+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit accepted for my 13 year old, but intended School refused to accept it.

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
Hi there.
I am after some help. It is a long story, but I will cut it short.
My 13 year old Daughter obtained a Study Permit to be able to gain an education here in Canada. But, the Study Permit was refused by the School Division & I am having difficulty in understanding why. When I questioned the refusal, all they said was that the document wasn’t “sufficient” enough. Now, I am left confused, my Daughter is missing out on crucial education & social health, and I don’t know where I go from here….

Many thanks!
Michelle.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there.
I am after some help. It is a long story, but I will cut it short.
My 13 year old Daughter obtained a Study Permit to be able to gain an education here in Canada. But, the Study Permit was refused by the School Division & I am having difficulty in understanding why. When I questioned the refusal, all they said was that the document wasn’t “sufficient” enough. Now, I am left confused, my Daughter is missing out on crucial education & social health, and I don’t know where I go from here….

Many thanks!
Michelle.
So she received a study visa while outside of Canada, then entered Canada and was given a study permit?

If so, I don't think any of us can help you or guess what the problem is. You need to talk to the School Division.

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
No, we had already entered Canada & we were unaware that she needed the Study Permit.
She was originally accepted in to the School back in September 2022, then after 4 weeks of schooling, they contacted me & explained she could no longer attend due to no status.

I looked in to this further & was advised to obtain a Study Permit for her, under my Visitor Visa extension. Which was granted. I took the documents to the School, where, yet again, she was accepted & told she could attend again.
Only, on the day I was told to take her in, I received a call from the School Division stating that the documents weren’t enough for her to re attend.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, we had already entered Canada & we were unaware that she needed the Study Permit.
She was originally accepted in to the School back in September 2022, then after 4 weeks of schooling, they contacted me & explained she could no longer attend due to no status.

I looked in to this further & was advised to obtain a Study Permit for her, under my Visitor Visa extension. Which was granted. I took the documents to the School, where, yet again, she was accepted & told she could attend again.
Only, on the day I was told to take her in, I received a call from the School Division stating that the documents weren’t enough for her to re attend.
So what is your status in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
So you are a visitor? If so she needs to pay international fees. She is not entitled to free education. You have no status as a worker or student to have your child attend public schools.
Oh, I did not know that. Why was she granted the Study Permit under my application? This is all so new & confusing to me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh, I did not know that. Why was she granted the Study Permit under my application? This is all so new & confusing to me.
Because you applied for a study permit for her, and you as her guardian. Minors can apply for a study permit and attend as international students. She isn’t eligible to attend school for free. Contact the school and ask to pay international fees if you want her to attend school. Depending on the school board, it will be between $10-20k per year. The school board did nothing wrong.

chelle020887

Jan 13, 2023
Because you applied for a study permit for her, and you as her guardian. Minors can apply for a study permit and attend as international students. She isn’t eligible to attend school for free. Contact the school and ask to pay international fees if you want her to attend school. Depending on the school board, it will be between $10-20k per year. The school board did nothing wrong.
Ah right! That makes sense. In other words, the Study Permit allows her to study in Canada, but not for free? I understand it now.
I am assuming if I applied for a different Visa, she may be entitled to free public education? I really do not have between $10-20k, unfortunately.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ah right! That makes sense. In other words, the Study Permit allows her to study in Canada, but not for free? I understand it now.
I am assuming if I applied for a different Visa, she may be entitled to free public education? I really do not have between $10-20k, unfortunately.
She is not entitled to free education until she is PR. There is no different visa to apply for. She has a study permit and then only way for her to attend a public or private school is to pay international fees. Fore example, for the Toronto District School Board it is $8k for the semester or $16k per year.