+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit AND Working Holiday Visa

d33na

Nov 19, 2013
Hello, my fiance holds a study permit valid until Sept 2014, but he is currently in-between programs and would like to work for the majority of next year. He would like to apply for the working holiday visa, but would he be allowed to hold both a study permit AND a work visa?
Thanks a bunch in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

d33na said:
Hello, my fiance holds a study permit valid until Sept 2014, but he is currently in-between programs and would like to work for the majority of next year. He would like to apply for the working holiday visa, but would he be allowed to hold both a study permit AND a work visa?
Thanks a bunch in advance!
1. No, students can only hold a study permit and an off campus work permit. If he received an IEC, it would have the condition, no study allow on it.
2. He could get an IEC and then when he wishes to return to school, apply for a new study permit.

Canada2014!

Jan 22, 2014
Hi there,

I've got another question regarding to your topic... :)

First, I want to explain my current situation: I arrived in September 2013 here in Canada from Germany and got my study permit at the border. Because my program for my stay contains a study and an internship, I received an open work permit as well, which was sponsored by the language school. As my internship started a few weeks ago, I realised that I also want to gain other work experience and travel a little. Therefore, I was wondering if I can apply for a working holiday visa under International Experience Canada (IEC). My study and work permit expire at the beginning of April and the IEC application process opened for German citizens.
Once I created my account for the IEC application I had to acknowledge "that IEC is not intended for persons who hold a study permit, persons who intend to apply for IEC participation and a study permit at the same time, or persons who intend to apply for a study permit while participating in IEC." Now I'm not quite sure if I'm allowed to apply because I'm holding a study permit right now. But I wouldn't have a study permit anymore to the time when I'd get my Working Holiday Visa.

Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate that.

Cheers,
Canada2014!

Broky

Oct 23, 2014
Hi Newbie,

did you find the answer to your question? I am in the same situation and have the same problem with my study permit which is going to expire at the time when I probably would like to apply for WH.

Could you be please so kind and post me if you will know something new?

Thanks.