+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and relatives in Canada

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
Hi everyone!

I am 28 y.o. Single, not married. Have masters degree in International relations back home, which I completed 6 years ago.

I have sister with her family and kids in Montreal(all Canadian citizens) and brother (RP) with wife (RP) and kids (kids are Canadian citizens) are in Toronto. Both my parents are back home, but possess valid Canadian visit visa.

My initial purpose is to immigrate to Canada and settle down there closer to my siblings. But all this time I have been working and didn’t have a chance to apply for one of the programs. When son of my brother was born I wanted to visit them during my short vacation, so since immigration process wouldn’t allow me to visit them in nearest future, I decided to apply for visit visa:

On July 2019 I applied via Abu Dhabi embassy, because currently I live in Qatar, which doesn’t have Canadian embassy. After 40 days I was rejected. They stated all the reasons possible: family boundaries, financial, I will not come back, etc. Yes I always had that immigration purpose, but at that particular timeframe I really just wanted to make a short visit to my newborn nephew. All my documents were there: right amount on bank account, invitation letter from brother, his bank account details, my personal letter stating the purpose of travel, I even attached my work schedule so they can see on which date I have to come back for work, etc, etc... Anyway, I was refused.

When I check immigration programs, most of them require job experience in NOC 0, A,B. Unfortunately, I have NOC C, which is mostly -roughly customer service. I don’t go for Atlantic immigration, as once they know I have siblings in Toronto/Montreal, they won’t believe my intention to settle down in Atlantic provinces (as per immigration consultant). So, won’t work.

Then I started thinking about immigration via studies:
1 year of studies in Canada—> apply for post graduate work permit—-> job experience for 1 year—->apply for PR via Canadian experience class or plenty other immigration programs, as Canadian degree will open the door to PR in many ways, but then I started browsing and I realized that having 1 refusal for Visa in past and having siblings in Canada prevent me from getting study permit 100%. Because as per they perspective, I have to prove them that I intend to return back from Canada. What if I have dual intentions? What even if I intent to come back after completion of studies, I am just simply lack of that experience in desirable field and I need it badly in order to be eligible for immigration programs like PNP, federal skilled worker, etc., etc. What’s wrong with it? Why not? But as I was explained, if I apply for study permit I have to prove my temporary visit there. Especially if it’s gonna be only 1 year studies in some college - I will look more suspicious in their eyes: having siblings there, first she applied for visit visa, we refused, now she wants to study there.... So, immigration via studies (even if I really have that genuine goal to obtain knowledge in desirable field) IS ALSO RISKY FOR ME: they simply can refuse me a study permit. I was advised
to apply for masters degree, as it will give me more chances to get study permit, but I am sorry I can’t afford 25000$ (minimum cost of MA) and also
I have to have GMAT/GRE for applying
for MA. Programs in college don’t require that and they are twice cheaper.

So, please kindly help me with your experience, advices on what should I do. I am totally confused and devastated right now, because I understand that having siblings in Canada is an asset from immigration perspective, but I don’t have desirable job experience to apply for it, and on the other hand, having siblings in Canada is a disadvantage if I want to study there..

I know, no risk, no reward, but I can’t risk to get another refusal in visa, study permit, whatever it be, because they record everything associated with our names.. So I don’t want to have a bad history. That’s why my approach is very well-considered before any steps..

Thanking you in advance!

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
If you're going to take a study for the sake of education, then why would you travel halfway across the world and incur such big expenses for little or no gain as you already have a master's degree? If your goal is education and experience, there are cheaper and better places to go than Canada. This will be from the visa officer's point of view.

Of course no matter what you try, it willl already look as if you're trying to stay and not return home after your studies.

If you want to immigrate, don't take shortcuts, apply for express entry and improve your score in other ways, like taking a PhD from your home country or learn french

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
If you're going to take a study for the sake of education, then why would you travel halfway across the world and incur such big expenses for little or no gain as you already have a master's degree? If your goal is education and experience, there are cheaper and better places to go than Canada. This will be from the visa officer's point of view.

Of course no matter what you try, it willl already look as if you're trying to stay and not return home after your studies.

If you want to immigrate, don't take shortcuts, apply for express entry and improve your score in other ways, like taking a PhD from your home country or learn french
Thx for your advice,
However as I mentioned before I don’t hide the fact that I have dual intentions, and I don’t see anything criminal in this. Yes, I really want study there because:
1) I can save money by staying at my siblings’ place rather than pay for rent/dormitory

2) I have a chance to see them and be by their side

I just don’t see anything criminal on that

and yes, main goals:

1)after completion of studies and obtaining Canadian education, I will be eligible to apply for immigration programs (to settle down specifically in Ontario)

2) Finally, obtaining foreign diploma/certificate rather than domestic increase my chances of getting employed even in my country

3) I don’t like my previous education and don’t want to work in that field, so it’s great chance to change specialty and future career

4) Canadian education is cheaper than European and American

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hello, I would like to shed some light on your situation. Even though you save money by living with your family it doesn't rule out the fact that you are still spending a lot of money, also considering that you will have to go for a Masters program. Secondly, the officer could look at your past refusal and think you are trying to enter Canada through a different option. You could still apply for a program of study and obtain a Study Visa but that could result in a refusal and you would have to hire a lawyer to make a federal appeal. In my opinion, this route is not the best one for you. It's easier to immigrate to Atlantic Canada considering your NOC Code and they won't refuse your case any ground since you will be immigrating to Canada and there is no question of overstay. After you immigrate you can enjoy student benefits as a PR if you would like.

Reactions: Jikulya

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thx for your advice,
However as I mentioned before I don’t hide the fact that I have dual intentions, and I don’t see anything criminal in this. Yes, I really want study there because:
1) I can save money by staying at my siblings’ place rather than pay for rent/dormitory

and yes, main goals:

1)after completion of studies and obtaining Canadian education, I will be eligible to apply for immigration programs (to settle down specifically in Ontario)

2) Finally, obtaining foreign diploma/certificate rather than domestic increase my chances of getting employed even in my country

3) I don’t like my previous education and don’t want to work in that field, so it’s great chance to change specialty and future career

It has nothing to do with being criminal or not. The visa officers will review your application and make the decision based on what information he has.

If you want an education, there are better and cheaper places to go. So your motivation to apply for a study permit is not well supported by your documents.

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
It has nothing to do with being criminal or not. The visa officers will review your application and make the decision based on what information he has.

If you want an education, there are better and cheaper places to go. So your motivation to apply for a study permit is not well supported by your documents.
Thank you.

FYI

MA in Canada ~ 18000 USD
Europe ~ 25000 USD
US ~ 25000 USD

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
Hello, I would like to shed some light on your situation. Even though you save money by living with your family it doesn't rule out the fact that you are still spending a lot of money, also considering that you will have to go for a Masters program. Secondly, the officer could look at your past refusal and think you are trying to enter Canada through a different option. You could still apply for a program of study and obtain a Study Visa but that could result in a refusal and you would have to hire a lawyer to make a federal appeal. In my opinion, this route is not the best one for you. It's easier to immigrate to Atlantic Canada considering your NOC Code and they won't refuse your case any ground since you will be immigrating to Canada and there is no question of overstay. After you immigrate you can enjoy student benefits as a PR if you would like.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I started giving up on immigration via studies.. as all my thoughts match with yours...

But the main point in Atlantic immigration program is that I have to show my intention of my long-term stay and further settling down in Atlantic provinces only..

Wont that be an also problem for me to prove it having siblings in the most popular provinces Ontario and Montreal?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thx for your advice,

and yes, main goals:

My recommendation: Pick a top school in Canada and get another Master's degree. Much lower chances of approval if you come here for a diploma. If you insist on applying for a diploma, it must be a post graduate diploma and make sure it's at least two years in length if you want to have a decent chance of traslating this into PR.

Make sure you can show you have enough money in savings to cover first year tuition + $10,000 in first year living expenses. IRCC will require you to show the $10K even if you plan to live with your siblings.

Good luck.

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Thank you very much for your reply.
I started giving up on immigration via studies.. as all my thoughts match with yours...

But the main point in Atlantic immigration program is that I have to show my intention of my long-term stay and further settling down in Atlantic provinces only..

Wont that be an also problem for me to prove it having siblings in the most popular provinces Ontario and Montreal?
That's true. You have to show long term immigration plan on hand for residency purposes. I just recollected that there has been a Quebec Immigration program which they recently started. I don't know anything about it expect the fact that it is directly for PR and you should have a valid job offer to immigrate and unlike other provinces you don't even have to prove a settlement plan. I would say research about it. could work in your favour.

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
My recommendation: Pick a top school in Canada and get another Master's degree. Much lower chances of approval if you come here for a diploma. If you insist on applying for a diploma, it must be a post graduate diploma and make sure it's at least two years in length if you want to have a decent chance of traslating this into PR.

Make sure you can show you have enough money in savings to cover first year tuition + $10,000 in first year living expenses. IRCC will require you to show the $10K even if you plan to live with your siblings.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your reply. Yeah, actually I was also told by immigration consultant to take 2 year program in order to back up yourself and show your real intention to study, not to migrate. But I don’t have time for 2 years study, plus it’s double price for another academic year..

I heard ppl are rejected for study permit even after they fully paid for their Tuition fees...

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
That's true. You have to show long term immigration plan on hand for residency purposes. I just recollected that there has been a Quebec Immigration program which they recently started. I don't know anything about it expect the fact that it is directly for PR and you should have a valid job offer to immigrate and unlike other provinces you don't even have to prove a settlement plan. I would say research about it. could work in your favour.
Yeah, do u mean under Montreal PNP called “regular skilled worker”?
Yes, as u can see I included this program as possible in my initial post, but:
1) I don’t have French, not taking about French test certificate, but priority is given to French rather than English ✖
2) Should be minimum 5 years of experience in Noc 0,A,B,C ✔

Is it the one where I have to fill expression of interest which is valid for 1 year, during which I have to get an invitation?
Hm...

Good option though

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for your reply. Yeah, actually I was also told by immigration consultant to take 2 year program in order to back up yourself and show your real intention to study, not to migrate. But I don’t have time for 2 years study, plus it’s double price for another academic year..

I heard ppl are rejected for study permit even after they fully paid for their Tuition fees...
Yes - you can certainly be refused even after fully paying your tuition fees. This happens all fo the time. Paying your tuition fees by no means guarantees approval.

Jikulya

Apr 25, 2020
MA in Germany is 0 USD not 25000 USD

And why on earth would you cherry pick Europe and US? There are countries other than the continent and US you mentioned.
If you check properly, Bachelors and PHD in Germany is 0 USD, but Masters is around 25000$, if u didn’t get your Bachelors degree in Germany and came from another country just for masters like me..

Ok, tell me, which are other ENGLISH SPEAKING countries on Earth?

unfortunately, I only can speak one foreign language which is ENGLISH. That’s why

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you check properly, Bachelors and PHD in Germany is 0 USD, but Masters is around 25000$, if u didn’t get your Bachelors degree in Germany and came from another country just for masters like me..

unfortunately, I only can speak one foreign language which is ENGLISH. That’s why
Is really a serious question or just sarcasm ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_English_is_an_official_language