+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and moving with a child

donovanjames

Jun 3, 2019
Oregon
Hey All,

I’m moving to Victoria with my family this summer to attend UVic on a study permit. My daughter is 4 and I have no idea if she needs a visa or not. I was told by UVic’s Int’l Studies that she just needs “visitor status,” as she is obviously not old enough to work nor study, but IDK what that means and they won’t clarify. On the visa questionnaire, it won’t let me proceed with using “visitor - travel” or “visitor - other” for her reason for coming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey All,

I’m moving to Victoria with my family this summer to attend UVic on a study permit. My daughter is 4 and I have no idea if she needs a visa or not. I was told by UVic’s Int’l Studies that she just needs “visitor status,” as she is obviously not old enough to work nor study, but IDK what that means and they won’t clarify. On the visa questionnaire, it won’t let me proceed with using “visitor - travel” or “visitor - other” for her reason for coming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
She will need either a TRV or ETA. Can't tell you which without knowing where you are from.

Reactions: donovanjames

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you need a TRV it would be TRV-other. You would also want the visitor record to match the end of your study permit. Something to remember when you land. Not too young to study there is junior kindergarten but only need a TRV for that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the info! I’m from Oregon, USA and I will be in Canada for 2.5 years.
In that case she can enter Canada as a tourist using her passport only. You will need to apply to extend her status every six months to keep her visitor status valid in Canada. Make sure you remember to do this. We've seen a few cases here recently where people have brought young children to Canada under similar circumstances and then forgotten to extend their status as required (making it difficult to get health care coverage for the child, go to school, etc.).

donovanjames

Jun 3, 2019
Oregon
In that case she can enter Canada as a tourist using her passport only. You will need to apply to extend her status every six months to keep her visitor status valid in Canada. Make sure you remember to do this. We've seen a few cases here recently where people have brought young children to Canada under similar circumstances and then forgotten to extend their status as required (making it difficult to get health care coverage for the child, go to school, etc.).
So the TRV and visitor record aren’t required if she has a passport? Then do we just omit her from our visa apps? I did mention my situation in my letter of explanation for my own study permit visa app. Thanks again!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So the TRV and visitor record aren’t required if she has a passport? Then do we just omit her from our visa apps? I did mention my situation in my letter of explanation for my own study permit visa app. Thanks again!
US citizens don't need a TRV or an ETA to enter Canada. You can omit her from your visa application - well, obviously you will say that you have a daughter in the Family Information form, but you don't need to apply for a visa for her separately.