+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa with family.

Mar 10, 2021
Hey all,

I'm about to apply for my study permit and i want to bring my spouse and son along with me. I've already paid my tuition fees in full, but im confused about the payment of GIC. I know I have to show 10000 CAD for myself as student plus 4000 for a family member plus another 3000 CAD for addtional family member as proof of funds. I'm confused about how much to pay/deposit as GIC.
Do I pay/deposit 10000 CAD as GIC to the bank? and show the remaining 7000 CAD in my account? or do i have to pay/deposit 17000 CAD in total?

If i have to pay deposit 17000 CAD, would it have to be all together in one account? Or can i deposit 10000 CAD first and then add on 7000CAD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mnt

Nov 18, 2021
To be eligible for SDS you must deposit 10,000 CAD, that's it. Any additional amount you put isn't going to be invested and will just sit on the account. You'll have to prove that you have additional funds in your local account but it's not mandatory to put on the GIC, that's up to you.
And it's really not advisable to put everything on the GIC as you may have some trouble opening your account and using that money when you arrive in Canada, and that's precisely the moment you most need the money to buy your furniture, taking care of rent, groceries, etc.
About the 17,000 CAD with 2 deposits, that depends on the bank but most of them won't accept 2 payments, just one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey all,

I'm about to apply for my study permit and i want to bring my spouse and son along with me. I've already paid my tuition fees in full, but im confused about the payment of GIC. I know I have to show 10000 CAD for myself as student plus 4000 for a family member plus another 3000 CAD for addtional family member as proof of funds. I'm confused about how much to pay/deposit as GIC.
Do I pay/deposit 10000 CAD as GIC to the bank? and show the remaining 7000 CAD in my account? or do i have to pay/deposit 17000 CAD in total?

If i have to pay deposit 17000 CAD, would it have to be all together in one account? Or can i deposit 10000 CAD first and then add on 7000CAD?

Any help would be appreciated.
Are you applying to study in Quebec?

Mar 10, 2021
To be eligible for SDS you must deposit 10,000 CAD, that's it. Any additional amount you put isn't going to be invested and will just sit on the account. You'll have to prove that you have additional funds in your local account but it's not mandatory to put on the GIC, that's up to you.
And it's really not advisable to put everything on the GIC as you may have some trouble opening your account and using that money when you arrive in Canada, and that's precisely the moment you most need the money to buy your furniture, taking care of rent, groceries, etc.
About the 17,000 CAD with 2 deposits, that depends on the bank but most of them won't accept 2 payments, just one.

Yes, that's what I was worried about. If i put everything GIC how will I pay for other stuff.

I'm relieved. Thank you so much for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm applying to institutes in Winnipeg.
The amount required is only for Quebec. The rest of Canada doesn’t have a fixed amount but probably requires proof of more savings because the numbers from Quebec are not very realistic. The 10k for living expenses is not realistic for most of Canada either.

Mar 10, 2021
The amount required is only for Quebec. The rest of Canada doesn’t have a fixed amount but probably requires proof of more savings because the numbers from Quebec are not very realistic. The 10k for living expenses is not realistic for most of Canada either.

I agree, it's not realistic at all. I was confused as to whether I would need to deposit the rest (the amount above 10k) towards GIC or show it in my account.

Thank you for your help

Ulfat Ali

Aug 17, 2022
You must deposit the 10k in a gic
Hi Members,

I am going to apply for a study permit with my husband and a 9-month-old baby, and I am very confused about GIC as per the IRCC. 10K for the student, 4K for the first family member, and 3K for the second. Can someone please advise what I should do for GIC? Should I go for 10K or 17K? I've heard and seen that UAE has the highest visa rejection rate, especially for family visas, so I'm just trying to strengthen my file.

Please share your opinions.

Thank You

Abdussalam Khan

Nov 13, 2022
Nowshera, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
11-08-2022
Med's Done....
15-08-2022
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2022
Hi Members,

I am going to apply for a study permit with my husband and a 9-month-old baby, and I am very confused about GIC as per the IRCC. 10K for the student, 4K for the first family member, and 3K for the second. Can someone please advise what I should do for GIC? Should I go for 10K or 17K? I've heard and seen that UAE has the highest visa rejection rate, especially for family visas, so I'm just trying to strengthen my file.

Please share your opinions.

Thank You
At least 17k in your case. You are required to show proof of funds for yourself, your spouse and each child. So it isn't strengthening your application, it is meeting a requirement.

Ulfat Ali

Aug 17, 2022
At least 17k in your case. You are required to show proof of funds for yourself, your spouse and each child. So it isn't strengthening your application, it is meeting a requirement.
So You are suggesting me to take 17K GIC right one certificate? or separate separate

fahadmemon55

Jan 17, 2023
Hi

Do you know on student visa , If I bring my family with me just to clear is public school is free?