+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit accepted for my 13 year old, but intended School refused to accept it.

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
She is not entitled to free education until she is PR. There is no different visa to apply for. She has a study permit and then only way for her to attend a public or private school is to pay international fees. Fore example, for the Toronto District School Board it is $8k for the semester or $16k per year.
Finally, some information that makes sense. Thank you so much. I appreciate all the help. :)

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
That doesn’t mean you are entitled to free public schooling. Many provinces offer healthcare after AOR family sponsorship.
Oh really. I did not know that either. Do you think the school board would accept an AOR?
Or, is it solely for healthcare, depending on province?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh really. I did not know that either. Do you think the school board would accept an AOR?
Or, is it solely for healthcare, depending on province?
Very unlikely. If they have already flagged your file and said that your child does not qualify they will likely have to wait until they have PR. What documents did you provide to get a health card for your child? Was your Canadian partner listed as a parent om 5e health card application? Did you apply for a healthcare once you became common law? The only exception may be if you get an OWP and get a job working full-time then your child should qualify to study without having to pay.

Just to clarify what is your current status in Canada? Had you been living in Canada with your partner as a visitor for a year without your child or had you been in Canada on a work or study permit? Did you apply for inland sponsorship?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Suprised that your child qualified for healthcare because they are not the child of a Canadian or PR. They are your child and the Canadian is their stepparent. Based on elligibility requirements I think your child got healthcare by accident.
They probably got approved for AHS at one of those Alberta Registration Offices that are privately run and sell fishing &
hunting licenses side by side with AHS registrations
You can find them in strip malls EVERYWHERE
Think some also sell booze

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Alberta usually give healthcare to any student or work permit, temporary visit as well that is why the kid got AHS. But not the case with education board.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Alberta usually give healthcare to any student or work permit, temporary visit as well that is why the kid got AHS. But not the case with education board.
She only recently received the study permit so it really depends on when they got AHS. Could be due to the study permit although normally enrolment papers must be shown or there was some confusion because the mother qualified as the spouse of a Canadian or PR and incorrectly gave it to the child as well not realizing it was a stepparent.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
She only recently received the study permit so it really depends on when they got AHS. Could be due to the study permit although normally enrolment papers must be shown or there was some confusion because the mother qualified as the spouse of a Canadian or PR and incorrectly gave it to the child as well not realizing it was a stepparent.
Could be a silly person's mistake.