+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Work Permit

Matrix1980

Star Member
May 26, 2010
Hi, my studies will start on September. Can i apply for a work permit while i am not in Canada ?
The point is i want to enter Canada and search for a job directly without wasting time applying for a work permit from there.

Thank you.

P

pniroula

Matrix1980 said:
Hi, my studies will start on September. Can i apply for a work permit while i am not in Canada ?
The point is i want to enter Canada and search for a job directly without wasting time applying for a work permit from there.

Thank you.
Congrats on receiving your study permit.
If you want to work on-campus you can start working as soon as you get job on campus when you arrive in Canada

You can only apply off-campus work permit when you are in Canada and you must stay in Canada for min 6 months to eligible for off-campus work permit. That means you are expected to apply only after Feb 2011. To qualify, you must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
Here is the details
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus-who.asp
All the best!

vibez_well

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ, HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
AOR Received.
Jul 2011
You can work on campus for the 1st 6 months. however, its not easy to get on-campus jobs. There is usually a big waiting list. I've also been told that these jobs are 1st offered to students who perform well in studies..

So if ur grades are low, then its unlikely that you would be assigned any. any one else who has info on this, may pls correct me.

So, consider enough funds to support yourself for the 1st 6 months. All the best.. :)