+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and getting married

kanu

Feb 26, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello helpful people,

I have a friend who is going to take Jan intake and she wants to marry before going to Canada and take her spouse with her.
Please can anyone confirm few things:

1. will it be ok to not get the spouse name endorsed on the Indian passport?
2. will there be an issue if the marriage happens after my friend get the student visa? or is it wise to get it done before applying for student visa?

I request to please give some insights on this.
Thank you for everything. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello helpful people,

I have a friend who is going to take Jan intake and she wants to marry before going to Canada and take her spouse with her.

2. will there be an issue if the marriage happens after my friend get the student visa? or is it wise to get it done before applying for student visa?

1. They don't need the spouse name in the passport.

2. No issue if they marry after.

Reactions: kanu

Fdroid

May 29, 2019
@canuck_in_uk
I am a Permanent Resident currently living in Canada and any my fiancée is planning to come here to study. We also plan on getting married either in January or June (2020) depending on the option we go with.

I have three options in mind and would like your opinion on which one's more ideal in terms of IRCC rules and regulations:

1. She applies and obtains a Student Visa as a single (unmarried) person, and before she moves here we get married (June 2020). Would she face any problems on her arrival at the airport as her status changed to married and did not update IRCC about it? and also afterwards (when I apply for the Spousal Sponsorship for her after landing)? -- **Preferred Option**

2. We get married first (January 2020) and then she applies for the Student Visa. What are her chances of getting the student visa as she'd be married to a Canadian PR at the time of application as they might think she's just trying to get into Canada without waiting for Sponsorship?

3. Shall I just apply for the spousal sponsorship right away after getting married (January 2020) and do not apply student visa for her at all (Only problem with this is long processing times for sponsorship which can also possibly make her miss out on the 2019-20 academic year which she doesn't want to)

Please suggest the best course of action here and which option is more suitable for us or if you have anything else in mind that'd be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk
I am a Permanent Resident currently living in Canada and any my fiancée is planning to come here to study. We also plan on getting married either in January or June (2020) depending on the option we go with.

I have three options in mind and would like your opinion on which one's more ideal in terms of IRCC rules and regulations:

1. She applies and obtains a Student Visa as a single (unmarried) person, and before she moves here we get married (June 2020). Would she face any problems on her arrival at the airport as her status changed to married and did not update IRCC about it? and also afterwards (when I apply for the Spousal Sponsorship for her after landing)? -- **Preferred Option**

2. We get married first (January 2020) and then she applies for the Student Visa. What are her chances of getting the student visa as she'd be married to a Canadian PR at the time of application as they might think she's just trying to get into Canada without waiting for Sponsorship?

3. Shall I just apply for the spousal sponsorship right away after getting married (January 2020) and do not apply student visa for her at all (Only problem with this is long processing times for sponsorship which can also possibly make her miss out on the 2019-20 academic year which she doesn't want to)

Please suggest the best course of action here and which option is more suitable for us or if you have anything else in mind that'd be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for your help!
If she wants to come here as a student, she should apply before marrying. There is nothing wrong with marrying after visa approval and she doesn't need to update IRCC. The fact that she is married to a Canadian PR may be a factor at the border when she enters as a student or it may not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would be much cheaper to get married now and apply to sponsor her and then attend school. You are looking at at least a year of international fees for option 1 and she will have to warn school if she is going to register as a PR in subsequent semesters. Admissions for internationals students tend to be more about money (not trying to offend anyone but it’s true) and therefore admission criteria tends to be lower.

Fdroid

May 29, 2019
Would be much cheaper to get married now and apply to sponsor her and then attend school. You are looking at at least a year of international fees for option 1 and she will have to warn school if she is going to register as a PR in subsequent semesters. Admissions for internationals students tend to be more about money (not trying to offend anyone but it’s true) and therefore admission criteria tends to be lower.
Yeah you’re right marrying first and then Sponsoring makes much more sense in terms of finances as there’d be no international student fees but as I said in my post earlier, it could cost her one year of time if the sponsorship application doesn’t come through in time before the school starts in September 2020 and would have to start school in September 2021.

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hello helpful people,

I saw a tread where someone was refused because they got marry after he received his student visa. If you are in common law relationship show proof...

Reactions: kanu

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I saw a tread where someone was refused because they got marry after he received his student visa. If you are in common law relationship show proof...
After student visa, the only opportunity to be "refused" anything is admission at the border, and that's relatively unlikely.