+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa to U.S

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
PMM,Could you kindly respond to my doubts in case it follows within the purview of this forum

My son is likely to be proceeding to US for higher education and the rest of the family is planning to proceed to Canada to take their PR. Of course,my son will also be entitled to take his PR. Can he proceed to Canada and proceed to U.S. after taking his U.S student Visa from India or he should take his student Visa itself from Canada. Is there a bar to taking his U.S student Visa from Canada.

Secondly,are we supposed to hand over our passports to the Canadian authorities while applying for our SIN card? In case it is decided that the principal applicant will authorise her or his spouse to collect the PR from the Canadian authorities while he or she decides to leave for India after a short stay in Canada of about a week how would she be able to travel having handed over the passport (in case she has to)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PARAMHAMS03 said:
PMM,Could you kindly respond to my doubts in case it follows within the purview of this forum

My son is likely to be proceeding to US for higher education and the rest of the family is planning to proceed to Canada to take their PR. Of course,my son will also be entitled to take his PR. Can he proceed to Canada and proceed to U.S. after taking his U.S student Visa from India or he should take his student Visa itself from Canada. Is there a bar to taking his U.S student Visa from Canada.

Secondly,are we supposed to hand over our passports to the Canadian authorities while applying for our SIN card? In case it is decided that the principal applicant will authorise her or his spouse to collect the PR from the Canadian authorities while he or she decides to leave for India after a short stay in Canada of about a week how would she be able to travel having handed over the passport (in case she has to)
1. Probably a US question, but I cannot see how it makes any difference if he obtains his student visa in India, lands in Canada, then proceeds to the US for his schooling. You should note that he will still be required to maintain his pr in Canada by residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5.

2. No, you only show your passports with the COPR when apply for the SIN card. They are not retained.

PMM

EdwardRayburn

Mar 14, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before applying for a visa to U.S, all student and exchange visitor applicants are required to be accepted and approved for their program. If you are going to the U.S. initially for tourism, but want to take a short course of study that is recreational, and the course is less than 18 hours per week, you may be able to do so on a visitor (B) visa.