STUDENT VISA - TOWARDS PGWP & PR

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
[size=10pt]Thanks partly to this forum's guidance I am now a landed immigrant (trying to wind up from my current job in Dubai). My younger bro is in Hyd India and now keen to move to Canada on his way to PR. Hence, I have been following the Intl Student forum very closely which has provided good insight. Many regular and senior posters have been great service here thus I am trying to get some guidance.

Background:
He has secured his B Com, from India - Osmania University (full time studies). His class XII was from CBSE, Delhi Board and X was from SSC (Andhra Board). The first IELTS score was 5.5 only hence he has taken a retest and results are awaited. He had a 50% score in B.com which is comparatively quite modest.

We are therefore less optimistic for a Masters degree admission. Hence now looking at any Business or Acccounting related 2 year PG course - hoping it would provide 3 year PGWP. I suppose any post secondary diploma would be highly unconvincing for visa purposes. Not sure what would a Bachelor's degree application weigh - i.e. if we were successful in earning some credits for a bachelors degree in any Uni and get to do a 2 or 3 years Bachelors degree. Will that have a better visa potential?

My worry includes visa officer's stance considering the applicants brother and family are PRs (hence roots back home etc). Leaves us with only Mom back in India - who I intend to unite in Toronto, with us asap anyway.

Province is completely open as well - just want to see him with us in Canada - progressing well on his studies and settling down in life.

I have tried to correspond with couple of colleges through an agent in Dubai - but the visa officer considerations are quite different here -hence the agents here do not comprehend the same concerns as I have observed on this forum for Indian applicants.

My questions are therefore:
- Which course / type of course is a better option?
- Which College OR
- Which Universities
- Any particular Province which from a PR perspective will be better

OR SHOULD I COMPLETELY ABANDON THIS ROUTE AND RATHER TRY ANY OTHER ROUTE - with potentially advantage from my PR statusÉ

Grateful for any comments or guidance.
[/size]

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

1. We are therefore less optimistic for a Masters degree admission. Hence now looking at any Business or Acccounting related 2 year PG course - hoping it would provide 3 year PGWP. I suppose any post secondary diploma would be highly unconvincing for visa purposes.

Yes, there is almost no chance for a Master degree level course. May be you would like to consider a few low ranking MBA schools (particularly a ‘Vancouver Island University'). It's a low ranking MBA school giving admission without any requirement for GMAT and work experience. It's a 18 month course with around 30,000+ tuition fee, and the same is qualified for a 3 year PGWP.

Otherwise, you can also try for a ‘Global Business Management' program in Humber College, Ontario. It's a PG Diploma level business program. I am not sure but I think it's a two year program (refer school website). And also, the Concordia University (John Molson School of Business) is offering a 1 year PG Diploma in Business Administration. It's one of the best MBA School in Canada. However, tuition is quite high.

In other words, the only viable option is to go for a business level course (at a PG level). May be you should check out Humber college!

2. Not sure what would a Bachelor's degree application weigh - i.e. if we were successful in earning some credits for a bachelors degree in any Uni and get to do a 2 or 3 years Bachelor's degree. Will that have a better visa potential?

The point is how you shall convince visa officer of your credibility/profile. I do not think if it's a viable option to go for a Bachelor course. It should be a PG level course. Getting a student visa is all about a profile.

3. My worry includes visa officer's stance considering the applicants brother and family are PRs (hence roots back home etc). Leaves us with only Mom back in India - who I intend to unite in Toronto, with us asap anyway.

This fact has nothing to do with your brother's visa processing. Your visa status in Canada has nothing to do with your sibling prospective. In any case, your brother needs to show/prove that he hold intention of returning back to his country on the completion of his program.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Many thank enfield for your prompt and specific responses.

You are right about the Humber 2 year PG diploma course. And we had registered and selected this course through the ontariocolleges.ca application centre. Now awaiting th IELTS results which has been asked by them for the next step.

A similar 2 year Global Business course is there in Centennial College as well -who is again awaiting our IELTS score.

Will start with the Concordia and the Vancouver Island Uni MBA courses like you guided - thanks so much for the information.

On the PR status - what I meant was the VO while considering my bro`s student visa may think it is less likely that this student will return back to India. But then again I was simply thinking aloud - for who can predict at that level of detail. We will do our best and hope for a positive outcome.

Thanks again, and good luck on your front!

enfield said:
Hi,

1. We are therefore less optimistic for a Masters degree admission. Hence now looking at any Business or Acccounting related 2 year PG course - hoping it would provide 3 year PGWP. I suppose any post secondary diploma would be highly unconvincing for visa purposes.

Yes, there is almost no chance for a Master degree level course. May be you would like to consider a few low ranking MBA schools (particularly a ‘Vancouver Island University'). It's a low ranking MBA school giving admission without any requirement for GMAT and work experience. It's a 18 month course with around 30,000+ tuition fee, and the same is qualified for a 3 year PGWP.

Otherwise, you can also try for a ‘Global Business Management' program in Humber College, Ontario. It's a PG Diploma level business program. I am not sure but I think it's a two year program (refer school website). And also, the Concordia University (John Molson School of Business) is offering a 1 year PG Diploma in Business Administration. It's one of the best MBA School in Canada. However, tuition is quite high.

In other words, the only viable option is to go for a business level course (at a PG level). May be you should check out Humber college!

2. Not sure what would a Bachelor's degree application weigh - i.e. if we were successful in earning some credits for a bachelors degree in any Uni and get to do a 2 or 3 years Bachelor's degree. Will that have a better visa potential?

The point is how you shall convince visa officer of your credibility/profile. I do not think if it's a viable option to go for a Bachelor course. It should be a PG level course. Getting a student visa is all about a profile.

3. My worry includes visa officer's stance considering the applicants brother and family are PRs (hence roots back home etc). Leaves us with only Mom back in India - who I intend to unite in Toronto, with us asap anyway.

This fact has nothing to do with your brother's visa processing. Your visa status in Canada has nothing to do with your sibling prospective. In any case, your brother needs to show/prove that he hold intention of returning back to his country on the completion of his program.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Hi,

The IELTS latest result is overall band 6. listening-6,reading-5.5 writing-5 and speaking-6.5

B.Com - 3 yrs had 50%

LOAN: It seems HDFC (in Hyd) does not give loans for Canada. We may not need the loan - but were only trying so hoping for a better visa outcome. We have the required funds in bank - for all college expences + living + airfare + incidentals etc.

1) Is a loan still required? HSBC, HDFC and Karnataka Banks do not provide - so which bank does, for PG Diploma courses in colleges
2) Does this IELTS score meet SPP criteria
3) Do we have sufficient time to apply for Jan 2012 intake (sounds very tight) - Humber and Centennial college 2 yr PG Dip in Global Business. Else will go for May 2012.
4) like enfield suggested I am writing to Vancouver Island Uni & Concordia Uni for MBA with our IELTS score and B.Com etc.
5) May need to improve upon IELTS for Uni - the ask on the website is 6.5 overall. Apart from British Council course - is there any suggestion on how to improve IELTS - specially the written part. If not then we will enroll for the British Council course.

Any other suggestion from any one.

Look forward to hearing from members and thanks in advance

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hinavin said:
Hi,

The IELTS latest result is overall band 6. listening-6,reading-5.5 writing-5 and speaking-6.5

B.Com - 3 yrs had 50%

LOAN: It seems HDFC (in Hyd) does not give loans for Canada. We may not need the loan - but were only trying so hoping for a better visa outcome. We have the required funds in bank - for all college expences + living + airfare + incidentals etc.

1) Is a loan still required? HSBC, HDFC and Karnataka Banks do not provide - so which bank does, for PG Diploma courses in colleges
2) Does this IELTS score meet SPP criteria
3) Do we have sufficient time to apply for Jan 2012 intake (sounds very tight) - Humber and Centennial college 2 yr PG Dip in Global Business. Else will go for May 2012.
4) like enfield suggested I am writing to Vancouver Island Uni & Concordia Uni for MBA with our IELTS score and B.Com etc.
5) May need to improve upon IELTS for Uni - the ask on the website is 6.5 overall. Apart from British Council course - is there any suggestion on how to improve IELTS - specially the written part. If not then we will enroll for the British Council course.

Any other suggestion from any one.

Look forward to hearing from members and thanks in advance
Hi,

1. Yes, you a need loan. The reason is quite simple. It’s the only way to satisfy the visa officer that you hold a ‘reliable source’ of funding. It’s not just a loan, in fact a summary of your overall financial status. You can apply in UCO bank (I can confirm they provide educational loan for PG Diploma courses)

2. You should ask if this IELTS score meet the requirement of admission process. You need 6.5 bands for Concordia University (1 year GDBA course), Vancouver Island University (for 18 months MBA course) and Humber College (2 year GBM). Your brother is not qualified with the said IELTS score.

3. You are late. And for May 2012 intake, your time to put off visa application starts from Feb-1st week, 2012.

4. I think you should try first in Humber (or any equivalent school) offering a two year GBM. I do not think if a 50 percent mark in B.Com is going to work in Concordia University’s 1 year GDBA program. They have above-average selection criteria. And keep in mind you need a 4 year undergraduate degree for this school. I am NOT sure about Vancouver Island University (refer website if they ask for a four year undergraduate degree).

5. Practice, Introspection, Practice, Introspection.....and final assault.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Many thanks Enfield! Helpful indeed.

Apologies for the delay in acknowledging your good response.

sinp stud

Feb 26, 2012
Hi there.

Just to give everyone some guidelines re: international student planning to secure PGWP & PR

In 2009 i went to Saskatchewan in student permit. studied acertificate program (8mons). After 6 months of studying, i secured off campus work permit so i can do part time jobs after school. There was a catch tho, after graduating, when i was securing Post graduation work permit. I was denied. Reasons were very off!

Visa officer said that since I secured off campus work permit immediately six months after studying, then i may not be a bona fide student. Meaning i came to canada to work but not to study.

Hence, to all those who are planning to study then apply for PGWP then PR. I strongly suggest not to secure off campus work permit. Instead, if you badly need a job while studying you can always work on campus (meaning the school where you are currently enrolled in). I'm just sharing my experience so it don't need to happen to anyone again..

Goodluck guys!

H

HBK

@ enfield
you can apply in UCO bank (I can confirm they provide educational loan for PG Diploma courses)

Hey enfield,Do u have any idea for approval of educational loan from uco bank, what will be the bank's requirement?
I mean what type of paper they usally asks?

Thanks brother