+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa with Dependents

Jan 28, 2023
Dear community,

I am in the process of applying for a study visa for myself and my family (husband and three children aged 3.5, 7, and 8) to attend a university in Ontario. I have a few questions:

1. My husband plans to apply for an open work permit, but I am unsure what type of visa my children should apply for - study permit or visitor visa.
    • a) If they are applying for a study permit, is it mandatory to obtain a letter of acceptance from a school board?
    • b) If they apply for a visitor visa, will they have to exit Canada after the 6-month stay limit?
  2. I have been accepted into a public university in Ontario and I would like to send my children to public school. Are there any school fees required or are they free for my children?
Thank you for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear community,

I am in the process of applying for a study visa for myself and my family (husband and three children aged 3.5, 7, and 8) to attend a university in Ontario. I have a few questions:

1. My husband plans to apply for an open work permit, but I am unsure what type of visa my children should apply for - study permit or visitor visa.
    • a) If they are applying for a study permit, is it mandatory to obtain a letter of acceptance from a school board?
    • b) If they apply for a visitor visa, will they have to exit Canada after the 6-month stay limit?
  2. I have been accepted into a public university in Ontario and I would like to send my children to public school. Are there any school fees required or are they free for my children?
Thank you for your help.
1. Children should apply for study permits if you are planning on travelling when your youngest child is 4. Thru don’t need an admission letter. Specify they will be attending the local school. Study permits are now required by most visa officers even though it still says that TRVs are still acceptable. We have seen children be denied TRVs and told to apply for study permits.
2. There are no school fees but there are expenses associated with attending public school from technology, field trips, supplies, etc. The school day is shorter than a typical workday so childcare after school and/or before school is often required and that can be quite expensive. You will also have to show that you have significant extra savings to qualify to bring your family with you when you study in Canada. The cost of living for things like housing, transportation, food, etc. for a family of 5 is significant.

Jan 28, 2023
1. Children should apply for study permits if you are planning on travelling when your youngest child is 4. Thru don’t need an admission letter. Specify they will be attending the local school. Study permits are now required by most visa officers even though it still says that TRVs are still acceptable. We have seen children be denied TRVs and told to apply for study permits.
2. There are no school fees but there are expenses associated with attending public school from technology, field trips, supplies, etc. The school day is shorter than a typical workday so childcare after school and/or before school is often required and that can be quite expensive. You will also have to show that you have significant extra savings to qualify to bring your family with you when you study in Canada. The cost of living for things like housing, transportation, food, etc. for a family of 5 is significant.
I did some research also. But your words concluded it all.
Thankyou for perfect and concise reply.

Reactions: canuck78