+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application was refused. Did visa officer commit an error? Request for reconsideration?

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Hi everyone. I got refused and received my GCMS notes today.

These were my refusal grounds:
1. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence
2. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on the purpose of your visit
3. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your immigration status

This is what my GCMS notes state:
PA is an Indian national working and residing in the Philippines seeking a SP to undergo a 2 year diploma degree in ECE. Partial tuition payment noted.

PA has been employed as a teacher in what appears to be an online school since 2016.

I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of their stay as a temporary resident. I note that the client is single, mobile, and has no dependents.

After considering the applicant's academic and professional history, their financial situation as well as their planned studies and explanation provided for it, I am not satisfied that the applicant is a genuine student who will pursue studies in Canada. The stated benefits of their intended studies do not seem to warrant the cost and difficulty of undertaking foreign education.

The applicant's immigration status in their country of residence is temporary, which reduces their ties to that country.

Weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will depart Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay.

---
Background info about me.
I was born and raised in the Philippines and have been a permanent resident of this country since I was a baby. I am 25 and have lived here with my family my whole life. In fact, I am eligible for Philippine citizenship but I chose not to take it as India doesn't recognize dual citizenship and I don't want to give that up. I am so confused as to why the visa officer said that my immigration status here in the Philippines is only temporary? I provided my and my family's Permanent Resident cards. Did they make a mistake?

Also, I stated in my SOP that my parents are senior citizens and I need to return to take care of them. Do they not count as dependents? I am only 25 so it's strange that they want young people in their country but fault us for being single and for not having kids.

I have no family in Canada and I actually provided more than the required funds so I don't understand why the cost of my education is a concern of theirs. I have been a teacher for years but don't have a teaching degree or license so I don't understand how my professional history did not satisfy them. I am not just taking some random program, it's relevant to my work history. I even enumerated some of the classes I'll be taking and how they would benefit me in the future.

I worked so hard and feel so hopeless I spent a year working on my application and I'm really not sure what to do. They assumed that my visa here is temporary which I feel has massively impacted my application. Should I raise a webform for reconsideration? Is it even worth it? What should I do? Please help me. :(

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
You are a PR in your current country of residence and notwithstanding the conditions of that residence, as you yourself observe that you are reluctant to apply for citizenship since your ancestral country doesn't allow dual citizenship, you cannot fault the VO for harbouring doubts about your ties back to your current location. Address that concern when you reapply. Parents are not really dependants in the way spouse and kids are, so yeah, some more work needed on your SOP to show the relevance of your proposed course of study back in Phillipines. How were your academics? Try and highlight your achievements to establish your bonafides as a student. Being young and mobile isn't a handicap if you can convince that you have the requisite academic chops.
Regarding finances, you have to justify that the cost of your studies makes financial sense vis a vis your current financial situation. It may not be enough to just demonstrate enough and more dollars to fund your program, but will it fetch a good return on investment is what the VO doubts.
So work for you on your SOP, you seem keen and motivated to succeed, so back to work and I am sure you will make it.
Good luck!