? They mean for five years or just for one year ??
one year tuition and one year living expenses???

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

what should I write at room and lodging for all study years if i am going with my husband and infant??

Then what are the available fund for stay in canada ? They mean for five years or just for one year ??
What city will you be living in?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You need to show sufficient funds for one year of studies and living expenses. However IRCC will generally also want to understand how you will fund your future years of tuition and living expenses. So ideally you want to show savings well above the costs of your first year tuition and living expenses. IRCC expect you to show $20K in living expenses for single applicants. If you are coming with your spouse and child, you need to show more. I believe the guidance around that is $4K extra for the first dependent and an additional $3K for each additional dependent. So you'd want to show at least $27K but more is always better.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need to show sufficient funds for one year of studies and living expenses. However IRCC will generally also want to understand how you will fund your future years of tuition and living expenses. So ideally you want to show savings well above the costs of your first year tuition and living expenses. IRCC expect you to show $20K in living expenses for single applicants. If you are coming with your spouse and child, you need to show more. I believe the guidance around that is $4K extra for the first dependent and an additional $3K for each additional dependent. So you'd want to show at least $27K but more is always better.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3

Agree but POF for 3 is now $31k.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Tuition should I will write 50080 cad or 10000 cad ??
Living expenses 31600 cad
Fund will the sum of both =41600 cad
Except for Quebec funds needed for family is not a strict requirement like the 20k for the individual. The cost of living is very different depending on where you are located in Canada. It would be very difficult to live in 31k a year for a family with a child especially younger child where you have expenses like diapers and often formula until it is safe to transition to milk. Most do not breastfeed in Canada for multiple years. You likely need double the funds if not more to live in Vancouver versus Sydney Nova Scotia for example. For the primary applicant it is 1st year tuition plus 20k but also should have a source for future years of study. For example if funds are coming from an inheritance then there is a fixed amount of funds that will need to be used over the course of studies. If parents are working and are able to saving 30k a year then there is a source of ongoing funding going forward. In the case of more mature students who have their own families proof ongoing funds through things like teaching or being a TA is a guaranteed source of income typically for the duration of your PhD. If this is the case is should be part of the funding package for a PhD. In the case of masters and PhD students the amount of funding and chances of approval tend to be more flexible than for example a college diploma.

Jan 24, 2024
imm1294 forum
What should i write for tuition of study for year or all years ?
Expenses for year or all years ?
Fund available to stay =160995 cad for five years from college and 37000 CAD in my bank statement. ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hey guys. A question. So I live in Kenya and so does my mom but we don’t want to use the Kenyan bank account to show proof of funds even though the history is the best we want to move the funds to her South African bank account but problem is the South African doesn’t have good history. My question is if my mom is a Kenyan citizen can we still use a foreign bank account to show proof of funds? Or will they need to know why she has a personal account in a foreign country.
Lets start with why you want to use your mum's account? are high school graduate going to undergraduate studies?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys. A question. So I live in Kenya and so does my mom but we don’t want to use the Kenyan bank account to show proof of funds even though the history is the best we want to move the funds to her South African bank account but problem is the South African doesn’t have good history. My question is if my mom is a Kenyan citizen can we still use a foreign bank account to show proof of funds? Or will they need to know why she has a personal account in a foreign country.
[/QUOT

You should be showing both accounts

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have total fund 160995 CAD from the Alberta university for five years
And I have extra 37000 CAD in bank
Is it okay ?
Impossible to say since there is not set amount that will lead to approval. Does your spouse also plan on trying to work and what is their education and work history? You can also highlight her education work history and indicate that they will be trying to work will also hopefully add more funds. If they have skills that are in need in Canada even better. In general between your savings and the funding package from your university your finances appear strong enough to get approved. In general it is much harder to get denied a study permit as a PhD student versus other students.

Srattov112

Mar 2, 2024
Hi dodogumbabyful,

I have the same situation, we are 3 (including my 1 year old daughter) and the amount is about $31.500. I’m starting my MASc at University of Waterloo in September.

I don’t have all that money saved up and I don’t think I can save up that much in 6 months ( I will be selling all my furniture, car etc but it won’t be enough).

to keep the thread alive and hoping for a response, my situation is as follows:

1. I currently work and will maintain that salary for the 2 years of the program
2. I received a scholarship from the university to cover 75% of yearly tuition. This amount, after the first term will increase because of possible TA or RA options given by supervisor.
3. With these two conditions I’m able to cover the proof of funds but not up front ( since I won’t have the 31k)

Any suggestions for proof of funds?
I’ll add a letter explaining this situation with all my calculations of living expenses etc.