+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Extension approved but Visitor extension processing: Can I leave Canada?

2nose

Star Member
Mar 8, 2016
Hello,

My study permit extension is approved but my visitor visa extension is still pending: current processing times mean that I likely won't receive a decision until December at the earliest.

My father booked me a flight home to Moscow in December for the holidays, and I am worried that my visitor extension will not be approved in time for my return to Canada. If my visit extension is still processing when it is time to return to Canada, will I be allowed to board the plane (and pass through customs) with my study permit and proof of my processing extension? In other words, will I be allowed to return to Canada on implied visitor status?

Thank you so much.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

My study permit extension is approved but my visitor visa extension is still pending: current processing times mean that I likely won't receive a decision until December at the earliest.

My father booked me a flight home to Moscow in December for the holidays, and I am worried that my visitor extension will not be approved in time for my return to Canada. If my visit extension is still processing when it is time to return to Canada, will I be allowed to board the plane (and pass through customs) with my study permit and proof of my processing extension? In other words, will I be allowed to return to Canada on implied visitor status?

Thank you so much.
You need a valid TRV to fly back to Canada. You won't have Implied Status. You will have status as a student.

Why did you apply for a visitor extension? Or are you referring to a TRV app?

2nose

Star Member
Mar 8, 2016
You need a valid TRV to fly back to Canada. You won't have Implied Status. You will have status as a student.

Why did you apply for a visitor extension? Or are you referring to a TRV app?
Thanks for your reply.

I completed school in Canada for the 2018-2019 year and wanted to remain and study for the 2019-2020 school year and so applied to extend both my study permit and visit visa (as a Russian). My study permit extension was already approved as mentioned but my visitor extension may not be decided until I am back in Russia for winter holidays. If a positive decision is made while I am home in Russia, will that be enough to return to Canada? Because I am in Russia I will not have the new visitor status in my passport (it will be mailed to my school in Canada). What do you think? The other option I am considering is just to apply for a new visit visa completely. A visitor extension takes over 100 days; a new visit visa takes 21 days. Maybe that is the better option to ensure that, in case my extension is not approved in time, I still have legal status as a visitor to re-enter Canada and resume my studies.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply.

I completed school in Canada for the 2018-2019 year and wanted to remain and study for the 2019-2020 school year and so applied to extend both my study permit and visit visa (as a Russian). My study permit extension was already approved as mentioned but my visitor extension may not be decided until I am back in Russia for winter holidays. If a positive decision is made while I am home in Russia, will that be enough to return to Canada? Because I am in Russia I will not have the new visitor status in my passport (it will be mailed to my school in Canada). What do you think? The other option I am considering is just to apply for a new visit visa completely. A visitor extension takes over 100 days; a new visit visa takes 21 days. Maybe that is the better option to ensure that, in case my extension is not approved in time, I still have legal status as a visitor to re-enter Canada and resume my studies.
Again, why did you apply for a visitor extension?? Visitor status is NOT a TRV. They are 2 entirely different things. You don't need visitor status, as you have valid status as a student.

Did you mean to apply for a TRV, the actual stamp in your passport?