+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application, need your advice/input

Awaiter90

Jun 17, 2018
Hi everyone,
Hope you are all doing well.

I am a planning to apply for a study permit May 2024. I have thankfully just received my acceptance letter. I am now thinking of my next steps for visa application, I have listed below my circumstances:
- Tanzanian, living in Oman (applying to the Abu Dhabi visa office)
- Applying for a postgraduate certificate Seneca College, 1 year long with co-op term. The below are the dates listed on my acceptance letter, minus the co-op term.
Length of Program (YYYY/MM/DD)
Start date 2024/05/06 Completion date 2024/12/13

- I am currently working, work permit expires on 2nd May 2025, planning to mention this as proof of tie to country of resident, assuming I will have completed my program before said date of expiry.
- I will also add a letter from my employer showing that they are allowing me one year unpaid leave for the length of my study, hoping this proves as additional proof of tie to country of residence
- I will use my personal savings account as proof of funds amounting around 11,000 cad at time of application.
- I have previously been refused study permit due to status in country of residence and insufficient funds this was in 2018, I had just graduated at the time without a job and i was using my maternal uncle's account as proof of funds.
- I will be paying for the tuition fee for the full year.
- I won't be paying for the accommodation until I hopefully arrive in the country.

I have noticed some visa refusal on basis on insufficient funds even though they show more than the required 10k cad for solo student permit. Additionally, the length of the course seems to be less than the required 8 months for the 1 year study permit, will this be an issue or is the co-op term considered as part of the course length?
I would appreciate any input according to your previous info if my case is likely to receive an approval, if not, what would any of you suggest for me to do to increase my chances of approval.

Much appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
Hope you are all doing well.

I am a planning to apply for a study permit May 2024. I have thankfully just received my acceptance letter. I am now thinking of my next steps for visa application, I have listed below my circumstances:
- Tanzanian, living in Oman (applying to the Abu Dhabi visa office)
- Applying for a postgraduate certificate Seneca College, 1 year long with co-op term. The below are the dates listed on my acceptance letter, minus the co-op term.
Length of Program (YYYY/MM/DD)
Start date 2024/05/06 Completion date 2024/12/13

- I am currently working, work permit expires on 2nd May 2025, planning to mention this as proof of tie to country of resident, assuming I will have completed my program before said date of expiry.
- I will also add a letter from my employer showing that they are allowing me one year unpaid leave for the length of my study, hoping this proves as additional proof of tie to country of residence
- I will use my personal savings account as proof of funds amounting around 11,000 cad at time of application.
- I have previously been refused study permit due to status in country of residence and insufficient funds this was in 2018, I had just graduated at the time without a job and i was using my maternal uncle's account as proof of funds.
- I will be paying for the tuition fee for the full year.
- I won't be paying for the accommodation until I hopefully arrive in the country.

I have noticed some visa refusal on basis on insufficient funds even though they show more than the required 10k cad for solo student permit. Additionally, the length of the course seems to be less than the required 8 months for the 1 year study permit, will this be an issue or is the co-op term considered as part of the course length?
I would appreciate any input according to your previous info if my case is likely to receive an approval, if not, what would any of you suggest for me to do to increase my chances of approval.

Much appreciated.
1. Your proof of tie is Tanzania since your work permit will expire within 6 months of graduation. Look at getting work permit extended.
2. Letter of employer is not a tie due to work permit expiry. IRCC will be concerned you are not returning to Oman. Again show your ties to Tanzania. Ties are job, spouse/children, income properties, business, investments etc.
3. 11k is not a lot of money. It is the minimum amount. Is tuition paid for already? 11k may cover accommodations.
4. Show education and career advancement to justify costs. So if you have a job, the letter should include the increase in pay/promotion for taking the program. Also it should build on your education.
5. Program - what is the program that is only 8 months and includes co-op. You also need a co-op work permit.

Reactions: Awaiter90

Awaiter90

Jun 17, 2018
Firstly, thanks for your reply

1. I have a property in Tanzania under my name, do I add that as proof of tie? It is currently being rented out, do I have to show proof of tenancy? I can only get the work permit renewed earliest 3 months before expiry.
2. The only tie I have to Tanzania is the one property with tenants, otherwise no job and I am currently single with no kids.
3. I have not yet paid for tuition, but I plan to do so in November, and I will be paying the full tuition amount. How much do you suggest should be the minimum amount I should show after tuition is paid?
4. I have a BSc in IT majored in Cybersecurity. I will add the benefits the program I am planning to take on would add to current work position.
5. It is a cyber security management postgraduate certificate. So if I understand correctly, as I am applying for study permit I will also have to apply for the co-op?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Firstly, thanks for your reply

1. I have a property in Tanzania under my name, do I add that as proof of tie? It is currently being rented out, do I have to show proof of tenancy? I can only get the work permit renewed earliest 3 months before expiry.
2. The only tie I have to Tanzania is the one property with tenants, otherwise no job and I am currently single with no kids.
3. I have not yet paid for tuition, but I plan to do so in November, and I will be paying the full tuition amount. How much do you suggest should be the minimum amount I should show after tuition is paid?
4. I have a BSc in IT majored in Cybersecurity. I will add the benefits the program I am planning to take on would add to current work position.
5. It is a cyber security management postgraduate certificate. So if I understand correctly, as I am applying for study permit I will also have to apply for the co-op?
1/2. Ties are spouse/children, job. You can include it and show why it is a tie that you must move back to Tanzania following the program.
3. How are you paying for tuition if only have $11k in account. Living in Toronto - $20k. You can live in a bedroom with other people for under $1k.
4. If you have a degree in cybersecurity then why Canada to take another program in same area? You don’t have a work permit for your current position so IRCC may not consider it.
5. You need to apply for a co-op work permit too.