+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study and work permit for refugee claimant

deezah

Jun 20, 2020
hi guys, uhh my family and I moved here as refugee claimants in 2018, we're still in the process of getting our status. I have a work permit which is going to end next week, I graduated high school last year and applied to a post-secondary institution. There's a part where it says I can't study with my work permit on the permit, so I applied for a study permit in January and now due to the COVID-19 situation, there's been a delay in the process and I haven't gotten my study permit yet, I started school last month( I was so lucky because the school I applied to let me pay domestic fees since I've lived in the city for over a year) but now I need to work again and I know I can't extend the work permit I have because I can't study with that, is there a way I can work while waiting for my study permit?
I know the issue is kind of complicated but if you can help, please let me know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi guys, uhh my family and I moved here as refugee claimants in 2018, we're still in the process of getting our status. I have a work permit which is going to end next week, I graduated high school last year and applied to a post-secondary institution. There's a part where it says I can't study with my work permit on the permit, so I applied for a study permit in January and now due to the COVID-19 situation, there's been a delay in the process and I haven't gotten my study permit yet, I started school last month( I was so lucky because the school I applied to let me pay domestic fees since I've lived in the city for over a year) but now I need to work again and I know I can't extend the work permit I have because I can't study with that, is there a way I can work while waiting for my study permit?
I know the issue is kind of complicated but if you can help, please let me know.
You must stop school ASAP since you are attending school without a study permit.

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
You must stop school ASAP since you are attending school without a study permit.
Agree with this.

I'd also worry about the school and its credentials. I mean, all proper schools would have asked and ensured you have a valid study permit before allowing you to enroll.

deezah

Jun 20, 2020
Agree with this.

I'd also worry about the school and its credentials. I mean, all proper schools would have asked and ensured you have a valid study permit before allowing you to enroll.
Yeah they asked for my documents, went over it and said I was gonna pay domestic fees because I’ve been residing in the city for over a year

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What about work? My work permit ends next week, so I gotta wait for my study permit to be able to work again too?
Can’t stress this enough you are studying without a legal permit you must stop studying ASAP. You can renew your work permit before it expires and have implied status. Your school must be unaware that you don’t have a study permit. If they knew that you didn’t have a permit they wouldn’t have let you attend. You can work but until you have a study permit you CAN’T study.

deezah

Jun 20, 2020
Can’t stress this enough you are studying without a legal permit you must stop studying ASAP. You can renew your work permit before it expires and have implied status. Your school must be unaware that you don’t have a study permit. If they knew that you didn’t have a permit they wouldn’t have let you attend. You can work but until you have a study permit you CAN’T study.
Ohh, I understand. I’ll do that ASAP. Thanks for helping

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
I applied for my open work permit and within a week they accepted all the documents and sent me a approval letter which states that my work permit will be mailed to me! This was fast. I think they have started processing applications and finishing them quicker.

Applied on June 15th 2020
Received correspondence on 18th June 2020
Decision Made and Work Permit mailed on 20th June 2020

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
About your situation, you should wait for your study permit because you can not study in any program longer than 4 months without a valid study permit. Secondly, in terms of your work permit. It will be processed within a week or two like mine (hopefully) if not, then you'd be eligible under ontario works for the time being, however do not work without a permit.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Yeah they asked for my documents, went over it and said I was gonna pay domestic fees because I’ve been residing in the city for over a year
which is why the school worries me. If they checked your documents and IF they are AWARE that you do NOT have a study permit, why would they let you enroll? No proper school should be doing that. Also, domestic fees have nothing to do with how long you've been residing in the city, it has to do with your status in Canada.