+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit 8 weeks no update

newlife20189

May 30, 2018
Hi All,

I am F-1 OPT international student who's currently in USA. I got a master degree offer for September 2018, and applied the study permit online on April 8th. So far, there is no new update on the status, and it has been 8 weeks. I contacted Los Angeles office regarding to the situation with an email, but I have not received any replies from the office.

I am planning to return to my home country for the Summer after I move my belongings to new school. Does anyone know how long the study permit process would take? The government website states the processing time was shortened from 6 weeks to 4 weeks for applicants from USA, but still nothing for my case. I am lost in this progress. :(

sbee

May 8, 2018
Hi All,

I am F-1 OPT international student who's currently in USA. I got a master degree offer for September 2018, and applied the study permit online on April 8th. So far, there is no new update on the status, and it has been 8 weeks. I contacted Los Angeles office regarding to the situation with an email, but I have not received any replies from the office.

I am planning to return to my home country for the Summer after I move my belongings to new school. Does anyone know how long the study permit
Hi All,

Hey, I too have applied since 29th March. I have completed 9 weeks already. So I guess there's no definitive time for the response.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Same here. F1 OPT student from Germany. But my application got there on May 8. Where are you guys from? I heard that it can take longer for international applicants.

sbee

May 8, 2018
Same here. F1 OPT student from Germany. But my application got there on May 8. Where are you guys from? I heard that it can take longer for international applicants.
From Tanzania man. Processing time stated 6 weeks.

newlife20189

May 30, 2018
Really? I received an email stating my application is still in queue while i have been waiting over 2 months for this online application. I am very unhappy now.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Really? I received an email stating my application is still in queue while i have been waiting over 2 months for this online application. I am very unhappy now.
Did you file a case specific request? I don’t know much about this, but it might be more helpful than just contacting them since their Facebook page also states that they are working on cases from the end of April and the beginning of May.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you file a case specific request? I don’t know much about this, but it might be more helpful than just contacting them since their Facebook page also states that they are working on cases from the end of April and the beginning of May.
Your situation is a bit different. Until your criminal rehab issue is figured your study permit is on hold so your timeline will likely be different than other students.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Your situation is a bit different. Until your criminal rehab issue is figured your study permit is on hold so your timeline will likely be different than other students.
I know that but the user above does not have that issue I assume. I don't expect to hear back until August at least.

newlife20189

May 30, 2018
Yes, I just filed an online inquiry last week, but nothing so far. I apply from USA. My current status is going to expire in June. This is why I am so worried, I do not want get into grace period and still get nothing. If so, it would a very hard situation for me. I trusted the online processing time, and I was assuming I would get an reply after 4-6 weeks, it turned out I was wrong.

newlife20189

May 30, 2018
Just an update for you, since you are in the similar situation. I was told by IRCC in Canada twice (I called them), was told the study permit online application will be handled by LA office USA ( since I am in USA) not IRCC. On the other hand, LA office told me they only stamp visa on passport, and they do not make decision. o_O What's going on here.

Eva94

Feb 23, 2018
Hi All,

I am planning to return to my home country for the Summer after I move my belongings to new school. Does anyone know how long the study permit process would take? The government website states the processing time was shortened from 6 weeks to 4 weeks for applicants from USA, but still nothing for my case. I am lost in this progress. :(
I am in the same situation as yours. I applied on April 4th and haven't heard anything from them. I am just starting my OPT

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Just an update for you, since you are in the similar situation. I was told by IRCC in Canada twice (I called them), was told the study permit online application will be handled by LA office USA ( since I am in USA) not IRCC. On the other hand, LA office told me they only stamp visa on passport, and they do not make decision. o_O What's going on here.
I don’t quite understand the differences but I know for sure that the Canadian consulate on Hope St will make all these decisions.

Their Facebook page states that they are working on applications received in mid May...

newlife20189

May 30, 2018
I don’t quite understand the differences but I know for sure that the Canadian consulate on Hope St will make all these decisions.

Their Facebook page states that they are working on applications received in mid May...
...if so, no one is checking our applications... lol do they forget ours!

I am pretty sure I called hope st at (213) 346-2700. They told me they do not make decisions on online applications, and refused to help me on my case