+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

student visa to work visa

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
i am an international student going on the fourth year and due to financial difficulties i can't afford to pay for school next year($40.000) so i was thinking of hiring a lawyer and applying for a work visa instead. yeah this will mean i will not graduate but i have been supporting myself ever since i got here 3 years ago and got a job right away. Currently, i work at a bank.

Since i haven't really graduated, i see that the chances of me changing the study visa to work visa are low but i have enough in savings to hire an attorney and before i do that i want to be aware of all of my options. if anyone can give me any insight into this matter i'd deeply appreciate it.

i got the idea of hiring a lawyer because i lot of friends i have here got their PR by hiring very good lawyers even though they didn't exactly fit into any categories for a work visa. They all told me i should hire a very good lawyer. i just want to know what can be done.

(Putting of my school for a while does not concern me. Getting a work visa actually will help me save more money since with a study visa I am only allowed to work 20h/week which is nothing.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i am an international student going on the fourth year and due to financial difficulties i can't afford to pay for school next year($40.000) so i was thinking of hiring a lawyer and applying for a work visa instead. yeah this will mean i will not graduate but i have been supporting myself ever since i got here 3 years ago and got a job right away. Currently, i work at a bank.

Since i haven't really graduated, i see that the chances of me changing the study visa to work visa are low but i have enough in savings to hire an attorney and before i do that i want to be aware of all of my options. if anyone can give me any insight into this matter i'd deeply appreciate it.

i got the idea of hiring a lawyer because i lot of friends i have here got their PR by hiring very good lawyers even though they didn't exactly fit into any categories for a work visa. They all told me i should hire a very good lawyer. i just want to know what can be done.

(Putting of my school for a while does not concern me. Getting a work visa actually will help me save more money since with a study visa I am only allowed to work 20h/week which is nothing.)
If you want to change to a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process typically takes 4-6 months to complete. The first step is for your employer to advertise your job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. If you happen to work for one of the big five banks, they won't be willing to go through the LMIA process.

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
If you want to change to a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process typically takes 4-6 months to complete. The first step is for your employer to advertise your job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. If you happen to work for one of the big five banks, they won't be willing to go through the LMIA process.
is the LMIA process the only way?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
is the LMIA process the only way?
You've given us no information to go on - so very hard to say.

Where are you from? What country? What level of education have you previously completed? Do you have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession? (Note that any work you have done while a student in Canada cannot be counted.)

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
i am from eastern europe and i have completed high school back home.
i have worked in canada part time during school and full time during the summer.( how come ? the cic says that it does count)
i have worked at tims, money mart, and as a customer service representative)

i know my case is a bit complicated that's why i want to hire( or at least consult with) a lawyer. i think that is my best chance. but i am looking for a lawyer that will take my case seriously and i do not now anyone.

i have looked into PR too but i think the chances are even lower, if not impossible for a pr.

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
Getting a PR without a lawyer is not difficult assuming you meet the requirements.
i have seen the cic page and i only have a hight school diploma and 3 work of canadian experience as a tims crew member, money mart and bank teller. i do think i fit into any of the categories for a pr. and i have a cousin here in canada that is a citizen( he was born here) if that matters.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i am from eastern europe and i have completed high school back home.
i have worked in canada part time during school and full time during the summer.( how come ? the cic says that it does count)
i have worked at tims, money mart, and as a customer service representative)

i know my case is a bit complicated that's why i want to hire( or at least consult with) a lawyer. i think that is my best chance. but i am looking for a lawyer that will take my case seriously and i do not now anyone.

i have looked into PR too but i think the chances are even lower, if not impossible for a pr.
Which country in Easter Europe? We need specifics if you want help.

The part time work you did while here in the summer cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program. Only work experience once you complete your studies here can be counted.

Without at least a year of paid and skilled work experience from your home country - there really aren't any immigration options open to you.